2 Stroke oil

It's been many years since I had cause to buy 2 stroke oil. What's the situation these days?

Do I need to spend £12 on a litre of fully synthetic oil or would I get just as good using the one on the shelf next to it for £7?

Are there any 2 stroke oils for sale these days in the high street that really would be unsuitable for a paramotor ?

Dan

Being a scaredycat I am in the TTS camp... but I have many friends who have been paramotoring for years using all sorts of cheap oils and yet they have no higher record of problems than the rest of us.

This is exactly what my research has suggested. Basically I'm reading that these days there aren't really any 'bad' 2 stroke oils on the shelf.

However, I can understand the scaredycat mentality and I guess I'm in the same camp :D

Interesting article:

http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/oil/oil.htm

Dan

I think most of our scardeycat mentality comes from the manufacturers recommending only Castrol TTS and the thought that anything else will harm the engine or invalidate the warranty.

Out of necessity as I couldn't get hold of TTS in a hurry one day when I wanted to fly, I used Rock Oil fully synthetic (apparently the Kart racers swear by it) and this worked absolutely fine. Would use it again if required.

Just my 2p worth!

Ian.

I know a guy who has run a Parajet Compact since new for about 200 hours now, and has only ever used STIHL mineral chainsaw oil!!!

He has had no problems at all, not one single fault logged.

SW :D

I have on occasion used other oils because I haven't had any TTS. The only thing I do in this scenario is I drain out any other mix I have in the tank rather than add to it so as not to mix different types of oils. Maybe it's overkill but I did hear that some oils didn't mix too well with others.

I know a guy who has run a Parajet Compact since new for about 200 hours now, and has only ever used STIHL mineral chainsaw oil!!!

He has had no problems at all, not one single fault logged.

at our field we all use sthil 2 stroke...and my parajet actually came with a shot from new..

they come in handy sized 100mm "shots" so easy to mix with new fuel.

none of us have had any problems and when you think about it...chainsaws and sthilsaws dont half get some abuse....and i know the problems we have with our stihlsaws are broken cords!!

Agreed, my sthil is bullet proof and I use the sthil oil.

Mike, you can get it from Baydon Mowers rob. :-)

he is a sthil dealer.

The compatibility issues I heard about were mainly between mixing a fully synthetic mix with a mineral mix in the same tank. Might be an idea to consider using the Stihl oil all the time rather than an occasional use when usually using synthetic.

Hello all,

I use a fully synthetic oil by exol which is an English company who blend their own. When i found their oil i contacted them and asked if it was on par with tts to which they sent me a reply saying that the additives in both oils after checking the tts oil spreadsheet was.

Also when you consider that our engines are hardley high revving compared with two stroke motorcycles, but that said you want to give it the best, i would stick with fully synthetic.

The best bit is if you buy their fully synthetic in a 25 litre drum which i did being a Yorkshire man and buy a tap screw for the top myself and others who fly with me can now have a litre of oil for £4, a considerable saving on £12.

Google exol oils to get the details, Alan.

Hello,

I read the link and found the conclusion at the bottom interesting

"Now having said that, here are my recommendations. If you have a Sea-Doo PWC that is still in warranty: Stay with XPS or XPS-DI. Sure there are API-TC certified oils that should preserve your warranty, but in an engine failure the dealer could cause you grief getting your PWC warranted. In my opinion, it’s just not worth the hassle to do battle with them. Stay with the XPS at least until the warranty expires. After the warranty expires, select API-TC oil that carries the certification or confirm in writing the oil you want to use is designed for your PWC. Then find someone else that uses the oil you are considering and get his or her opinion. Do not use TCW3 in your SeaDoo PWC. I don’t care if it’s a full synthetic or your brother-in-law uses it; for the reasons stated above, it will not protect your motor when conditions get tough in your motor."

This subject matter is about jetski's which are very highly tuned. But it looks like there is a difference and more important to me is this line "I don’t care if it’s a full synthetic or your brother-in-law uses it" this means that there are fully synthetic oils that don't come up to the mark!

Rock oil is legendary in Motorcycle circles.

