Patrick's Progression

Flight 24 3/8/14

Bit sketchy and blustery

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5854994168

Up early and at the field ahead of what was forecast to be a windy day. It was glassy calm when I arrived and if I'd mastered nil wind forward launches, I should have gone there and then. As it was I wanted to wait a bit for a little breeze to help me.

Firstly it took me 4 goes to get the wing decently over my head in reverse launch then take off was decidedly sketchy :shock:

There was lots of running, correcting surges and nearly getting pushed over before i decided i was going fast enough to dab the brakes and lift off. But even then I spent a good few metres uncomfortably close to the ground but by gently coming on and off the brakes I ratcheted in some height. (Thanks Col B ,that was one of your little gems, that stuck) :lol:

I climbed out over Sulham Woods, keeping a bit East of Purley Hall, so as not to disturb their Sunday morning lie in too much and set off into the stiffening Southerly.

Except I didnt really set off at all, I soon found myself at about 1200ft hovering over the woods above Sulham House in full fast trim :(

Sulham House.JPG

Well done Pat.

That's another feather in your cap, for when things turn nasty. Flying in only perfect conditions can make one complacent and unprepared for when things don't go according to plan.

Experience is something we cannot get from a text book. You made the right call in getting back to base when the wind picked up.

Sorry but while I'm here, it is better to land safely 1 mile from your car than try and battle the elements as they get worse, trying to get back to your take-off field. (This is when things turn really nasty and you need to know your limitations, and not exceed them.)

Fly Safe.

Cheers.

Rob.

Well done Pat.

Sorry but while I'm here, it is better to land safely 1 mile from your car than try and battle the elements as they get worse, trying to get back to your take-off field. (This is when things turn really nasty and you need to know your limitations, and not exceed them.

Thank you for the feedback

You are right of course, Rob. In this case though, I was turning downwind for the run back to the field, so once I'd decided to go back I was on the ground within 4 minutes.

Whenever there is anything more than a slight breeze I usually fly into wind, then the return leg is always quicker, always useful if conditions do deteriorate.

Regarding forward launches: I turned up for my last flight to find nil wind, nada, nothing.

So I mentally psyched myself to concentrate on technique. A really good forward push, hands guiding the risers as high as possible and crucially pushing on the risers until I knew the wing was fully above me, then a long run until I could feel the lift.

It needs concentration and mental commitment, in your mind is 'you WILL take off'. I had a lovely flight with plenty of low level tree dodging.

Keep at it Pat you will get there,

Cheers,

Alan

Whenever there is anything more than a slight breeze I usually fly into wind, then the return leg is always quicker, always useful if conditions do deteriorate.

Regarding forward launches: I turned up for my last flight to find nil wind, nada, nothing.

So I mentally psyched myself to concentrate on technique. A really good forward push, hands guiding the risers as high as possible and crucially pushing on the risers until I knew the wing was fully above me, then a long run until I could feel the lift.

It needs concentration and mental commitment, in your mind is 'you WILL take off'. I had a lovely flight with plenty of low level tree dodging.

Keep at it Pat you will get there,

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the advice. Yes ,I always go outward into wind, hence why once I decided enough was enough it was such a quick return to the field. I also recognise all your words on forward launches!

When forward launching, I find it is easy to spend too long checking the wing before starting the run.

As soon as the wing gets overhead and I can feel both risers are pointing upwards, a quick glance up is all it takes to check that the wing is wing shaped and the run begins.

My technique is to run with full commitment immediately. It's only my forward speed that is keeping the wing flying.

So long as you have learnt to feel where the wing is through the risers and don't need to look up again, there's no point in trotting along at anything less than launch speed.

It is this style of quick acceleration that gets me into the air in a few paces in nil wind. I suspect it may have also led to one or two hoppy launches, as the wing tends to hang back, only to pitch forward when I leave the ground.

When forward launching, I find it is easy to spend too long checking the wing before starting the run.

