Patrick's Progression

Cheers Patrick, that's handy that the demo is centred around our area, that would explain why the screen shot further up looked strange!

That's a unique feature that you can plug in various variables. Would be good to plan ahead for different wind speeds, so that's a shame it's limited to live wind.

I will set up an account and take a look.

Cheers

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Day 35 Flight 17 17th May 2014

http://vimeo.com/95673525

So the plan this weekend was to finally fly out of ( as opposed to into) the field I have permission to fly at in Pangbourne, but that was going to need a nice south westerley breeze to reverse launch into I am still far to sketchy on nil wind forward launches and especially as i would be doing it completely solo.

So when I looked at the forecast and it said next to nil wind, I knew I was on for another trip to Membury if I wanted to fly.

As I arrived .....what was that ?...... Simon Westmore flying his quad! Newly legal having passed

his NPPL, there he was indeed skimming over the trees at the west end of the field as I turned off the motorway.

With the increasing activity at Membury, getting in there now is turning into a bit of a mare with all the gates and the fencing, but , to be fair with all the siteseers for the wing walking displays someone was going to be picking a small child out of a prop or a rotor unless something had been done.

There was next to no wind and what there was was all over the place, so it was no surprise that when I tried a couple of forwards I couldn't get the wing to come up straight. Col who was spotting me, reckoned I was always stepping off to the right, but I couldn't get it, so I stopped, had a chill and waited for the breeze to pick up a little.

Cheating really, I know, because at some stage I have got to master these nil wind forwards, if I don't want to severely limit an already narrow window of flying opportunity.

Ross was back taking delivery of a brand new Minari Parajet Macro, which was all very well, but he had to get it into a Fiat 500....... I thought I was taking the piss trying to get a Macro in the wife's Boxster!

Eventually got up with a reverse, even that was a little sketchy. I was still not quite fast enough in the run before easing in some brake, I did unstick, but had to ease off a bit to gain some forward speed, before re-applying a bit of brake to convert speed to lift. It was an interesting technique learned.

I took off with aslightly sketchy reverse. I was still not quite fast enough in the run before easing in some brake, I did unstick, but had to ease off a bit to gain some forward speed, before re-applying a bit of brake to convert speed to lift. It was an interesting technique learned.

But off I headed on my long planned out and back to Savernake . What with having to work my way round a few grey bottomed clouds I had to turn back a bit early. Even trying to avoid the active stuff, I found on one occasion, I was sinking at 400fpm on full power with the trims out, and even when I pulled them into neutral I was still going down , of course a few minutes later the opposite was happening.
Got back to the field with a couple of litres to spare, got one approach a bit long , so went round again, the next one was spot on for trajectory, but still ended with what has now become known as a " Typical Patrick landing"! - that is a quick skid with the heels followed by sitting down! It's becoming a bit of a habit. Problem is I find it quite comfortable and can't seem to break it!

Todays conditions were definitely the most active I had flown in, and I was being bounced around quite a bit. I was told the conditions were thermic but not aggressively so, being typified by flat clouds not tall ones and fairly smooth transitions between lift and sink. I certainly never felt unsafe and the wing seemed rock solid. From hearing what other pilots found uncomfortable, having flown in the same conditions, I think I'm quite tolerant of being thrown around, I think its like sea sickness-it gets you or it doesnt. I'm hoping that it isnt just the ignorance of the uninitiated 

The route took me over some spectacular properties of one sort or another, including the property magnate, Harry Hyams place, Ramsbury Manor, once recorded as the most expensive property in the UK, the Duchess of Somerset's Almshouses in Froxfield and Littlecote House Hotel.

P1020855.JPG

P1020860.JPG

P1020862.JPG

P1020866.JPG

P1020870.JPG

photo (2).JPG

P1020853.JPG

A very well done in what you have achieved so far Patrick :D

It took me about two years before I was fully confident about turning up at the field, assessing the conditions, then taking off in a relaxed and fully proficient manner.

Enjoy what you are doing :wink:

Alan

26/5/2014 May Bank Holiday Weekend

What a frustrating weekend, so unlike the last Bank Holiday.

Sunday looked possible for my first flight out of my home field, a Southerly wind direction but it was just showing too strong all day on WeatherPro.

I even went down in the afternoon to check it out for direction, which was perfect, giving the maximum space, in the hope that it would calm down in the evening

I waited and waited for it to subside ready to choose that moment when I could get a nice easy reverse and fly off into the developing calm evening air!

But, to no avail, it was still going and gusty at 8:30, so no go.

Well......today.........very calm, but all that meant was that the rain didn't move anywhere. What a disappointment!

Day 36 31/5/14 Flight 18

Forts, a White Horse and not much fuel

Map.jpg

Had a great cross country today, to Liddington Fort, Barbury Castle and picking up my second Wiltshire White Horse at Hackpen.

It was quite overcast at home this morning and pretty miserable for a summers day, so I want sure I'd be going anywhere. Bu it soon brightened up , so I rang Simon , packed the car and headed for Membury.

Ross was back and Richard was there after a couple of months break, and two or three new faces on the first days training...and making a decent go of it, too.
Ross was flying his new Minari Macro, but had a slightly hairy launch that nearly had him ordering his Starbucks from his paramotor as he went a bit low over the coffee shop in the motorway service area.

The wind was initially quite light but strengthened a bit to make it just right for easy reverse launching, but through a combination of waiting for the wing walking plane to finish and general faffing around on my part, that opportunity was missed as the breeze died away again.
So after a failed reverse attempt, I went for a forward, bringing up the wing cleanly, but had, immediately to turn 90 degrees left as the wind veered, that all went well, but that left me staring at a 3m high bank, not 20m away, so there was no alternative but to bin it. Shame, because I think I anticipated and dealt with the changing wind direction during the launch.
After a bit of a rest I had another go at a forward, which went fine. Climb out was the usual fairly slow affair but I was soon on my planned 25 mile round trip XC to a couple of Wiltshire hill forts and the Hackpen White Horse.

photo 2.png

As I set out West , I started to notice an uncharacteristic tendency to turn left , that required me to hold a constant light pressure on the Right tip steer. I looked up at the lines but couldn't see anything.

