Patrick's Progression

Flight 20 15/7/14
https://vimeo.com/100982295
A great flight over Trevose Head in Cornwall. I've had to wait 4 days for the wind to calm , but today was perfect, 7or 8 mph for take off, and away from a great field up on the old airfield, in 2 or 3 paces.
A bit bumpy in places, but OK.
The turning problem seems to have resolved itself- I think it may have simply been me not tightening the seat front stays evenly.
Having shortened the brakes 4" inches and with the breeze I expected a decent landing, but alas, I still ended up on my arse, but pretty slowly. I watched the brake lines in flight a lot and there was still plenty of "bow" in them. I would say there was at least another 4" of free play before any movement occurs in the TE. I did have more brake authority this time but still not enough at full stretch to get me that final stall on landing.
Out again tonight when the heat dies down and before they muck spread on the field tomorrow.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice one dude! :-)

Don't shorten the brakes any more mate. Just try loosing less speed and saving more flare for the end :-)

SW :D

Righto. Should be going out again this evening so will try to hang on a bit longer and braking more decisively right at the end. Might be my last chance from the field as they're muck spreading tomorrow![FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Flight 21 15/7/14

I got my second flight yesterday, the first time I've actually flown twice in a day.

I waited till about 6:30 for the wind to drop back, got ready for a reverse launch only to tangle the GoPro and had to abort, during which I nicked a line, so had to replace the line before going again.

image.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

Flight 22 17/7/14

Up again on a breezy morning. This time with an easterly coming off the land. It was supposed to be too windy from the start, but on throwing back the curtains and looking across at the many wind turbines inland I could see it looked OK.

The car was still packed from yesterday evenings aborted trip, because the wind never died down.

The big field was now full muck spread but there was another nearly as good down by the road so after checking in with the farmer I set up there. It was quite breezy but watching the sock was very steady in both strength and direction

I tried a couple of trial reverses with the wing coming up cleanly if a bit vigourously and staying nicely overhead.

Got kitted up and clipped in only find the starter Bendix sticking, so unkitted poked and fettled and got it sorted.

Launch was clean and easy, but it was pretty rock and roll as I climbed out, having to make some corrections to save been turned immediately downwind.

The wind direction meant I could take a run down to the Little Petherick creek, but it was quite windy and bumpy and I didn't stay up long before I thought I should get back down.

ImageUploadedByPMC Forum1405611035.261462.jpg

With the increased wind I decided to leave +2 of fast on to help me penetrate, a quick overfly the sock, the wind had gone round a little, so just nice to come in over the bottom corner and slightly uphill. I did a couple of Esses over the boundary before turning in, and coming in for my best landing yet, even being able to turn, hover the wing before landing it behind me. Very pleased! OK the conditions were perfect for a decent landing, so if I hadn't done it then I was never going to!

And yesterday's video finally loaded
https://vimeo.com/100982295

Frustrating Days and failing starters

Frustrating days since coming back from some great flying in Cornwall on holiday.

Although I got over to the fly in at Tetsworth, I could only make it for Saturday afternoon, and although there was some flying while I was there it was a bit lumpy I think. Anyway, I didnt take my kit because the forecast had said thunderstorms! on this occassion -it was wrong!

As it happens I wouldnt have flown in any case, because when I got my kit out to fly on a nice Sunday evening at home , the motor was difficult to start and when it did run it need some low speed adjustment. This coupled with (as became apparent later) a failing starter motor meant I never flew.

Another attempt on Tuesday evening, having fully charged the battery (actually it wasnt that) saw the starter fail completely :(

It's with http://www.burghfieldstarterandalternatorcentre.co.uk today. They are a proper old fashioned repair shop, they will fix it if its fixable not just part ex you a recon, even if they had one. They have been very good in the past and even if they cant fix this one I would recommend them to anyone close enough to use them, for starter and alternator rebuilds.

So lets see if they work their magic and get me flying by the weekend. But as a back up anyone got a parajet Macro V2 starter -Fiem 3MG14556?

http://www.fiem.com/catalogo-small-starter-series.pdf

Starter Motor Update

Two "Big it ups" :lol::lol:

Credit where credit's due.

1. http://www.burghfieldstarterandalternatorcentre.co.uk. Fixed existing motor, it was a failure in the pinion, but because it may not be a permanent fix hasnt charged for it! All in the space of 4 hours

Will have a proper look at the pinion and see if I can make it a permanent fix.

2. John Welch at Parajet who is shipping me a new one that will be with me tomorrow, even going the extra mile , literally, by taking it to the post office rather than getting UPS pick up, all because UPS deliveries to mine are shite, but the friendly neighbourhood postman will "sign for and hide" our packages .

And £118 inc VAT is a very reasonable price.

Luckily they had plenty in stock, otherwise it would have been 4 weeks minimum as Italy goes on holiday in August :roll:

Now........whats the weekend looking like?

That's just missing the retaining spring that holds it all together by the looks of it. Fairly sure I have a bendix in the workshop you can have. And The small spring at the end also has a habit of lunching itself.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

That's just missing the retaining spring that holds it all together by the looks of it. Fairly sure I have a bendix in the workshop you can have. And The small spring at the end also has a habit of lunching itself.

Sent from my iPhone using PMC Forum mobile app

I never saw all the bits, the guy at Burghfield stripped it down, so I don't know what if should look like.

Is it just a spring around those two arms missing? Don't the arms pivot on small pins or something?

I'll bring it up the field over the weekend if you're going to be about.

Saturday 26/7/14

Hot, Bothered and on the ground

Not a good day, today

Went out this morning, got set up, ground handled a few reverses, but decided the wind was just a bit too strong and variable, so packed up with the resolve to come back this evening to have another go when things might have settled down.

They settled down alright! The photo below sums it up really.

G0044837 (1).JPG

Flight 23 27/7/14

Rock and Roll!

Well I flew today, but maybe I shouldnt have done. I learnt that there is a big difference between the nice laminar coastal breeze I experienced in Cornwall and the same sort of breeze inland on a hot and thermic day!

IMG_7383_(Medium).JPG
I went out at around 3pm and watched the sock for some time before committing, had to brake the wing a bit in take off to stop it overshooting, but got away OK after a bit of extra running.
I just had a fly around the local area, taking photos of friends houses. It was quite thermic with me seeing over 400fpm on a number of occasions.

Landing was an education! :?
I overflew the field and watched the sock, which was swinging through 90 degrees. I put a downwind turn in and hit some big sink that meant a go around which left me clearing some trees under full power by, if not a dangerous margin, too small a one, really.

My next approach was more measured, but still quite turbulent. Once over the hedge I set up my best guess for into wind, stopped any inputs which allowed the wing to settle, out of the seat, engine off and flew right into the ground before an emphatic flare to a nice stand up landing.

So a good lesson and all the more reason to tackle and get proficient at forward launches, so I dont need to go out in less than ideal conditions.
St Andrews.jpg

St Andrews prep school, most recent claim to fame being where Kate Middleton was educated.