Guildford low flying

dantheman

Hi @mx19

Thanks for the feedback, and for intervening. Things certainly appeared a lot quieter yesterday evening, probably a result of fewer pilots generally. I think I will need to speak with Barry myself about approaches, since I still seem to be directly under the flightpath, and at a point relatively close to Barry's field, where pilots are not at a great height either ascending (which is particularly noisy) or descending.

Looks like it was a combination of a big event hosted at Homestead farm (50+ paramotors, flexwings and Gyros etc) combined with the revised CAA Farnborough airspace restrictions which has forced pilots to fly closer to the ground in this area.

Hopefully Barrys revised flight paths and timings will stop further complaints. The videos posted earlier do show how annoying paramotor noise can be, but at least it shows them flying at sensible height following the law (152 metres away from buildings etc).

Edited by dantheman

• 10 months later...

Please could whoever is flying low over houses in the GU3 area move away from residential areas? Our 6 year old son has been woken yet again by a low flying pilot and the children find it very scary having you fly so close over our gardens.
Please can you stay away from homes. 

2 hours ago, cas_whitmore said:

I’m guessing you’ve a phone , or something that takes a pic , please post a pic if you can , there are local pilots who fly the area , we don’t them but there about , 

Also would you be the resident complaining about the chinooks flying over Guildford via Farnbourgh???? 

If they had called Barry they would have been told there was another small annual event on.

The airfield is right in the middle of the GU3 area, a very rural agricultural part of Surrey and well away from built up areas.

Unfortunately the new “controlled airspace” allocated to Farnborough means that light aircraft, gliders, and other users of “uncontrolled airspace” will be squeezed closer to the ground - that's where the issues lie hence the odd local house will have to put up with occasional engine noise. I also live locally and we get more noise due to lower light aircraft but that's what you get living close to airfields, it's nothing new.

Farnborough Noise campaign:

https://www.wokingnewsandmail.co.uk/?p=33285

GU3-postcode-district-map.webp

airport-map2-1024x739.png

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, cas_whitmore said:

That’s good , I’ve just spoke with pilots there , we need to know your area to avoid , there not flying low they know about the whole situation going , 

Just to add , we don’t stay in one location, we launch and go , out over Guildford/dunsfold/ newlands corner, and some go southcoast/ southdowns 

IMHO this has been a recurring problem since the Farnborough airspace was increased in size and Barry was subsequently asked/told by them to mandate the South East only rule at <=1000ft. So perhaps all such complaints should be forwarded on to the relevant authorities for that, rather than simplistically blaming another victim of the FB airspace rule change, of which these pilots are.

I have been flying on and off at Barry's since 2006 and it used to be much simpler, you took off and flew at 1000-2000ft in almost any direction. There were no complaints then because the traffic was less intense in any one direction. 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

All who used Barry’s new about the Karen’s , no laws were broken, pilots could only reach 600’ that’s the rule there , until over the hogs back , so wasn’t on wot for extended periods , can’t imagine what would happen if pilots XC to the Karen’s area and just hung around there , 

• Like 1