Patrick's Progression

Day 25 23/11/13 Flight 11

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2456698

A crisper day today with brisk 7or 8 mph breeze from the North West.

I had in mind to try the flight I'd had planned for last weekend to the East but after an easy 1st time reverse launch and away in a couple of paces I just hung in the stiffening wind. So letting the trimmers out fully I started to make a little way. Going downwind too far was out of the question, so I decided to head into wind over Ashdown House and onto Ashbury.

It was a beautiful clear day with fantastic visibility, but pretty cold , so despite plenty of layers, it was going to be temperature that would limit the length of the flight

This was my first time flying in significant wind , so my first opportunity to experience reading wind direction by observing ones track across the ground.

I was also flying for the first time with a small flight deck and some gizmos.

Garmin GPS map 60C. Set with big text fields for Alt, bearing, time

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=garmin+60csx

Satmap Active .http://www.satmap.co.uk/about.php

Lumix camera

In addition I had the GoPro on the chesty mount. It is some use in that position, but better when easily grabbed (still in the elastic harness) and pointed where you want.

After over 30mins slogging into wind to get over Ashbury I turned and raced back to the airfield by curved route to the East.

On arrival over the field I got my housekeeping done and packed and zipped the flight deck and got the trimmers back in. Learning another lesson for a windy day- in no time I was too far downwind and making no way back, so had to get the trimmers out again to make progress.

Once over the field my descent was slow and nearly vertical as I hung in the wind, although another lesson learnt was that my forward progress increased as I descended into lesser wind.

I did not capitulate to my usual seated landing, but I still flared too high and stumbled forward onto my knees. It was a perfectly flared landing - just 6ft too high!!

Some useful lessons learnt on flying in wind, today and still more to learn on hanging on to the flare in landing.

https://vimeo.com/80176177

[vimeo]

[/vimeo] Edited by Guest

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks Pat, I enjoy reading your continued progress.

One question....now you have experienced some decent headwinds and played around with your trimmers....I noticed you haven't got your speed bar attached, that is also useful in windy conditions and good to "play around" with so you can get to know what added effect it has on your ground speed and glide path.

Safe flying

Have a Happy New Year Pat.

Cheers.

Rob.

You are correct, Rob, no speed bar attached. It's not come up in training, not sure what my instructors view on them is. Certainly early on I'm sure they're considered an added complication that a beginner doesn't need, but now as you say, something that should be thought about.

Thanks for advice

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

DAY 27 11th January Flight 13

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2569340

Everyone saw this one coming, it was being talked about on forums, picked up on Facebook and bemoaned by those stuck at work -

A perfect flying day in the unrelenting sequence of storms rolling in from the North Atlantic.

And so it was, wall to wall clear blue sky with a 6kn Westerly breeze. Just perfect for a plan I had to fly from Membury back East to home in Pangbourne and land away from my training base for the first time.

The logistics needed sorting a bit , drop car at landing field, cycle home, pack another car, drive to Membury, fly, land, pack up and the most challenging part - persuade Sally to drive me back to Membury to pick the car up. We won't discuss the carbon footprint of this sport!

image.jpg[/attachment]

image.jpg.1dd0b546e3021f0d85e31208e59d5d

image.jpg.58f33e335c730a888aed7aa45d60d5

image.jpg.97a46e383fe191c5d20acd595f9429

image.jpg.dde77c5eb2fd585223b374c32ae212

image.jpg.42dabd6564aa4d2da05776faf831a6

image.jpg.06adde27bc4547a56372b163dda85b

Edited by Guest

Well blow me, the first flight was the same afternoon - Tuesday.

I was checking the motor over in the garage thinking "it's brightened up somewhat, the sun is shining".

Looked at the forecast and the wind was dropping as well, so straight up the field.

The grass was dry on top but a little soft underneath, no problem. Laid out for a forward, there was a little wind to help, wing came up beautifully and with a normal run I was up :D

It's been 10 and a half weeks so although it was cold I was well chuffed.

Just a little pootle about 25 minutes and then a great landing, a couple of steps to come to a halt. Well timed with the daylight as well.

Back home for a celebratory beer :mrgreen:

Alan

Well blow me, the first flight was the same afternoon - Tuesday.

I was checking the motor over in the garage thinking "it's brightened up somewhat, the sun is shining".

It's been 10 and a half weeks so although it was cold I was well chuffed.

Just a little pootle about 25 minutes and then a great landing, a couple of steps to come to a halt. Well timed with the daylight as well.

Back home for a celebratory beer :mrgreen:

Alan

Nice one. That checking the motor thing..........ditto.......if I'd flown as many hours as I'd spent in the garage " checking" I'd be a veteran pilot by now.:D