Patrick's Progression

• 1 month later...

Day 29 01/03/14

At last! A beautiful flyable day , it's just that it's the first in 7 weeks for me.

Turned up at Membury around 0830 and walked the field......it was very very wet, and according to SW, who was pretty surprised himself- as wet as it's been all Winter. Sat and contemplated whether it was worth the aggro of getting all the kit dirty and wet for half an hour or so then decided- yes really needed to get up again. The conditions were just right again for my trip to Savernake Forest ( by the way thats Savernack, if you're local, not Savernake as in snake... as I was corrected!)

I had brought my aluminium trestle so at least I wasnt going to be grovelling around in the mud.

image.jpg[/attachment]

So dirty wet kit, no flight, hurt pride and a decent contribution to Gilo's next Caribbean Cruise. Not the greatest day.

New prop ordered and rang Clive Bunce about a new middle D line DP2, brilliant service from the Dudek Importer,

"Be in the post next couple of days"

"How do you want paying"

" No worries, single lines are all part of the service-free"

There's a spot on example of Customer service, minimal cost to the company but great value in enhanced reputation.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Patrick mate... your blogs are funny! lol

Sorry about your flopped launch mate but at least you have that out the way now :-) ( I recon Jim was pointing the wrong way BTW)

SW :D

if you think its time to abort..... it probably is.

It's very true but takes a little time in learning.

Plus the extra expense of mending the damaged kit afterwards.

Ben there and done that more than once.

Take it from experience, if you think it's going pear shaped - stop!

If you don't manage to get in the air on a particular day, at least you've had some exercise :?

Glad it wasn't too bad,

Alan

Bad luck, Pat.

When it starts to go wrong, it goes wrong very quickly, doesn`t it?

I`ve been reading your blog over the last year or so and some of your experiences - and the timing of them - is very close to my own, we probably started training at a similar time and have similar air-time, and the coincidences continue to this day when i also suffered my first prop break.

Setting up in zero to occasional light wind - and variable.

I knew on this launch i had to be comitted and make a good first-time effort, but had a feeling that it might go a bit Pete Tong..

Not flown since 19th Jan.

Pulled the wing up in a forward and it went off to one side, i also did a bit of the `Benny Hills` thinking a bit of ground speed would snap the wing overhead, i saw the wing to one side and should have aborted at that point.

The wing stopped flying and the motor thrust caused me to fall forwards to the ground to hear that unmistakable, sickening sound of splintering wood i`ve heard so many times on Youtube but hoped i would never hear first-hand myself. Fat chance..

Lessons learnt for me today - take off directly into wind EVERY time, and if it looks like it ain`t going to plan, abort before comitting to power...

I also contacted Clive today, and am going up to see him tomorrow - the sooner i can replace the damaged prop and get the Bulldog looking complete again the sooner i can pretend it never happened..

Unfortunately, he doesn`t do props as `all part of the service`!

It`s all experience though, isn`t it?

prop.jpg

P3010045.jpgP3010044.jpg

If your going to bin that prop, please leave it with Clive and I will pick it up from him, attempt a reoair and bang them back to you. :-)

No guarantee's of course.

They say......

3 hours (a scare)

30 hours (another scare)

300 hours (another scare)

I was told this about 5 years ago from Mike Campbell Joans, its amazingly accurate for most people.

With any luck, this is both of your 3 hours scare's. :-)

You missed out 3 minutes, which is the amount of time I'd been a pilot before ploughing into the side of a mountain and writing off my entire brand new paramotor.

Stevie.....I know it must be painful, but you have piqued my curiosity. Would you be so kind as to share with us those traumatic 3 minutes....or have you posted it before.

Just another leaf in the never-ending file of experiences that the rest of us can learn from.

Cheers.

Rob.

You missed out 3 minutes, which is the amount of time I'd been a pilot before ploughing into the side of a mountain and writing off my entire brand new paramotor.

Stevie.....I know it must be painful, but you have piqued my curiosity. Would you be so kind as to share with us those traumatic 3 minutes....or have you posted it before.

Just another leaf in the never-ending file of experiences that the rest of us can learn from.

Cheers.

Rob.

It was sub-zero degrees, we'd been on the hill all day and it was a combination of I seized up with the cold (couldn't move my frozen hands properly as I had inappropriately thin gloves on), had no experience of landing and had pushed my instructor to let me get in the air before I probably should have done. It was entirely my fault. My wing had the sink rate of a ship's anchor, my motor had no clutch and I hadn't killed the motor. I did a hill landing so didn't flare in time and effectively hit the ground at full whack. The chassis, frame and everything else was mangled in the impact. It was after that that I discovered Parajet's customer service and how much they cared about getting me back into the air as quickly as possible.

Well, looks like I've got myself an almost brand new set of Macro blades.

In desperation I was trawling the web just putting in "Parajet prop" and there amongst a sea of previously read pages was a new one to a Hovercraft site , of all things!

Turns out they had been down to see Parajet about using their props on a new model they were building, I even managed to speak to Jim at PJ who remember them.

The props were too noisy for their application so were slung in the back of a cupboard, so voila! One set of Macro blades with 35 minutes on them for £170.

They are not the blingy ones with clear gel coat, but I'm assured by PJ they have just the same properties

:D:D:D:D

for the desperate..

I have also sussed that if you can get a two blade hub ( expensive :-( ) but better than no flying. the Minari 180 2 blade prop that Parajet supply is exactly the same as the old two blade macro was. :-)

I am one of the lucky ones... I have a two blade hub.

Here's what I found out during my search from various sources, for future reference

Parajet Macro V2 propellers

3 Blade Props with 3 Blade Hub (3.2:1 reduction)

-Parajet 3 Blade scimitar Macro prop made for them by Hi-Fly

-Helix 3 Blade-H30F 1.25m L-M-09-3.

-Helix 3 Blade ordered through Parajet PROP-H-XT-125-3 Blade Helix 1,25 XT

2 Blade Props, with 2 Blade Hub (2.6:1 reduction, I think)

-Minari F1-ME9 Propeller from Parajet

-Corsair M25y, 2.6 reduction, 120cm - carbon fibre, 2 piece, (6xM8x75)

Model number L120-S2-05AA-C,

http://paramotorpropeller.com/JPX%20Cor ... fault.html

-E-Prop, M25Y Black Devil - red 2.6 - 2-blades - dia 125 - 6M8d75

http://www.shop.electravia.fr/catalog/p ... s_id=10352