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.jpg

It was to turn out to be one of the trailing edge lines which had looped round itself and had been noticed by those on the ground as a bunching at the back of the wing.
That was the first thing! Next, I now know with hindsight that my belt had started to slip at about 3/4 throttle, but I hadn't recognised it at the time thinking it was the motor getting into a power band at that throttle opening.

Finally, it started to look like I was going to have a fuel problem, probably as it turned out to do with the other two issues.
I have quite a good handle on my fuel usage now and had calculated to give myself about 2lts spare, but on the return leg with some 5 miles still to go I could see very little left in my "fuel gauge" mirror, so was constantly assessing the landing options of every field I flew over! so it was some relief that Membury hove into view.
I celebrated with a few tight 360s and esses to lose height- OK, so I didnt manage a spectacular spiral dive with the wing standing on its ear, but they were as tight a turn as I had yet tried on a paramotor :dive::dive:

That brought me into for my usual landing, uneventful and unconventional, erhemm :|

But the dramas were not quite over! Why when I looked over my shoulder could I see the prop gently spinning when I had stopped the motor 30 seconds earlier before I landed?
The answer was the belt had come off completely and the cam adjuster was completely loose :shock:
It must have happened exactly as I stopped the motor.
And the fuel...........less than 1/2 a litre.

photo 4.JPG

So an eventful flight, the events of which didnt really become apparent , till I was over, leaving me to enjoy some great views.

I cleaned up the mess when I got home, and fitted my spare belt, but wasnt satisfied with the tension even with the adjuster cam at its full extension. Certainly I wasnt getting the required mid belt play of 2-3mm, more like 10mm.
A full dismantle and inspection at the field today by paramotoring cognoscenti- Simon, Col and Pete B couldnt spot anything wrong or a reason. So a discussion is to be had on Monday with PJ, with a suggestion of trying the next available smaller belt a (533mm to the standard 559mm)

photo 5.JPG

I have quite a good handle on my fuel usage now and had calculated to give myself about 2lts spare, but on the return leg with some 5 miles still to go I could see very little left in my "fuel gauge" mirror, so was constantly assessing the landing options of every field I flew over! so it was some relief that Membury hove into view.

An update on the belt. Parajet can't explain why the problem exists but have endorsed the use of a 533J belt in place of the standard 559J. That's a shortening of 26mm on the belt which will result in moving the two pulleys closer together by just under 13mm.

I have ordered both sizes, just in case the 559 I had been trying was a duffer.

Hi Pat

I'm not aware of a henge in that spot. A large equestrian business runs in that

location. Looks a bit like jumps but in a strange shape.

Rich

Yes, I think that's exactly what it is ! Part of a cross country course.It's certainly not an antiquity.

Saturday and Sunday 7-8th June

So a beautiful windy and thermic weekend. The sort of weather where, when you mention it to your non flying friends, they wonder what conditions are right for Paramotoring.

I was hopeful yesterday evening would calm down enough for a maiden and unsupervised flight out of the field I have the use of in Pangbourne, certainly the wind direction looked good, so I waited patiently for things to quieten down, but gave it up around 7pm, only to find it did indeed calm down a bit later, but by then I'd had one too many "sharpeners" to drive, let alone fly :shock:

So I just hadn't been patient enough!

As it turns out it didn't matter, because in my resolution to not make the same mistake again today, I decided to reccy the field mid afternoon, and set the windsock up. Wind direction looked absolutely perfect, giving me the longest free space across the field. But the grass is really long now, and although the corner in which I would set up is well eaten down by rabbits , I would soon have found myself running into the long stuff.

Which I tried, just to see what it was like......................It was definitely too long, I was at serious risk of tripping even without 70kg of thrust and 34m of sail to contend with. And I can manage that even on the mown stuff at Membury

I had a look further up the field where the floods had killed the crop and there was some very nice short grass growing in its place, but, though there was plenty of running space it was a bit close to the transmission lines at the West end of the field, especially with the V2 torque steer liable to send me that way. While I reckon it was probably OK, Best not to risk it for my maiden flight out.

• 2 weeks later...
No more excuses :lol:

Can you give me a clue how to get rid of this drat wind that has been plaguing this region for the past two weeks,

Alan

Yes, get your paramotor to develop a fault, go away on business, twist your ankle, or have the other half insist on your attendance at some do or other.............weather will be perfect, then

Nice flight...weather...and views.

Get your final turn around two hundred feet and pick your landing

spot in the field. Final turn brings you into wind.

Keep your eye on landing spot and adjust throttle if you can see your

either to high or to low.

Its best to keep the low level stuff into wind to help to manage any

wind gradient or turbulence. With a long final approach you have plenty

of time to get your arrival point bang on.

ps if your approach is to low your wing will be in Pangbourne and your

boots and teeth will be in Paddington :D

Regards

Richard

Hi Pat,

My old, high hang point Bailey torque steers to the right, despite being at the limit of asymmetric adjustment on the hang points. This is something i've learned to not only live with, but use to my advantage.

I have a left hand throttle and I can fly using my left hand only with a bit of left brake to counter the torque steer. Left turns are made with more left brake, right with less.

This leaves my right hand free for camera, map, rolling fags etc.

Occasionaly, if my left arm becomes tired, I will park the brake and use asymmetric trim to counter the torque steer.

These are my own practises, not recommendations for others to follow.