As soon as the wing gets overhead and I can feel both risers are pointing upwards, a quick glance up is all it takes to check that the wing is wing shaped and the run begins.

My technique is to run with full commitment immediately. It's only my forward speed that is keeping the wing flying.

So long as you have learnt to feel where the wing is through the risers and don't need to look up again, there's no point in trotting along at anything less than launch speed.

It is this style of quick acceleration that gets me into the air in a few paces in nil wind. I suspect it may have also led to one or two hoppy launches, as the wing tends to hang back, only to pitch forward when I leave the ground.

I have certainly had it drummed into me not to hesitate and go to full power as soon as the wing is up and centred.

I think my usual problem is getting the wing to come up straight. I have just about got the knowing without looking thing, I think.

Patrick, has anyone videoed you attempting the forward launch, it helped me loads a year ago when I failed 4 attempts, as soon as I watched each one back and analysed thoroughly I could tell I was about 4 seconds too late in applying power, so that next time I tried bringing up the power earlier I was successful.

Thanks, Andy. Watching that video, I agree if you'd given it full beans as soon as (or slightly before) it was overhead at about 26secs, you'd have been away, but I still think my problem is getting the wing to come up straight in the first place, if I can get it up straight I have overcome that tendency to hesitate and I'm away.

I still think my problem is getting the wing to come up straight in the first place, if I can get it up straight I have overcome that tendency to hesitate and I'm away.

Hi Patrick, after a couple of months without flying I found my forward launch technique had gone completely rusty - either the wing wasn't coming up square or I couldn't get the power-on timing right. What was once a fluid transition became a series of unrelated actions, I felt uncoordinated and tired and cross and started to question whether it was all worthwhile. I couldn't get Jeremy Clarksons voice out of my head: "POWERRRRRRR!!!"

A visit to see my instructor gave me the impetus I needed (and told me what I knew all along...): back to basics boy...

I was advised to take the motor off and get back into the ground handling groove. Fly the wing, relearn how long to stay on the A's, feeeeeel what it's doing, a perfect symmetrical setup then stay central and keep moving.

Once this was re-established and confidence was building, reintroduced the motor. After a couple of sweaty forward inflations with the motor off I started her up and rediscovered the power transition timing and the importance of standing upright against the thrust. I soon progressed to the "moonwalk", all but flying at ground level, all the time building layers of confidence while always maintaining the option to abort if things went pear shaped.

For me personally I have learnt the importance of avoiding the "I WILL fly this time" mindset. That is the ultimate goal every time I strap in, of course, but my focus is on handling the wing on the ground and the progressive application of power to the point where flight is safely achievable.

So as I'm standing, motor running, A's hooked around my thumbs, I know the wing is setup correctly and straight into any breeze. My focus is "stay on the A's" as I commit to launch. I feel the wing rising above my head, I look up to see it is straight & true, then squeeze on the power, building to full power progressively but without delay. Focussing on a spot on the horizon, keep moving forwards letting the motor and increasingly the wing do all the hard work. At take-off velocity I may chose to dab the brakes or I may just let the earth glide away from under my feet......

God knows it ain't easy and I still prefer a reverse launch through choice, but by getting back to basics I'm now back in the groove.

Sent from my iPad using the rather marvellous PMC Forum mobile app

Great words of wisdom, Bing. I have already pencilled in a trip back to Membury when SW gets back from Sweden. And I did actually get my ground handling harness out last weekend to try some forward practices, but it was that seriously humid and hot day so I only managed a handful before needing a wringing out like a damp rag

Flight 25 6/8/14

Up with the Moon

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5854994168

Managed a sneaky flight this evening just before dark. In the knowledge that its the stuff within 50ft of the ground that needs practice not the bimbling round between, I am trying to get as many Take Offs and Landings in as I can, whilst the good weather lasts.

Todays examples were a bit mediocre, I'm afraid.

There had been a good breeze all day but it was fading nicely by 8pm to 6 or 7mph.

