Jump to content

Tablet for running Nav apps


AndySV1K
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

Just to clarify, i'm very much an Apple fanboy (yes i know, i'm an idiot).  I'm planning what I will use to fly with for navigation and tracking etc.  I initially thought my phone but actually I want to keep that free for photos and videos etc.

So then I thought, i'll sell my iPad and get an iPad mini.  Velcro it to my flight deck and hey presto!

But then.......I'm thinking, why not look for an android tablet.  There must be one that will do a perfectly good job and likely be half the price.

So....any recommendations for an android tablet with a decent bright screen that will be good for PPGPS or Runway HD etc?

(Or should I stick to plan A and destroy my bank balance and get an iPad?)

Andy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm also a bit interested. Every screen on the market for everyday tablets sucks for outdoor use. Some of the rugged tablets can handle sunlight better, or they claim it at least.

There is anti glare screen covers that helps against the worst reflection, and that is what I would aim for together with the best tablet you are willing to pay for. Right now the Samsung tab S3 family are the dominating on the android side. But the best Asus for half the price looks good enough. Maybe the best compromise, and just shade it with your arm when you need to look down on it.

The second alternative is the latest e-ink tablet, check BOOX Note 10" should be out any day now. Modern hardware and Android 6.0, finger sensitivity and 16 gray scale. Best in class and amazing battery time while in use and standby. Just connect it to a multi purpose Bluetooth variometer with GPS. But it cost like a premium tablet.
I would mainly buy one for reading on sunny days. It would cure the frustration you get when your phone or tablet looks like a dark mirror in the sun. But it doesn't have all the features a regular tablet have, GPS, gyro, cameras, 4G etc... I would still miss that.

For free flying there are dedicated products with all kinds of features to help you fly better and navigate. Some of them use e-ink screens, others like Naviter use color screens that works.
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 07/03/2018 at 12:13, AndySV1K said:

Hi,

Just to clarify, i'm very much an Apple fanboy (yes i know, i'm an idiot).  I'm planning what I will use to fly with for navigation and tracking etc.  I initially thought my phone but actually I want to keep that free for photos and videos etc.

So then I thought, i'll sell my iPad and get an iPad mini.  Velcro it to my flight deck and hey presto!

But then.......I'm thinking, why not look for an android tablet.  There must be one that will do a perfectly good job and likely be half the price.

So....any recommendations for an android tablet with a decent bright screen that will be good for PPGPS or Runway HD etc?

(Or should I stick to plan A and destroy my bank balance and get an iPad?)

Andy.

Hi i am also in this dilemma what did you use at the end of the day pls advise me the android , your kind response will be appreciated  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a warning as I have apple also, PPGPS does not properly support Apple so dont do it! The Flyskyhy works well for me.

I had big hopes for the PPGPS but on iphone wont let you download maps so for me fail.

I have the maps add-on and run on an old Iphone 6 in a ruggid case (originally used for my motorbike) that is tethered and velcrod to my flight deck.

I do have it hooked to a 2500mAh battery bank in the flight deck and battery life is fine.

Its also running the music over BT to my Microavionics headset.

The flight log is a nice feature and it does sho keep out zones if you keep it upto date.

For short or local I just use my Garmin watch with Flight app, very similar to Stufly but supports my more basic Vivioactive 3.

This also generates a flight log, basic VSI and GS with GPS weypoint if needed. Nice feature is the I´m lost pointer to home :)

The Kobo based sysems look nice if you plan a lot of long trips but at this time I have enough tech.

Dave

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Dave for your prompt response , my problem that is my eye sight needs to enjoy a bigger screen say 9-10 inch , My current Huawei P10 Pro work well and battery power brilliant , but size of the screen is a problem , i have bought about 3 tablet and seems like the compass does not work on them so Ppgps does not work 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Richie Rich said:

my problem that is my eye sight needs to enjoy a bigger screen

Why don't you get some bifocal safety glasses.  would help to keep the wind out your eyes and be able to read items on your flight desk. You can get them from Fleabay for a few quid.

Old codgers like me need things like that.

Tony

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Lmao Great to hear that! I must say, however, the entire field of Nav Apps needs to be tweaked a little. While there are some really good "free" apps on the App Store, they pale in comparison to the paid ones. However, the paid ones are good, but don't offer satisfactory features. it's a really paltry toss-up in my opinion.

~Sanjeev Nanda 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, alan_k said:

Have you looked at EasyVFR, there is a basic (free) and paid for versions.

+1 for easy VFR.

Free, regular updates of maps, and daily notam updates on map. 

If you have access to a windows PC you can generate routes on skydemon light and transfer them for use in easyvfr. The transfer is a bit fiddly, but its doable. I run it on a cheap tablet without much issues (Huawei mediaset t7) which has gps but no barometer. I dont know of any android tablets with the latter.

The downside is finding a screen readable in direct sunlight. For that reason I have made a cheap kobo also. Yet to try it but functionality is nowhere near the above. I am hoping to use both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, grumble56 said:

This topic has drifted so far from the original (2 years ago) that its almost worthless.

https://www.mipfly.com

Had a look at this last year at Parafest and was impressed by the clarity of the screen and the abilty to customise. Its primarily a PG instrument but very useful for PPG

 

I looked at that too, as well as the Syride Sys'Evolution, but in the end went with the Naviter Oudie. Seemed the best established and supported option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/04/2020 at 05:27, grumble56 said:

This topic has drifted so far from the original (2 years ago) that its almost worthless.

https://www.mipfly.com

Had a look at this last year at Parafest and was impressed by the clarity of the screen and the abilty to customise. Its primarily a PG instrument but very useful for PPG

 

Now that is a beauty, isn't it? i I would love to have a whirl at it sometime in the near future. I am also concerned that the features provided by the mipfly, would be effortlessly emulated by any random phone out there. Nevertheless, a great product to know about.

~Sanjeev Nanda

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Sanjeev.Nanda said:

Now that is a beauty, isn't it? i I would love to have a whirl at it sometime in the near future. I am also concerned that the features provided by the mipfly, would be effortlessly emulated by any random phone out there. Nevertheless, a great product to know about.

~Sanjeev Nanda

The Mipfly is in essence a Linux computer with all the advantages and disadvantages of Open Source. I am not sure where you get the idea that a random phone could 'effortlessly emulate' a device that is built for a specific purpose with sensors chosen for that purpose.Emulating is worthless without accurate sensor input and most phones dont have accurate  enough sensors, why would they ?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...