ppg crash into street

Man injured in Walkden paraglider crash

A man has been airlifted to hospital after his motorised paraglider crash landed in Walkden. The man was thrown from the aircraft just before it crashed at Harriet Street, near to Walkden Cricket Club.

News | 1 Comments anyone know about this broke his legs as far as i know/heard.hope hes ok.

Man breaks both legs in paraglider crash landing

5:37pm Wednesday 13th July 2011

Print

Email

A MAN was airlifted to hospital after his motorised paraglider crash landed in Walkden.

The incident happened at 1pm on Wednesday close to Walkden Cricket Club.

A fire crew was called to make the area safe.

The man, aged 41, suffered two broken legs.

Paramedics from North West Air Ambulance treated the man at the scene. He was then airlifted to Wythenshawe Hospital .

The motorised paraglider crashed into a wall at the cricket club.

Crew manager Andy Krinks of Farnworth Fire Station said: “Ambulance and air ambulance were both on the scene.

“The man suffered two severe broken legs.

“We were there mainly to make the air equipment safe.”

Not just Harriet st. But no.26,

This guy was going to fly with or without training, he'd been on the phone over and over again trying to get some lessons in but never turned up for his arrangements then ended up at other schools around the country, doing one or two days at a time then leaving because he was only allowed to run up and down the field ground handling, a few weeks had gone by then he turned up at mpg. After trying to start his machine right behind me while I was with a student he got a bolocking for that, then another for not having his throttle and kill switch in his hand,

Then on to ground handling.

"I can fly its not that hard" we'll see, show me some ground handling, everything he did it was wrong, I told him to book in some lessons and he wont fly from here till he does, "Flying is easy I've flown it twice," not from here mate, not like that, he left.

2 days later he took off in a major built up area and flew around then tried to land at the cricket field and hit no 26,

Darren is in wythenshaw hospital at the moment both legs and ankles are broken, the bhpa don't want the kit for inspection now so it's going to be released back to him in the morning,

After looking at the site, my guess is that after flying around he tried to land, but under estimated the glide ratio and flew straight towards the houses,

Sad news but these machines will kill or harm in the wrong hands.

Kind regards

Paul Kilburn

Manchester Paragliders

O dear :-(

Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

This guy was doing the rounds, claiming he needed only one days training and wanted to fly that day. I for one tried very hard to explain on the phone until he eventually hung the phone up that he would need at least 3-4 days before flying and I know of at least one other PMC instructor who said the same.

No matter how hard you try, you can't help people who don't want help.

SW :(

Francis rich post is not doing the sport any favours either,is he saying that the ppg instructors around the country are rubbish,no amount of regulation from bhpa.caa/or god would have stopped this chap from flying.enought instructors told him could not fly from their sites till he had training.the way francis seems to put it we all fly death ships of junk.uncertifide wings.no real instructors to teach etc.reminds me of a certain paraglider chap called the holy one/ sorry murray hay.nothing can stop someone hell bent on doing what he did of his own back..........

Jock you said

((reminds me of a certain paraglider chap called the holy one/ sorry murray hay))

the Guy is a legend...... 8)

ps Just wondering why Simon says

(Best wishes and a speedy recovery. )

to somebody who has never had any posts or input on this forum

when I also have a smashed lower leg and ankle due to a foolish flying accident

and he has never wished me a speedy recovery :cry::cry:

I feel unloved and unwanted

Jock you said

((reminds me of a certain paraglider chap called the holy one/ sorry murray hay))

Murray is the supr dell of paragliding.yes he has excelent pg skills his millons of youtube show that,but you will always get the im the holy one, everything the bhpa or others have taught you is the devils work,let me put you on the path of my way is the only way. //yes you have to crash in style to be loved..lol i landed on a cow once. high wind pging.big ears going up and down like a yoyo.at a site called scaresfeild. much to the delight of other pilots who said its a tad windy to fly 2day jock,heck what did they know. i flew.lol.i didnt make that mistake again..crap weather again for next few days.now weres murray videos.

• Like 1

Jock you said

I have enough love for everyone :-) When we meet I will give you a hug.

SW :D

Jock you said

hhhmmm, wearing rubber gloves in an online video

asking us to "lick on your chocolate salty balls"

and now admitting man love :roll:

the evidence is adding up :shock::shock::shock::D

Jock you said

The rubber gloves were because my hands were dirty! Lol I had black paint On them that would not come off :-) they were for your eye protection.

hhhmmm, wearing rubber gloves in an online video

asking us to "lick on your chocolate salty balls"

and now admitting man love :roll:

the evidence is adding up :shock::shock::shock::D

Francis rich ....... is he saying that the ppg instructors around the country are rubbish,

May I challenge that statement? Nowhere in my post to the Manchester Evening News do I say anything about "instructors around the country". My post contains statements of fact.