So today was going to be the right way round - a bit of breeze to launch into reducing through the flight, rather than Sunday morning's episode of a sharply increasing one whilst I was aloft.

It took me 4 goes, even in reverse to get the wing to come up how I wanted and even on the fifth I got a bit of tank slapper on as I set off on the run, so I had to bin it.

I still havent quite got that inate sense of correcting any deviation of the wing in take off: I can feel the need for it and direction, but I obviuosly need to finesse my input as I seem to have a tendency to over correct.

The 6th attempt was fine, nice straight pull up and immediate go.

I had another pootle around the local area, always trying to vary my route out of the field to avoid pissing the same person off the whole time!

Obviously still OK with my mate David who lives up the road, because he took this great shot

Moon.JPG

I had to crab my way back against a breeze that hadnt reduced as much as I thought it would. 
My landing wasnt as good as I would have liked. Firstly I didnt compensate for the wind gradient, I positioned myself expecting my Esses , would see me coming down without making much way against the breeze only to find at lower altitude the breeze had decreased and I was now making significant forward progress over the ground, so I landed much longer than I planned.
Not an issue in the my very large field, but not a habit I should get into.
Secondly, I got my flare a little early, so was a bit high for what should have been my touch down. I think I may be slowing too much for touch down, because touching down with zero forward speed and no run off, I have to work hard not to topple over backwards.
Still it was a nothing like my previous mode of fast and hard, heels first! The extra 4" off the brakes and the wait, wait, wait to flare ,were the key to me cracking that.

A couple of lessons learnt ,today
Better landing positioning allowing for less wind lower down
Still need to hold off a bit more in the flare

So thats 25 flights up, which seems like a lot to me, until I try to contemplate the guys who have done hundreds or even thousands-where do you get the time........Phil?

• 4 weeks later...

30/8/14

Missed any flying over the last week or so, out with some sort of tendonitis, luckily probably only missed a couple of flyable days.

Some replacement lines arrived during the week from Dudek in Poland, one to replace the one I knicked in Cornwall and the other an AP2 where the loop stitching was a bit dubious at the riser end, bit strange really because the other A lines showed no sign of the same thing.

Back in the air as soon as I stop hobbling around; next week looks half decent.

• 3 weeks later...

Flight 26 13/09/14

After a frustrating few weeks , firstly dogged by a dodgy Achilles and then by recurrent unsuccessful attempts to get airborne on some beautiful calm evenings , I took to the air again yesterday afternoon.

It was still quite breezy as I set up but pretty steady in direction, I needed a breeze to avoid too much running. And so it was, after an easy reverse pull up and a couple of steps I was away. Although a bit of penduluming in the first few seconds was a bit unnerving.

This was my first Easterly take off from this field and benefitted from being able set up in the recently harvested Western part of the plot.

I had a nice flight NE across the Thames towards Gallowstree Common, skirting some large camping and caravanning gathering at Mapledurham House. I also diverted around Wittles, as I watched a little 3 axis microlight take off from the little farm strip. It was surprising how quickly the bright blue aircraft, so easily visible on the strip, was lost to view as it climbed against the surrounding back drop of woods and fields. A good reminder for always keeping your eyes well peeled.

The flight has also spawned a mushrooming expedition to a field up near Goring Heath, where from 1500ft the "Fairy rings" of lusher grass dotted with bright white field mushrooms were clearly visible.
My return was the usual rapid passage as I turned downwind. Still with plenty of fuel on board I pottered around the edge of Pangbourne, before turning the engine off over the West end of the field and essed it out before making my approach directly into wind for a zero speed touch down in the 8 knot breeze. 

Nice to get back in the air again after a 5 week break, but still no nearer mastering nil wind launches, unfortunately.
The other lesson for today, not learnt from last time, is to carry more speed into the final phase of landing and be prepared to run it off a bit instead of trying to touch down with zero forward speed, which invariably means sitting down as the weight of the machine gets the better of you and topples you backwards.

