Gun Pointed

Hi, i was on a leisurely out and back flight the other night, i played with a balloon, then started heading back, on the return leg i noticed a crop circle and descended to look at it (i was at about 900 ft and descended to 500) whilst photographing the crop circle i saw someone in a nearby house pointing a gun at me, needless to say, i left the area pretty damn fast.

i am in a dilemma, should i report it to the police and bring attention to paramotoring, which has the possibility of bad press or just let it go??

If you do report it, you can be sure that the police will take it very seriously. They are under a lot of pressure to take anything gun related seriously.

However, you will probably find it was a teenager with an air rifle/pistol.

In a previous life I used to be in the cops and confiscated more air weapons from teenagers than I care to remember. Normally they were brought to my attention by people who had had them pointed at them.

I find it very unlikely it will be a farmer with a shotgun, unless he's completely stupid....but you never know.

Dan

i saw someone in a nearby house pointing a gun at me,

I'm with Poz on this - also how close were you to the house, was he IN the house ?, and how could you tell he was pointing at you ? there is a flip side of this i.e. someone was innocently plinking at tin cans in their garden and did not know you were even there ? If it's a farmer waving a shotty at you then it's a different ball game he needs locking up especially after the recent incident in the news !

Shotgun's only good to kill rabbits at little more than a hundred feet range. Stay 500 and above...you'll be fine

243 rifle is a different matter but a firearms license holder wouldn't point it skyward. The bullet would travel 6 miles and he'll be keen to get it in the ground if not a deer

No wish to sympathise with nutters but how high were you and how good is your eyesight ?

Dave

Personally, I would let this go. I have been out shooting numerous times at the back of my house and aircraft have flown over but it doesn't mean I want to have a pop at them. If you report this, the chap can simply say he was out shooting vermin. He was probably enjoying his hobby of shooting as you were enjoying yours of flying. And from 500ft I wouldn't think it was possible to say if a gun was pointing at you or not.

However, if you are adamant it was pointing directly at you, then you will decide what is best.

I am a farmer, gun holder and paramotorist, so I can understand all angles of this.

On a flight 2 years ago i had some fireworks directed at me whilst making an approach to land... I immediately started to climb fast again and circled over the area to see if i could ascertain where they were launched from- but was unable to make a positive ID... I decided not to report this, as it may have only given more people the idea to launch fireworks...

Would be a very serious issue though if they did make contact with the wing- luckily they exploded beneath me.

GD

With that in mind, and if you were just flying over fields following the 500ft rule then I'd be tempted to report him, you can't just threaten people like that with a firearm, however it's your call as you would have to make the report etc etc, maybe drop local plod an email with a map showing the location of the house where he lived and a description of the events.

it was definitely an irate adult and he definitely pointed the gun at me and gestured for me to leave

Bignos, if it really occurred exactly how you described it above, ie irate adult, gesturing you to leave, then we shouldn't even be debating this matter, you should have reported the incident to the police and the CAA immediately on landing.

The reason? Well apart from the obvious, who will he point his gun at next, someone else who, in his distorted opinion, deserves to have a gun pointed at him.

Dan

Here is a shot from about 800ft (on approach), he was stood next to the grey barn on the left next to the black 4x4 outside the barn (hiding behind the tree below and to the left of the barn).

Google earth co-ordinates

52*15'33.69"N

1*26'53.65"W

P1050568web.jpg.ab6d89a3de69fc07047ff5c9

Edited by Guest

First firearm rule!!!!

NEVER point a weapon at someone, not even in jest.

Mistakes happen.

I saw a guy loose the bottom of his left leg when his best mate shot him with an SA80.

SW :D

thanks all, good points! but will it not be my word against his, a lot of shit, then no result like it usually is with the boys in blue??

I agree with you, I doubt the police would take it seriously once he denied his action.

However why not visit him, be polite and friendly, explain why you flew over and show him the phot. At the moment he thinks a PPG pilot has vandalised his crop which would make me angry. Your positive action to approach him will I am sure persuade him that it wasn't you. He may be friendly and appologetic, who knows may be the location of the next fly in.

Its good to talk.

If he is arsey then approach police, the fact that you have tried to clarify and resolve the initial incident with the rifle will add quality to your story with the police.

Thats what I would do.

Whitters.