My Little Incident Caught On TWO Cameras!

I could do that myself Simon, just couldn't be arsed!

Am aching a bit now, was ok when I got up apart from a funny ankle but now that tail bone is smarting a bit!

Onwards and upwards, or not as the case may be!

Tis a bit buggered and bent. Frame is pretty bashed and kinked, petrol tank is finished, prop will make great kindling for my new log burner, exhaust needs straightening, air box needs refitting and netting needs replacing. Apart from that it's immaculate!

But hey ho, its a piece of machinery and took all the first impact and part of the 2nd, hard to believe I'm walking today or typing even!

Glad to see you walked away Malcs, as you say machines can fixed but bodies take a lot longer.

Simon or Pete

Just for information for all low hours pilots and those waiting to get off the ground for the first time, this looked like a nasty accident. :shock: What was the cause of Malcs crash? :?

Dave

cant believe that you didnt swear, i would have over and over!!!!! the motor was tilted well back?? and i noticed someone overhead when the camera was picked up, you may have it from a third camera! i know its no consolation, but your not the only one doing it, ive broke a few cages/props myself...... more to come no doubt....

Glad to see you walked away Malcs, as you say machines can fixed but bodies take a lot longer.

Simon or Pete

Just for information for all low hours pilots and those waiting to get off the ground for the first time, this looked like a nasty accident. :shock: What was the cause of Malcs crash? :?

Dave

64 thousand dollar question Dave

Malc said he has flown his motor before and everything was ok so , so what was different this time ???? that is the question we all want to know

Simon or Pete

Dave

In my opinion, the hang points were to far forward causing the paramotor to lean back loads, this causes two problems, 1. No forward thrust. 2. The thrust was pushing the load (malcs) upwards, thus unloading the wing (even less speed to fly, low response to input...

in a nutshell, in this situation malcs held on the power to maintain height (pilot decision not right or wrong) adding power unloads the wing more when leaning back to far... thus adding to the problem.

I know it's easy to say when it's not you but for what it's worth......

When the first take off resulted in no lift or forward thrust (feet back down) I would have ran it off and aborted the take off but as I say, easy to say when stood on the side lines. At the end of the day malcs walked away and made the best decisions, (flight path) available to him.

If your in even the slightest doubt about your hang point settings, do a hang check to avoid this happening to you.

SW :D

Malc said he has flown his motor before and everything was ok so , so what was different this time ???? that is the question we all want to know

Have we considered the conditions of the day :?:

Low pressure, high temperature, very high humidity (we had this for a while around the middle of saturday) this can cause a engine to run a little rich and so reduce power?

Could this, added to the hang point issues, have contributed to this misshap?

Very glad to hear your ok

K :)

:wingover:

Have we considered the conditions of the day :?:

Low pressure, high temperature, very high humidity (we had this for a while around the middle of saturday) this can cause a engine to run a little rich and so reduce power?

Could this, added to the hang point issues, have contributed to this misshap?

Very glad to hear your ok

K :)

:wingover:

Certainly would not have helped.

The good thing is that Malcs did not get to high, as with throttling off (possibly to get in the seat) and then reapplying.

power could have caused the risers to twist due to the amount he was leaning back.

Nice to see you back posting :D

and its hurting a bit more today too, I had one of those speed choice courses today to avoid getting 3 points on my driving license, I could barely get up when it came to leave, tail bone or coccyx is a bit dodgy so I'd better get it checked out.

Personally I still don't believe there's anything wrong with the hangpoints, I've flown with them 22 times in that position. True to say I've put on weight over the last few months but that would mean I should look at moving the hang points forward to the last hole, not further back.

I normally fly with either a flight suit or big jumper and have the shoulder straps completely slack and this is fine, perhaps as I was only wearing a shirt I should have tightened them a bit for this flight.

My other opinion is that it was completely my error and that I was simply leaning back desperate to get in my seat as I generally have problems getting in it later if I don't do it quickly after take off. 70% of the time it pops up under my arse as soon as I'm airborne, it didn't feel quite right on Saturday and felt like I was going to hang by my nads if I leant forward. I know now that if I'd leant forward I'd have begun climbing, its obvious but some mental thing in my brain was telling me to lean back as if to thrust myself away from the ground. I don't think either that I had quite enough ground speed when I took off but that can't be what contributed to the crash.

I'll get it all fixed, get on the hang rig, do a bit of ground handling and then have a bit of assistance and radio guidance to get going again, not giving up yet but I don't want to go through that again.

Strange, I got good at this last year and all 3 attempts this year have had troubles.

Cheers

Malc

Strange, I got good at this last year and all 3 attempts this year have had troubles

Well, you know these things come in 3's, so you've had yours now. Should be plain sailing from here :D

You need one good flight and any thoughts of giving up will evaporate.

Dan