ImageUploadedByPMC Forum1410699098.260902.jpg

ImageUploadedByPMC Forum1410699119.132495.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Flight 27 21/9/14

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2996855

I had kept my eye on Sundays weather all through the second half of the week as it showed decreasing wind over the day, so I thought if I picked my moment I could have a nice evening flight with a little breeze to help me away and calming conditions through the flight.

I have to admit to making the weather work for my continued lack of forward launch proficiency!

And so it proved- I got to the field and it was blowing a nice steady 9+mph from the NE, while I set up it decreased so that by the time I was ready I launched into about 7mph with a slight left brake correction , a bit of both brakes, another couple of steps and a final dab of the brakes again.

P1030063.JPG

Once up to a 1000ft over Hardwick House I let out the trims and started to make about 17mph groundspeed directly into wind.

I was achieving this with about 3/4 throttle and 6600-6800 rpm for level flight. (As an aside-my digital rev counter was reading 3300-3400, so I am assuming it is reading half speed for some reason. It was an 8 quid job off ebay, and there is no programming on it so I cant really see how I might cure that, not that it really matters).

As I turned West over Gallowstree Common and set off downwind towards Woodcote I started to speed up over the ground to about 45mph , passing over the Oratory school, so it didn't take long till I was looking down on the Thames at Goring. Then on over the National Trusts Basildon House, a few circuits over friends houses on the way back to the West of Pangbourne, with some lovely views of the Thames in the evening light. All of which I photographed......appallingly badly, so there's little publishable evidence.

The sun was tucked between the horizon and the blanket of cloud so there was some lovely light but it was never the less quite gloomy, so the perfect opportunity to try out my homemade strobe, which Sally reported was quite bright and visible as I passed over home on my way back to the field.

P1030067.JPG

P1030072.JPG

Flight 28 30/9/14

An evening flight in a brisk South Easterly around Pangbourne , overflying a friends House up by St Andrews and returning over Pangbourne Lock

7605574-photo_1.JPG?nocache=2206

7605575-photo_2.JPG

7605579-photo_3.JPG?nocache=9158

7605602-photo_4.JPG?nocache=6283

7605625-photo_5.JPG?nocache=2866

Flight 29 25/10/14

Took a number of goes to get the wing up in reverse, waiting for the breeze to pick up enough. Just couldn't get the wing right over head. When the breeze did pick up and so the wing came up smartly I was away in a couple of paces.
The target was to fly SW to pay Ray at Northway Porsche a visit. So off I headed across a stiffening breeze which was slowing my progress to 12-15mph over the ground. The Synth was masterful in the bumpy conditions, soaking up anything that was thrown at it.7638876-photo_1.JPG?nocache=2133
I passed over Englefield House and lake and on over the small farm strip near the A4 as I tracked the Beenham Ridge, keeping fairly low over the open fields to keep out of the worst of the breeze.

7638916-photo_2.JPG?nocache=7819
Eventually I made it over Northway Porsche and gave the audience a couple of Esses before turning for home with some concern as to whether I had enough fuel to get back.

7638919-photo_3.JPG?nocache=7091
I needn't have worried though, as I turned downwind/crosswind my groundspeed rose to 50mph and I was back over my field in 10 minutes.
I did a number of Esses over the NE corner of the field and the railway  before landing in the middle of the grass area.

• 2 months later...

Flight 30 13/12/14

Today was flight 30 and worthy of note as a training experience because I had my first engine out. Also worthy of note because of the cause, but more on that later.
And I have to say the training paid off a treat. I had about 700ft over ground as I passed downwind back East over the M4 from a flight to Frilsham. I was just South of the Yattenden dairy unit when the engine stopped......and I mean stopped, no spluttering, no slowing, no nasty noises....just stopped. 

I immediately had 3 choices of fields, a long narrow one immediately next to the motorway, and two others smaller squarer ones just North. 

I had full fast trim on, so had to pick up the brakes and get the trimmers in, which I did without any drama. Once that was settled I gave two attempts to restart, but nothing.
So I headed for the copse which bordered the downwind side of one of the smaller fields, before turning crosswind then into wind.

