Patrick's Progression

Congratulations Pat.

Re. the power before launching thing: I've heard of this technique, but never found it necessary.

I've always (so far) found that, even in nil wind, so long as I keep forward pressure on the harness, the wing inflates evenly and comes straight up.

'Forward pressure on the harness' means moving forward (or attempting to move forward) right from the start.

As soon as the wing is overhead, I look up once to check all is as it should be, while simultaneously squeezing the throttle and building thrust. If all is well, full throttle and a few paces of RLF results in a clean launch.

Most, if not all of my failed launches have been caused by my own hesitation. The key is to keep the wing moving through the air fast enough that it can fly properly.

I look forward to flying with you in the future.

I don't think the power before moving is anything to do with inflating the wing, I think as you say it's to do with maintaining movement. I have found it is a great aid to getting 17stone moving without total reliance on the old pins, ie just gives you good shove to get you going!

I think it's useful in light wind no matter what your weight / size to be honest.

Think of it as just helping with that initial drag up of the wing in nil wind, like a mate giving you a gentle push :-)

If you have a damp wing this is also a very very helpful thing to do.

SW :D

Yes, thanks, they were mentioned at the field. Although it was also said that all that's needed is to open up the casing at the field before flying and let everything attain the same temperature.

Then again it may be that the fogging only occurred on this occasion after I got down, whatever the truth it didn't affect the quality too much

• 2 weeks later...

So, the weather over the weekend wasnt really conducive to flying., was it?

There had looked to be the possibility of sneaking a flight in late on Saturday as the wind died away, so I put a call into SW, but he thought after such a turbulent few days even with calm winds at ground level things might still be pretty bumpy aloft so I had to can that idea.

Nevertheless, I spoke to a local pilot who was going to have a go later if it all calmed down and I said I'd go down and watch him fly. So I met up with Phil at 4:30 and watched him take to the air with his new Nucleon and Bulldog.

It turned out to be a very still evening and because it had clouded over 100%, quite silky up above.

I just need a few more flights at Membury to gain a bit more confidence and then I will be in a position to be able to react to conditions as they occur and fly locally, but for this weekend I missed out.

Fair enough dude.

That evening Little Col and I were sat looking at the weather here and it only just got flyable for the last 30 mins or so at best but then we are allot higher up.

SW :D

Agreed. The call we made earlier in the day was perfectly reasonable .it only came right here (lower than Membury) at 4:30, by that time, I'd never have got home packed the kit, got back in time.

I still think I'd like to make sure I can repeat my last spot landing a few times and prove it wasn't a one off!

• 4 weeks later...

Day 23 10th November 2013

Had, had my eye on Sunday as a chance to get airborne again, from mid-week. And sure enough Sunday dawned crisp and clear. This would be my first fly out of Summer , so I layered up well and packed a flying suit, knowing it would be cold but without any experience of how cold it might actually be aloft.

The first sign something might not be quite as forecast was a sharp little squal down the lane as I packed the car at 7 in the morning, and a glance up at the poplars across from the house, confirmed a bit more breeze than I wanted to see.

I'd emptied the fuel tank of the couple of litres that had been in there for 7 weeks since my last flight ( so: open the debate here as to whether that's really necessary with modern 2 stroke oils) so a stop at Savacentre was needed for some new,on my way down to Membury.

As I got out the car at the services on my way for a Starbucks , I thought the windsock looked a bit too active as I looked across the fence to the Airfield and when I drove round 5 minutes later, sure enough there was already a good 8 or 9 mph blowing and it was only 8 am.

Rich turned up hoping for his first flight and in due course Simon,Col, Chris and three Newbies for their first lesson, but all were to be disappointed, it was a rare occasion when WeatherProHD got it significantly wrong with the wind a steady 12-15 instead of the 8 predicted.

So it turned into a coffee morning with some chat about this and that with the odd bit of instructive stuff about Air chart reading and reserve deployment thrown in .

So no flying today, a big disappointment for all, especially the three new guys/girl hoping to get started.

image.jpg

DAY 24 16th November Flight 10

To paraphrase an old aviation adage " A good flight is any flight where you dont damage yourself or the aircraft" on those criteria, it was a good flight,but thats where the goodness ends, I'm afraid.

I am definitely not over that cusp in training where 8 weeks without a flight doesnt make a difference!

It was a near nil wind day with what little there was coming from W to SW and it took me 5 goes to get up. :roll:

Not really the demonstration I should have been giving to the three new Guys and Girl there for their first day,but Hey, we dont want them getting a rose tinted view of the sport, now, do we?

No 1 - Not pointing into what wind there was

No 2 - Lack of committment on the throttle at the critical moment

No 3 - Ditto and my first face plant, but luckily no £300 sound of splintering carbon :fail:

Quick breather

No 4 - Not pointing into what wind there was, getting boring now

No 5 - Thankfully a decent forward nil wind launch, perhaps a bit more push on the As to overcome that hanging back thing

Then I had a real struggle getting into the seat. I think it being my first time with the bulk a flying suit a bit more harness adjustment required, problem is I'm not sure there is any more! Some serious tugging once I had some altitude got me in , in the end

The plan had been to do a 20 mile triangular course NE to Woolley Park, South to Welford Park and West back to Membury, but straight away it was clear that the viz was way too low and added to that the cloud ceiling was only about 700ft AGL, so I turned west and just pottered around the Airfield.

I had a great view of the massive convoy of one of the old boilers? from the de-commissioned Didcot Power Station on its slow journey to Bristol Docks and then scrapping in the Far East, I suppose. No photos I'm afraid, I still dont seem to be able to manipulate equipment out of pockets in flight

It was now getting a bit damp, not out and out rain but a heavy mist was enough to start feeling wet on my face and it was time to get down.

Came in over the West end of the field, killing my motor once over the field, I tried to remember my previous good landing , resisting the urge to flare too early. I probably committed 10ft too high, but I still levelled out nicely but lacked enough brake authority and just failed to land on my feet, but not a bad one at all.

So I'm glad to have flown again but I need a few more in quick succesion to ensure the learning stays ingrained.

P1020368.JPG[/attachment]

P1020365.JPG

P1020368.JPG

It was strung from the front door right through the hall, then on into the dog room. Dogs, not happy they had to be banished. Me sweating cobs with the heating on. (Another hidden cost of Paramotoring!)

Still, nearly returned to crispiness now, an overnight airing and it can be packed up.:D