It does make sense that our motors are not over stressed usually running at under 10k rpm. and some do come with STIHL oil (Parajet). here is a good link for the stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STIHL-TWO-2-STROKE-ENGINE-OIL-100ML-ONE-1-SHOT-20-TUBES-/190388889510?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item2c540fe7a6

Cheers Simon

when I first started racing quads I rode a 2 stroke, race lasted around thirty minutes and we rode 3 times a day, 16 rounds to a championship, we ragged the crap out of them, we used rock oil and never had a problem, good stuff :D

My Walkerjet manual doesn't specify a brand, but does state "We recommend using full-synthetic based oils".

It then goes on to state "Do not use the vegetable or animal oil". Guess that rules out running it on lard then ? :lol:

in the old days when i had a fizzer...we used to put a couple of drops of cooking oil in with the fuel....it really did smell like a chip shop riding past!!..

might try it on my macro!!

My Walkerjet manual doesn't specify a brand, but does state "We recommend using full-synthetic based oils".

It then goes on to state "Do not use the vegetable or animal oil". Guess that rules out running it on lard then ? :lol:

in the old days when i had a fizzer...we used to put a couple of drops of cooking oil in with the fuel....it really did smell like a chip shop riding past!!..

Dont forget the salt and vinegar

[quote

in the old days when i had a fizzer...

Cor you had a fizzer, you lucky bugger. I had to make do with an old Honda C70 step thru that I bought for £7, but I always longed for a Fizzer :(

lol....yes...i was privileged!!..however...i did have a bog seat first!!. a boggy 90!! -- the exhaust was that rotten i put a block of wood in the end with a hole in to give the back pressure!!

ahhhhhh them weres the days!!

Aaahh the FS1E (Fizzy). I had an SS50, a yellow one. Little slower to pull away being 4 stroke but quicker top end at over 60mph when thrashed from cold start as we did as kids. The 5 gears helped, think the fizzy had only 4 gears if I remember correctly. And the SS50 had a front disc brake too (wow), only mine didn't work.

I remember racing an AP 50 (Suzuki) through Salisbury. The AP 50 was faster than both Yamaha and Honda and had pulled away in front on a steep down hill section. He made it throught the lights at the bottom of the hill as I chased behind to watch the lights go amber and red, then traffic come across the junction. My front disc brake had been seized for a while and I didn,t get arround to fixing it, only having a rear brake I was never going to stop in time and ended up crashing into a lamp post just before the junction. Snapped a few bones but nothing major. Bike a write off.

Wreckless youth. Ive grown up now tho, and don't mess arround with those sort of things anymore!!!

Whitters.

Aaahh the FS1E (Fizzy). I had an SS50, a yellow one. Little slower to pull away being 4 stroke but quicker top end at over 60mph when thrashed from cold start as we did as kids. The 5 gears helped, think the fizzy had only 4 gears if I remember correctly. And the SS50 had a front disc brake too (wow), only mine didn't work.

I remember racing an AP 50 (Suzuki) through Salisbury. The AP 50 was faster than both Yamaha and Honda and had pulled away in front on a steep down hill section. He made it throught the lights at the bottom of the hill as I chased behind to watch the lights go amber and red, then traffic come across the junction. My front disc brake had been seized for a while and I didn,t get arround to fixing it, only having a rear brake I was never going to stop in time and ended up crashing into a lamp post just before the junction. Snapped a few bones but nothing major. Bike a write off.

Wreckless youth. Ive grown up now tho, and don't mess arround with those sort of things anymore!!!

Whitters.

I had an ss50 too, mine was blue but had the drum brakes, one of my mates had a fizzy and the rest had more modern 50s, they were resticted to 35mph, needless to say we were always waiting for them.

another mate had a fantic gt, fast as f#ck, used to leave us all standing with ease.

when I was much younger my counsin had a fizzer, he rode all the way from enfield to canvey to pick me up and take me to silverstone for the 1979 grand prix, little did I know I would be watching a race meeting that become the stuff of legend.

Barry sheene and Kenny roberts and a dutch rider called hartog, going at it hell for leather, people still talk about their race that day as proberly best 2 wheeled action ever seen on a british race circuit.

fond memories indeed :D

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]