Paramotor Insurance.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, seems these insurers (underwritten by AXA) are accepting applications for liability insurance, knowing that UK registration is not required and not wanted by the CAA. Apparently they are only asking for the wing serial number and it includes rescue cover. Looks pretty good on the face of it.

They also do PG, Tandem & School insurance.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how big the numbers are that have got to be on your wing and motor and can you not put them on and still be insured? im doing my bhpa exam soon as our owner of the field has asked for proof of insurance, if i fail i will have to go the traffords route as a quick temporary fix as you cant re sit exam for a short period but need insurance so i can fly at the field.

From chili post !!

Just an Update...

Traffords Insurance, underwritten by Lloyds of London have clarified that currently full CAA UK registration is required for the insurance to be valid. Wing only registration is not acceptable by the underwriters, nor is it available from the CAA.

This means that both the wing and power unit have to be registered as a single aircraft, the wing has to carry the registration as well as a fireproof metal plate is required to be affixed to the power unit. Full compliance with the air navigation order and Cap 523.

So we seem to be between a rock and a hard place. The CAA do NOT want us to register with them, but Lloyds of London insist that Full registration is held to obtain their cover. (whether it be from the UK CAA or another EU equivalent CAA)

BHPA then!!! :lol:

I really can not see what the problem is with the BHPA. Will you ever need there Insurance.... Probably NOT.. Should you Do the Exam... Why Not?? you might learn something... You get a Free Mag. Ok its more about PG but if more of us Put in articles then it wouldn't be.

IF you ever want to enter a comp you now have to be BHPA... I think most pilots should enter at least one comp in there fly career. It will make you a better pilot...

So training learning to fly a paramotor is with a bhpa then, short end of the wedge if you ask me,

You do NOT need to train with the bhpa.

If you want insurance after you can fly then you can do the alternative entry which is a simple exam and possibly (if they wont take your log book as proof)

a flight to prove you can fly.

So training learning to fly a paramotor is with a bhpa then, short end of the wedge if you ask me,

If you want insurance after you can fly then you can do the alternative entry which is a simple exam and possibly (if they wont take your log book as proof)

Pete I am just going through the process now, you have to submit the first and last entries from your log book, then to see wich exam you must sit, there are several, you must have an instructor see you fly and access your skill level.

so I will be taking the "paramotoring for dummies" paper :D

What I don't get is why no insurers will touch us with out conditions??? When I had my jet ski I got insured instantly with no conditions. No licensing, regulation, or registration. The ski had a number on the side but that wasn't asked for. Jet skis have a really bad reputation surrounding them and most slip ways demand third party liability insurance before you can launch.

Also in the grand scheme of things you can do ALOT of damage on one of those. 350 kg doing 70mph into a nice yacht is gonna cost.

My insurance coverd third party, fire and theft with a pillion and also covered when towed on the trailer all for £190 a year. And doable on monthly payments to. I can't see why no one will touch our relatively placid sport with insurance when you compare it to something like that???

Is this the right way to see it or am I simplifying it all a bit to much???

• 3 weeks later...

Pete I am just going through the process now, you have to submit the first and last entries from your log book, then to see wich exam you must sit, there are several, you must have an instructor see you fly and access your skill level.

so I will be taking the "paramotoring for dummies" paper :D

Well theres only two Dave, restricted and un restricted. Or have they brought more in now??

Pete

What I don't get is why no insurers will touch us with out conditions??? When I had my jet ski I got insured instantly with no conditions. No licensing, regulation, or registration. The ski had a number on the side but that wasn't asked for. Jet skis have a really bad reputation surrounding them and most slip ways demand third party liability insurance before you can launch.

Also in the grand scheme of things you can do ALOT of damage on one of those. 350 kg doing 70mph into a nice yacht is gonna cost.

My insurance coverd third party, fire and theft with a pillion and also covered when towed on the trailer all for £190 a year. And doable on monthly payments to. I can't see why no one will touch our relatively placid sport with insurance when you compare it to something like that???

Is this the right way to see it or am I simplifying it all a bit to much???

we dont have enough people wanting insurance to make it viable at a lower price.

Think how many jet skis are out there compared to paramotors

I just insured with them, they are very helpful.

I emailed them the form, (Serial Number of glider needed, it is the wing that is insured i.e. anyone can fly it)

And then followed up with a phone call, and paid by card over the phone. (€5 Charge for paying by card)

Email of insurance arrived shortly afterwards, with a paper copy in the post.