If Jock disagrees with the accuracy of any of the statements could he say which ones are innaccurate and why?

the way francis seems to put it we all fly death ships of junk.uncertifide wings.no real instructors to teach etc.

This may be Jock's interpretation but nowhere in my post do I say any of the things Jock wishes to ascribe to me. It may have been at least helpful if Jock had pasted my comments before commenting on them? At least the reader would have seen the article being criticised before having it interpreted.

I do, increasingly, believe that some form of instructor registration and validation is inevitable and desirable and that the restriction of flying of paramotors to those who have undergone "recognised training" is also desirable. I also believe that progress needs to be made in wing and motor design and certification; many structural components have no known (tested) performance limitations.

For example, we (EU) do not permit scaffolders to work above six foot agl without equipment certified as "Personal Protection Equipment", yet we regularly hang our lives on uncertified metalwork.

NB Murray Hay analogies are subject to paramotoring's own version of Godwins Law of Internet Forums.

Here you go Francis...

Posted in all relevance to the fact that one man (although slightly misguided) may never walk again!.

Well done sir!

It wont be the actions of the pilot involved. Minor airspace violations, Or parts failing on Experimental aircraft, that will get the sport regulated beyond the reach of mere mortals.

It will be YOU.

If you care so little for the sport, don't play it!

The people of Walkden (and elsewhere) may be surprised to learn that no pilot training or licensing is required to use these machines and that no regulation exists to regulate instructors. Which means that anyone can legally buy one off ebay this afternoon and legally fly over you and your house this evening and anyone could wake up tomorrow and decide they are a "paramotor instructor" and start selling them and charging people for showing them how to drive one. There is no law requiring the person driving it to have any insurance. Neither are these craft required to have any airworthiness certificate and the construction of them is not regulated either. Many are designed and built from bits of junk cobbled together. Even the wings do not have to have any form of certification whatsoever.

You might also be surprised that the government have no plans to control this activity and we can all trust to luck that no children were playing by that wall yesterday or the site of the next crash.

90% of people who are interested in this form of flight are males in their forties and fifties.

Francis Rich

Senior Instructor of foot-launched flying machines.

I don't think I need to comment on the drivel above.

Colin Baker

PMC Instructor

The people of Walkden (and elsewhere) may be surprised to learn that no pilot training or licensing is required to use these machines and that no regulation exists to regulate instructors. Which means that anyone can legally buy one off ebay this afternoon and legally fly over you and your house this evening and anyone could wake up tomorrow and decide they are a "paramotor instructor" and start selling them and charging people for showing them how to drive one. There is no law requiring the person driving it to have any insurance. Neither are these craft required to have any airworthiness certificate and the construction of them is not regulated either. Many are designed and built from bits of junk cobbled together. Even the wings do not have to have any form of certification whatsoever.

You might also be surprised that the government have no plans to control this activity and we can all trust to luck that no children were playing by that wall yesterday or the site of the next crash.

90% of people who are interested in this form of flight are males in their forties and fifties.

Francis Rich

Senior Instructor of foot-launched flying machines.

Hi francis i take back the bit about you may have implied instructors around the country are rubbish.we know there are very good instructors around,pity this chap didnt listen to them.but what you said about paramotors/wings etc seems harsh.manufactures put lots of time,hrs money into there equipent.you cant wake up and think i know im going to be an instructor 2day.that cost time, money and a lot of effort into becomming an instructor,its not a thing to be taken lightly as people reley on a good instructor to keep them safe.and teach them how to fly paramotors not drive them.i thought your post was a rant,coming from a ppg/flphg instructor it seem harsh, you know the time an effort that other instructors put into the sport.we dont want regulation that has killed of microlighting with all the rules etc making them way out of reach of many who love to fly.unfortunatley us humans will & have the ability to screw things up since time began.the freedom of pg/ppg/flphg is all about freedom to fly not get dragged down the health & safty route as everything else has gone.no amount of regulation rules,health safefty would stop the likes of darren.we woulnt be were we are 2 day if the wright brothers and co had regulation.rules rammed done there throats. 99.5 percent of people woulnt dream of doing it the darren way.but there will always be the one percent.people will think all paramotorists are like darren after your post. you could have put it across that we are all not like darren.people do get trained do have insurance.and would never fly that close to people or houses etc.i and the people i fly with spend time telling the locals about our sport,asking is it ok if we fly from this feild etc.anyway thats the end of my interpretation.super dell is dell.murray is murray.me i just love flying,and my last post on this subject.....