I wanted to maximise my space in the field, but was also conscious not to risk getting downwind of the trees and being subject to any wind effects from them, so I kept to windward of the trees, I still needed a couple of Esses across the wind before I judged I was OK to get in the field well before the hedge on the far side. All was looking good and I flared for nice stand up landing with no running.

I have just downloaded the fight log and I can see it was 1m:40sec from the the engine cutting and being on the ground. But i can honestly say that was still plenty of time to sort everything out, including a couple of restart attempts.

So I had a bit of a walk out across a couple of fields, no need to have worried about not getting to the gym today.... that little jaunt nearly killed me, so what a stroke of luck that i came out by the West Berkshire Brewery, who were having an open day  . The sight of a mad pilot arriving on the scene generated enough interest that I soon had a lift back to Pangbourne organised, to retrieve my car.
Pint.jpg
Now the cause. I had my money on an ignition failure, because it stopped so abruptly, so i was quite surprised to see a nice fat spark when i got it back in the workshop. 
so i thought I'd try and start it up. 
Funny, I thought.....the chokes in, I dont remember engaging that.so i opened it. Anyway got it running and all was fine, took it up to full power and it stopped immediately. And low and behold the choke had re-engaged again.
I couldnt believe it so I opened the choke and ran it up again. This time I watched the choke while I did it and as it came up to full power it was sucked across as if by magic!
choke.jpg
Difficult to believe, I know, but watch the video

http://vimeo.com/114427918
The culprit was a broken spring that engages the pawl in the depression of the choke plate. With no pressure on it the venturi effect in the carb is enough to suck the choke across!

So quite a good day in the end. 
1. First engine out with a decent landing, all by the book
2. An easily fixed problem
3. A couple of pints at The West Berkshire Brewery
4. And I didnt mention.....but I'd even managed a decent forward launch at the start!

Yattenden dairy unit .jpg

Landed.jpg

Bloody brilliant! :-)

A Paramotor is THE ONLY aircraft that you generally end up having a fun time with when you have an engine out LOL

As I mentioned on the phone, every time I have landed out unexpectedly, I have ended up meeting cool people and having a mini adventure :-)

Well done for the cool calm and collected response to the situation mate!

SW :D

Absolutely excellent Patrick, it all adds to the confidence when you have a successful forced landing.

...........and congratulations on point 4. :mrgreen:

A nice simple fault to cure the reason for the engine out as well, not quite as simple as my last one :roll:

Whilst adjusting my position in the harness I unknowingly caught the kill switch briefly. The engine stopped as suddenly as in your case, so I knew it was terminal.

The reason ...some mud had got around the kill switch button on take off, just enough to hold it in when caught :?

Cheers, Alan

I think I will let Parajet know what happened. I don't know what they can do about it, and whether others have had the same thing or mine was a complete freak, but we're talking about a unit with only around 20hrs on it.

Luckily for me it was when I was climbing at altitude having engaged full throttle, and so if following good practice of always having identified a landing location, should never be a problem

The other obvious time it would happen is during take off, where the consequences might be more of a problem.

I'm not sure what the preventative solution is.

It's not an obvious check for fatigue at designated hours, because of the need to dismantle and would be hard to spot in such a small part.

Perhaps too costly for Parajet, but a relatively easy user fix is to put a light tensioning spring on the choke plate, that would hold the choke open in the event the button spring fails.

TBH with what I had to walk across, it would have needed such a large set it would add too much in size and weight to make it workable, I think.

And hopefully it isn't something that is going to happen too often.

I think the better solution is to hone one's landing skills so that one can always land it on that "sixpence" right next to the gate next to the road.

Actually the thing that nearly finished me off, was diligently walking in the tractor tracks towards the gates to find the gates unopenable and having to lift 35kg of half fuelled rig over the gate!.......I don't know! You farmers really need to start thinking about the stranded Paramotor Pilot :wink: