Paramania Fusion.

paramotormike

Just spent the weekend in the Isle of White for 3 days camping and of course flying (when the three kids would let me out of their sight)

I managed 2 very nice evening flights with my Fusion. When I consider my experience is very limited I really cannot fault the wing.

Weather was overcast all weekend (except departure day today) I debated for a long time should I fly or not, but of course the draw was to great and off to the nearest field I could find. Nil wind launch and a forward sprint seen me in the air first try.

The wing naturally rises behind you and seems to sit there waiting for the power.

As the air was silky smooth I decided to explore the speed bar (full reflex) and tip steering. From a PG background I must admit to finding even the thought of taking my hands off the brakes unnatural, but I did. I have found with my Bailey 175 that at full throttle the torque is pretty strong and I do need to keep my left brake down in order to counter it.

Speed bar - no issues, quite hard to apply but it sits very nicely when applied. As I wasnt going anywhere other than playing in the sky above the 1952 Caravan I was staying in I left the speed bar (of course my first worry was is there any chance this will get sucked in the prop, my reasoning side came up with what "designer would be dumb enough to even risk a close shave")

Back to the tip steering, so yes it does feel alien to me and I like the comfort of having the brakes to damp out any surges . But when on full speed you really struggle to bury a brake.

I did explore weight shift and pulling the tip steer down and using the velcro to counter the torque which did sort it. I also got up to 3000ft and dropped the revs completely just to check the wing flies straight (which it did). I really enjoyed leaving the revs off and setting reflex to take off and then cranking the turns in. I fly a DHV Apco Karma and the fusion will carve like a knife when you pull the brake.

The landing is just the same as my Karma, it feels and in fact it does come down alot faster and at about a 100ft I think crikey I am shifting over the ground, but pulling the brakes down to land and its like stepping of a kerb and both landings were a stand up.

I have some photos and a short film but not sure how I publish them on here.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not new news I know, but needed to be in the thread somewhere.

We are pleased to announce that the Paramania Fusion has now passed EN C certification. Alain Zoller from the EN Certification house Air turquoise informed us that the Fusion was the most stable Reflex wing he had ever tested!

At one point, he even accidentally made a series of test flights, with trimmers set to fast (full reflex) and was pleasantly surprised how well behaved the wing was, he wasnt even able to make a full frontal collapse.

looking closely at the certification reports you will see that the EN test maneuver results show mainly As with hardly any Bs and only two Cs!

This is exciting news for both PPG and PG pilots, as it shows how improved the Fusion is over other Reflex wings especially on slow trim!

Similar to a modern intermediate paraglider wing but with the additional ability to do reflex type fast transitions to make it to the next thermal quickly and efficiently makes it a pretty amazing XC wing.

It really is a world first to have a fully reflexed wing, with such good paragliding ratings!

We also feel this will help more paraglider pilots cross over towards paramotoring and visa versa for paramotor pilots to make a transition into paragliding.

The Fusion is an ideal wing for pilots thinking of doing both sports!

http://www.flyparamania.com/images/stories/fusion/2008-12-19_fusion_26_en.pdf

http://www.flyparamania.com/images/stories/fusion/2008-11-17_fusion_29_en.pdf

SW :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I put this post elsewhere so will copy it here. My experience on the Fusion.

I flew the Fusion last weekend. It was only a 30 min or so flight and in moderately lively conditions so can't make any detailed comments.

It was the 29 and I weigh in at probably 110kg in flight mode + my Fresh Breeze Sportix which is probably near the total weight of 150kg ish wing states 80 to 160 http://flyparamania.com/index.php?optio ... 72〈=en

My findings:

Take off: I have a very fixed forward launch take of regeme that works for me on my previous wings (Action Revolution) and it worked well on the Fusion. The riser resistance was light and the wing popped above quickly and level with just a slight assistance from the motor. The run was shorter than I expected and I was lifted off my feet quickly. At first I thought it was a slight gust and expected to come back down again but it wasn't a gust, it just kept climbing.

Handling: This was where I really noticed the difference. It was really responsive to input and turned very nicely. I was a bit anxious at first because I had just adjusted the break line length in the field to fit lower hang points and the markings on the line weren't clear. Also Simon W had warned and warned about the responsiveness. After some gentle circling both left and right I felt comfortable enough to try some tighter turns at height. The wing is both responsive and predictable. very nice to fly.

There were some large thermals arround and the wing gave very good feedback to the surrounding air movements. Perhaps too much feedback making it feel quiet rough at times. I found this a little un-nerving and imagine it will take a fair bit to get used to. If you don't like bumpy conditions it may take a bit to get used to. I need more time on it to make my mind up.

I flew a few miles up wind of take off at fast trim. It appears slightly quicker than my Revolution but needs more active flying input for straight line flight in the lively conditions when compared to my Revo.

Looking up at the wing it looks smaller than I expected and sits further behind you. Not sure what that means but that was my observation.

I did a fair bit of circling / thermaling on tickover and it turns and thermals really well, better than any PPG wing I have flown before. Its seems to be more efficient retaining the energy in turns more like free flying wing.

Landing: I did a low pass early in the flight but didn't want to slow the wing down too much in case I got dropped (midday large cummulus). Also on the landing (first landing on different wing) I kept the speed up on approach and ran the speed off rather than slowing to a stop. It was light variable wind speed and I stopped in just a few paces. I am unsure on how slow the wing can fly on just this single flight.

General Very impressed with the handling and want to try it more. I can definately see why they recommend 50 hours experience, ie responsive to input and surrounding air movements. I think the tree hugging Free flyers will love its thermalling characteristics. Not sure if it is the wing for long XC's though but will have to try one and find out. Simon may let me borrow it for one of my epic flights. I have got a 20 ltr tank to fit on my FB now so after the NATS maybe!!

Hope you found this interesting / usefull.

Whitters.

Got a new paramotor wing a fusion 26 ......total all up weight around 115 kg .....total hrs around 300.....my views on the fusion after 8 take off and landings.......after reading everything I could about the fusion I expected a hot ship when I got air borne ..I found the turns slow.....yes slow.. :( ...everybody else says its quick to turn ??? my Skywalk Scotch will run rings around it....but thats a hybrid glider.....so that was a bit of disapointment .. :( ..another thing I read was its quick to respond to input....again I found it slow....compaired to my scotch......time then to get heavy handed with my new toy......yes it will turn quick ( not super quick) but quick enough to live with but with a lot more effort than I am used to so I need to apply some more muscle....I can and will get used to that.....when the trimmers are set to fast though thats when I started to fall in love with this wing 8) it really is the Bollocks and it suprised me turning ok on the tip stearing with a bit of weight shift....(.Pap ros 125...)..this is where it just would leave my old wing for dead.....and buried....and it smooths out all those little bumps and things and I find myself yahoo ing to myself..whilst flying ,,, :D ,,,I can and will go places on this wing.... landings are a doodle (take off trim)...... it feels solid in the air and I felt happy that it was not going to suprise me after the first few seconds ,, (and it was not the nicest of air to fly in) another thing that I noticed was on inflation the wing tips stayed in untill it was well on its way up....it did not seem to effect anything but I did notice it.....dont know why paramania recomends 40+ hrs before you should consider this wing ......perhaps its packing it up afterwards.....I tried and tried to pack it up the same way as it came from the factory to no avail.....1/2hr later it sits proudly in a stuff sack....Ive bought some weights to build up my arm strength ....and it looks like the start of a long and loving relationship.....but one that needs a heavy hand now and then :lol:

Has anyone tried Speedbar on slow trim as the manual suggests is possible? (Maybe a leftover from the GT manual??)

I know the trimmer visuals disagree, but I don't know that flicking a trimmer buckle is efficient (or timely) as a speedbar when dealing with gust factor in dynamic lift.

I haven't yet had the height to try it - anyone else?

I know reflex profiles add stability at speed, which I assume is why the manual and everyone seem to say give'er all the bar you want when on fast trim. Makes sense.

If one is in light ridge lift (free flying) however and dealing with gusts, fast trim means sinking out and while I know you can adjust trim toward neutral and recreate some of the flaps with brake input, it is less efficient to fly this way (higher sink rate) and gusts can put you over the back.

I know the safe answer - not what I'm asking.

Input welcome on which is true - trimmer visuals or manual.

I've seen a video as well, and it was distributed without context. Pilot yanked slow trim while on bar, supposedly intentionally, subsequent frontal, loss of 50-75 alt and 180-270, return to regular flight, riser untwist, exit stage right. One persons nasty is another's day of test flying.

Um.... here.. (Do read the comments to dispel some of the myth please) :

In this case, manual says safe for all trim settings, trimmers do not. It is the conflict for which I'm asking for personal experiences. Anyone?

I added the suggestion that maybe it was an excerpt from the action GT manual as I've seen typos previously which suggested manual re-edited for other wings which makes sense anyway (except typos). Wheel right here. No need reinvent wheel.

I really didn't mean to point to a dead horse for more flogging. Sorry.

Page 9 is what I was referring to:

http://flyparamania.com/downloads/FUSION_manual.pdf

If I find myself with height to try it in ridge lift, I certainly will, but this wing has been out for some time and would like to learn from others.

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of those who have done it seeing this to report their experiences.

Here's a thirty minute flight jammed into ten - Kind of like Simon's time lapse fusion ride, but with the stuff in between.

@ 7:20 I switch to takeoff trim from full slow. Was a nice calm flight for the most part, but x3 looks zippy - careful making judgments on sped up video.