Francis,

I happen to agree with RAF Col on this one, it is most likely YOU that will bring regulation to this sport with the way you

represent it. If you dont like the sport buy some wool and needles instead. :-)

What you have written is very damaging to the sport and written in totally the wrong way (unless of course you WANTED to make the people reading it nervous of Paramotors) and re-enforce a isolated incident as 'the norm' which you amd I both know it is not.

One day I hope you will be a happy man and loose the mass of negativity around you.

it is most likely YOU that will bring regulation to this sport with the way you

represent it.

Yes. That is exactly what I am now actively pursuing. If it is me who causes it to be brought in I will be well pleased. Exactly what IT should be I would rather it was US who determined it than some ignorant politician seeking popularity. (e.g. dangerous dogs act, e.g. Firearms Act (post Hungerford/Dunblane)

I view it as inevitable that regulation will come following on the heels is this and many other less publicised incidents of similar origin. These are not "isolated" and are becoming "the norm". In the Manchester area infringements into Airspace are regularly causing a local instructor much grief from local ATC who are unable to differentiate between pilots and "drivers". All that it will now take is the next Dan Hill crashing into a playground.

Your posts here appear merely to "shoot the messenger". It is precisely because I love the sport and continue to do all I can to promote good instruction and improved craft that I take the view I do. You may disagree with my methods or my logic but, at least have the courtesy to accept that I have at least thought it through and am able to articulate the reasons for my opinions. I regard this not as "negativity" but a positive response to save the sport from the inevitable knee-jerk reaction that will come from legislators if we are not proactive in calling for some level of regulation to demonstrate that we are as concerned about the growth of irresponsible use as anyone.

The reference to Microlighting is a good one. Microlighting was facing being banned following many crashes until the microlighters themselves put their own house in order by proposing legislation to regulate their activity. They were very "late in the day" to do so and the regulation was stringent, it has since been reduced (SSDR). My point is precisely that we will go the same way and need to propose the light regulation that will save us before the heavy regulation gets imposed.

Can't help but agree with SW, jock & Colin, that such comments on a local news story are only good for public scaremongering and damaging to the sport in general (analogous to Murray Hay's recent outburst in the Malvern Gazette about a minor PG incident).

Having said that, there is no denying that some of what Francis has posted is correct (even on this forum there are many self taught pilots, or those flying home built paramotors, some without reserves or insurance) but would we want it any other way ? Most of our engines are uncertified for aviation so I doubt any paramotor would qualify for a certificate of airworthiness anyway. The cost would be prohibitive and push some manufacturers out of business or price them out of reach of many current pilots. Also, we would lose the ability to modify or customise our machines, change throttles or even do our own servicing !

The current framework of air law (& exemptions) has been proven to work well enough. Training is available (even if it is not mandatory or standardised across the country yet) for those sensible enough to take lessons. There will always be an element of risk in any sport (particularly aviation) and this is always an individuals decision to make prior to any flight (whether in training or alone).

Does anyone want equipment sales to be regulated (as in guns or knives) ? Sure there is some dodgy gear sold on ebay with laughable disclaimers, but regulation would simply stifle growth or development in a currently exciting market.

Anyway, none of Francis' points really apply to this case as no amount of regulation or certification was going to stop this guy flying. He ignored training advice and either decided he knew best or wanted to cut corners / costs and go it alone. He might have gotten away with it if he had chosen amore suitable site, but paid a high price for his mistake (and brought some bad publicity to the sport for everyone). Its easy to criticise Darren & call him an idiot (I never met him so he might be) but he was certainly keen, even if misguided .... :wink:

Francis,

Is your tactic to make the sport look bad to get the regulation you want? It 'looks' that way as it stands.

The last time I spoke to the CAA (about 2 months ago about some heli training as it happens :-) ) they were still happy with the way the sport is in the UK and actually think that "the number of reported accidents and incursions are at acceptable levels at the moment" although this was not an official statement, the comment WAS made

Surely they have a bigger picture than you or I? Maybe your just seeking the bad and blanking out the good?

Statistically paramotoring is still the safest form of aviation.

My point is precisely that we will go the same way and need to propose the light regulation that will save us before the heavy regulation gets imposed.

Francis, perhaps you could explain your point with regard to "improved craft" since any regulation in this area could only be at massive cost to the sport (and posibly kill it for most of us).

As for airspace infringements (Barton or Manchester ?) - have the offending pilots been identified and spoken with ? Since the framework and rules for this are already in place, how would further "regulation" improve the situation ???