Guildford low flying

dantheman

Hi guys,
Just a note that someone living in Guildford mentioned to me that a few low flying paramotors have come to their attention recently causing a nuisance. it's the houses directly after the Hogs Back transmitter as you are flying due East to Newlands Corner. If you are able to get a few hundred feet higher or divert slightly South I'm sure it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Dan, about time you got back in the air?

Saw quite a few paramotors around Guildford last night, the airspace is now much more complicated with the new Farnborough air space going live.

It looked like some may be flying along the downs from Green Dragons Site, as well.

Paul

Farnborough-Controlled-Airspace-combined

Edited by 8086

• 1 month later...

Since I first mentioned the low flying it has happened every weekend. This evening at 8:00pm Tuesday June 23rd someone was turning circles no more than 75ft above my garden. I have spoken to my neighbours and we are considering legal action to close you down due to what are I’m sure a minority of reckless fliers with no consideration for others.

If you have the date and time along with some form of proof, a picture or video of them flying low which identifies their wing and motor then I am sure the Civil Aviation Authority would be interested to hear about it. On the whole we try to be very respectful, but theres one or two that let the rest down.

Edited by Richard Leishman

• 1 year later...

This morning woken by about 6 paragliders before 7am at end of Guildown Avenue  (also yesterday evening) they are circling over the area now around Loseley direction now - 45 minutes of noise on a Saturday morning and still going.  They were doing same yesterday evening in a group of 5.    They shouldn’t be near residential areas.   This happened last year.

• Upvote 1

This morning woken by about 6 paragliders from 6.45am at end of Guildown Avenue  and circling over Loseley direction for over an hour.  They were doing same yesterday evening in a group of 5.    They shouldn’t be near residential areas as noise nuisance is considerable .   This happened last year as you’ll see from the other comments so please remind flyers to be considerate - early weekend mornings are particularly anti-social.   Thank you.

This morning woken by about 6 paragliders from 6.45am at end of Guildown Avenue  and circling over Loseley direction for over an hour and another one has just appeared now at 8am.  They were doing same yesterday evening in a group of 5.    They shouldn’t be near residential areas as noise nuisance is considerable .   This happened last year as you’ll see from the other comments so please remind flyers to be considerate - early weekend mornings are particularly anti-social.   Thank you.

I can only apologise from afar for the noise disturbance. I am not one of the pilots in your area but do take noise disturbance into account when flying, as I think all pilots should.

The recommended approach is to take off and leave the area and also not to fly the same routes over and over. The disadvantage of flying a powered paraglider is that the acceptable weather window for flying is limited, generally to early mornings and evenings, hence the activity at this time.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Wideawake said:

This morning woken by about 6 paragliders from 6.45am at end of Guildown Avenue  and circling over Loseley direction for over an hour.  They were doing same yesterday evening in a group of 5.    They shouldn’t be near residential areas as noise nuisance is considerable .   This happened last year as you’ll see from the other comments so please remind flyers to be considerate - early weekend mornings are particularly anti-social.   Thank you.

I am considering a petition against paramotors in and around losely areas. We have a very few days of being able to enjoy the outdoors and you a few of you are ruing it for all of us. This has to stop!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 2

Low flying and really noisy paramotors still flying all over Loseley / Piccards valley. Started at 6.30 Saturday morning and still going 8.30pm. Please have consideration for the residents. Young children find them really scary and it is so intrusive for us all.  

• Like 1

Hi , pictures or vid would really help , no pilot will hold there hands up to a complaint, the local pilots know the rules , all that can be done is talk to them educate them let them know there wrecking it for the local pilots , so pic or vid are needed to try and see what wings they have , and go from there 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I live in Farncombe close to Loseley House and I was quite upset by three low flying paragliders circling above for up to 10 minutes. It was very noisy and disruptive. I think what you do is extremely exciting and brave but the noise of your equipment is atrocious especially when flying lower.

I live off the Hog's Back, and have been plagued this weekend by paramoters - who seem to be using my house at Chalk Pit Cottages as a sighting point to take-off and land at "Barry's field" at Homestead Farm (https://www.facebook.com/HomesteadFarmSurrey/). All pilots - without exception - choose to fly over my house to/from Barry's field, despite my being surrounded by open farmland, which would be a far less disruptive route. Like others on this thread, I was woken at 6:30am Saturday, the noise continued throughout the day, and dinner outside yesterday evening was ruined by a succession of landings from 7pm. Activity has continued throughout this morning. Two videos I took this morning (I wish I'd videoed last night - but I was trying to enjoy dinner!) are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1zMwVoNl012D0o3S5qRXNpbdCWtLeQkrN?usp=sharing

Can I encourage others to post pics - as cas_whitmore proposes, this will allow other paramotor enthusiasts to identify the culprits, and self-police. You could also choose to call Barry Gardiner at Homestead Farm on 07884 261108.

• Like 2

I totally agree with these comments.  I live on the south side of the hogs back next to Losely and the noise was unbearable on Friday night and early Saturday morning.  We also have a lot of horses and I am concerned about risk to them from  low flying paramotors    Some of the pilots seem very accommodating but it would be good to find a solution for everyone 

16 hours ago, Ticked off said:

I am considering a petition against paramotors in and around losely areas.

A more effective and efficient method might be to make direct contact with the pilots in question... In my experience, folks generally do not enjoy spoiling other peoples thing.
I doesn't take much to change someone's behavior to your benefit as long as its done with some sensitivity.
Don't allow your angst to stew into barking at folks who are likely to be just like you... Enjoying "their" thing.

You have put some effort into showing a collaborative front here, put some of that effort into isolating where these pilots are launching from and volunteer the calmest one of you to go and put a "friendly" flea in their ears when they land or put a sign up asking for folks to avoid flying over X Y and Z.

There are many casual agreements just like this around most places I fly from in the NW, it becomes "word of mouth" pass-along info that does get policed by pilots themselves who do not wish to either rock the boat or spoil other peoples thing :) 

• Like 1

Hi @Wideawake @Ticked off @Ella @SCresident

Im terribly sorry to hear about your complaints.

I was there this morning. I have not flown this weekend but did have a chat with Barry who has stated that he has thrown a few pilots off the field this weekend due to antisocial flying (such as you’re complaining of), and also, I’m assuming as a result of the completely understandable complaints, has changed the rules on approaches etc. 

He has also said no one is to take off before 0830.

Hopefully this mornings flights with the new rules didn’t disturb/annoy you anywhere near as much. I can only apologise on behalf of those of us that do fly from there regularly and hopefully not anti socially.

If it’s any consolation the majority of pilots have left today. And if there’s any issues in the future I encourage you to talk directly to Barry (who’s number is above) so he can collar the offending pilots on landing and educate them as he sees fit so we can all live and fly in harmony together!

Thanks a lot

Max

• Like 2