There is absolutely no speedbar used in the making of this video, but who doesn't like more flying videos?

Yesterday whilst flying the Revolution I inadvertantly put full speed bar on with trimmers on slow. I had been doing some low beach flying and climbed out heading off.

Whilst heading off I forgot to take the trimmers off and put speedbar on. Immediately I felt a rythmic jurking from the left wing tip which I intitially thought was something happening to the motor. When I looked up I could see the left tip leading edge surging on the point of tucking. Eeeeeek :shock: I gently released the speedbar and put trimmers fast again.

I have seen the GT vid before. He very nearly got wrapped in his wing which would have made for a very bad day. :(

Personnaly I wouldn't want to try it on the Fusion although I understand your reasons for wanting more pitch controll in certain conditions.

Regards

Whitters.

Never on any reflex wing, apply the speedbar on slow trim.

With my 23 Fusion I don't even need one (already faster than all of the other people I fly with) so stand no chance of it happening.

I don't know why, its' just a thing... but I just dont like speed bars. I know that's a bit of a LARGE thing to say, but I have seen...

People tripping up on them (which I know there are fixes for)

Swinging back and hitting prop on take off

Near collapses

Actual collapses ( this includes Paragliding non relfex DHV 1/2 wings )

And......

Someone exploding

ALL caused / part caused, as a result of a speedbar in one way or another.

For the extra that it gives me, in the conditions I choose to fly in, with the people that I fly with... it's next to useless to me and I like not having to think about it.

SW :D

One item I discovered absolutely invaluable to me early on free flying to keep a speedbar out of the way until it's needed is a retrofit of "line keepers".

These are the spring loaded plastic rigs that generally you find around lines on a draw string based cinch flytrap, winter boots at the top, or the bottom of an all weather coat or tent bag. One of these on each line just behind the last grommet before your speedbar will keep it up out of the way for launch and not hinder the use of it at all.

Your points are certainly all valid Simon, I've found that trimmer range is all that's been needed to adjust to conditions so far.

I did find myself wondering though if I could use bar to smooth out gusts in ridge lift as trimmers are not particularly suited for such a transient condition and could cause more problems if used as such. The video above doesn't show me sitting on one riser to keep from going back into the trees. That happened more than once in that flight.

When the manual came out, another pilot suggested that the trimmer graphics take precedent over the manual which contradicts that and says it's ok for all trim ranges. Certainly fine advice as it errs on the side of caution, but I was hoping someone (perhaps a rare bird) that uses the fusion in free flight has tried it with or without success. The wing is touted as a dual purpose wing, and while ripping between thermals can easily happen with trims alone, in ridge lift the bar becomes the tool of choice to deal with variations of short duration as the reference is close proximity to snaggables when it's needed. With sufficient height, one can trade speed for height via trims.

As I understand it, the AOA adjustment inherent in speedbar application introduces instability by the nature of it's function (@ slow trim or on a standard paraglider). My question is merely whether the Fusion remains *AS* stable at slow trim when speedbar is applied as the manual suggests. I would expect in turbulence the risk of a frontal increases proportionally with speedbar application (again: slow trim only) like any Paraglider as it would be trimmed as one. Actual observation of my Fusion vs my Advance Epsilon4 wing suggests that the Fusion goes beyond the trim setting (stock, line length established, unchangeable) of a standard glider toward where a standard glider would be in min-sink brake application. At least this is how it flies relative to my previous FF wing. At neutral or takeoff trim, it flies much the same - well, except for that roll rate...

edit: btw thanks Whitters, the Revo is not far off the Fusion and a frontal "luff" such as you describe suggests the manual may need a tweak - was the left the unloaded side of your torque steer?

• 3 weeks later...

A major improvement to the safety of the fusion ??? :shock:

I fitted the wing tip stearing using the correct knot ......and it works.....for a while then unless you check it every single time it can start to slip down the stabilis line.....and make a big loop of excess line that comes Dangerously close to the prop.....this has also happened to some of my mates who fly Revoutions.....and apparently this system of securing the tip stearing line has allready caused some accidents (apparently) :(

*****SO IVE IMPROVED THE FUSION ******

Ive made the stabilis lines in two parts ie with a loop connection 1 mtr up from the riser to which now the tip stearing line can be fitted if you want to :idea::idea:

Simple ideas are sometimes the best......what concerns me a little bit is how come I had to think of this..........

perhaps its because I operate on another level :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed "Pitch stability exiting accelerated flight" in:

http://flight.manual.free.fr/tests/para ... -26_uk.pdf

See #5 and # 21 "accelerated ears"

The test criteria say the trims are closed - so full slow, and they tested speedbar.

This jives with the manual.

Results from #11 are also interesting, although I wonder why the lighter loading didn't go parachutal.

From my experience the Fusion has no real stall hard point at all (requiring some comfort in knowing where one's hands are and when it happens).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...