Bailey Aviation -still a thing?

Hi

My mind keeps wandering off to the reliability of the 4 stroke. Although I have never tried one, I really like the idea of the XC with less worry about the highly strung 2 stroke engine potentially going pop on me.

I wondered if anyone knew if Bailey were still active? Seems a bit hit and miss from what I am reading...

Thanks

On 01/04/2021 at 08:59, Capotec2015 said:

My mind keeps wandering off to the reliability of the 4 stroke. Although I have never tried one, I really like the idea of the XC

I weighed my setup yesterday to make sure I wasn't bullshitting.... 40kg with half a tank of fuel, no flight deck.
My old legs are close to admitting defeat... Too heavy and not enough power to get me off reliably.
I love the stupid thing for the reasons you mention (aprox 2.2 liters an hour)
The newer V5 is a bit lighter but a bit too pricy for a skinflint.
As much as I don't want to end up on wheels, I want a two stroke even less and I want to give up flying even less than that... Rock and a Hard place :)

If you have good strong legs, do it!

I guess we have the EOS quattro to look forward to as far as four-stroke developments go.

Just to add some real world figures to newer Bailey machines.

The V5 Classic (4 quarters cage) is 28.5kg dry. Don't know if the V5S on the Bailey Superlight chassis is any lighter, it could be.

I swapped the V5 motor onto a Parajet Zenith frame and the dry weight came out at .. 28.5kg.

Edited by alan_k

5 minutes ago, alan_k said:

28.5kg dry

So the V2 is carrying about 5.5kg extra, that's not far off a full tank of fuel!
The V2 feels almost reasonable when its no fuel in it so 5.5kg lighter would be pretty cool!
Starter motor and sprag clutch on the V2 cant be far off 2kg and the magneto bell is no lightweight either.

The superlite is 27.5kg.

I got rid as I wasn't happy with the support from Bailey, which seems to be a common theme if you ask around.

Whilst he is currently trading, I got the impression he isn't interested any more and I had doubts about parts and support going forward, so decided to cut my losses.

Pity, as it was a nice machine with good features on top of the engine. 

I don't understand why he doesn't just sell the business to someone else. Although once the EOS quattro comes out the niche market has gone anyway. 

i had a bailey v5 before the nitro 200.

i was worried id miss the fuel economy. ive had the nitro 3 years now, and have only once been over 3lr/hour. almost always i get around 2.5. AND i get loads od thrust and a machine thats starts easy and doesnt weigh a ton. i did like the solid enigineering of Pauls (i had a one off 1.3m jpx330 80kg thrust machine as well), but really imho the 4 stroke experiment was an interesting failed experiment.

stu

• 1 year later...

I was curious enough about a ppg 4stroke that I ordered a bailey v5 motor from UKPPG. Got a email today that my order was cancelled and refunded because Bailey aviation isn't willing to sell the motor alone.

Seeing as I can't know what the future holds and always wishing to look at the bright side of things, I'll just mark the experience as the Universe watching out for me. And I've since placed a order for the gravity defiant x. With a 5 gallon tank and a multi-fit mounting place, I'll soldier on with the tried and true moster, while still being open to what the future may bring.

On that note, EOS did jump on FB today to post a follow-up comment to someone asking if they can pre-order the Quattro...

"Mattias Van Damme , can do,but need some more months before mass production starting"

So that's more of the same from EOS, namely empty words. Which may be for the best since it took Bailey 5 versions and Vitto who knows how many to refine their motors.

But life goes on, I can't make more time, so just have to get on with it.

• Like 1

Owch!
One of my options for my attempted Sub70kg three axis build was a new Bailey V5s from UKPPG.
Can you confirm that UKPPG were offering the V5S or was it the standard V5.....?
I never could work it out on their site.

2096722674_6_8kg3.thumb.jpg.d9377409415321aa30b3450cb581527b.jpg

I guess I'm sticking to a stripped down V2 or a custom GY6.... Time is short and I have to get this thing done and off the floor at least once before I curl up and die :) 

It was the v5s I ordered.

Not thinking anything about it, I completed my motor purchase at UKPPG and immediately went on the eprops site and ordered up a prop. That one is clearing customs stateside at the moment, and apparently a v5s will not be following behind. 

2 hours ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Owch!
One of my options for my attempted Sub70kg three axis build was a new Bailey V5s from UKPPG.
Can you confirm that UKPPG were offering the V5S or was it the standard V5.....?
I never could work it out on their site.

2096722674_6_8kg3.thumb.jpg.d9377409415321aa30b3450cb581527b.jpg

I guess I'm sticking to a stripped down V2 or a custom GY6.... Time is short and I have to get this thing done and off the floor at least once before I curl up and die :) 

Mark am i correct in thinking your going scoot 2 wheel configuration 🤔, if so like the outside of the box view 👌👍

48 minutes ago, xNateX said:

and apparently a v5s will not be following behind. 

That is pretty depressing!
I just took delivery of a 160cm E-Prop and got stung for the VAT so be prepared.

38 minutes ago, kiwi k said:

Mark am i correct in thinking your going scoot 2 wheel configuration 🤔, if so like the outside of the box view 👌👍

Either a skid or a wheel on the nose there... Skids on the wingtips.
Most of my ideas are stolen from other peoples efforts/success but the aircraft bellow is quite a bit over 70kg so there are some compromises on mine... That's if 70kg can be done at all and remain safe.
I could save 4kg using an Atom80 but I REALLY don't want to use a two stroke!

6 hours ago, Blackburn Mark said:

I could save 4kg using an Atom80 but I REALLY don't want to use a two stroke!

Mark have you looked at Cobra 4T from Thailand originally who now no longer exist, but  i do know Blackhawk America now do them as banhsee 190's.

19kg is too heavy.
Its very thirsty and very expensive.

I own two Baileys V2 engines (18kg)... (The V5s is 16kg and about £3000) 
I have also been working on a spanking new GY6 with a 63mm cylinder (180cc) that I "think" I could get down to 14kg if I lose the magneto, sprag clutch, starter and use an alloy muffler etc etc.... Time is the issue on that... I prefer flying to machining but that motor only cost me £175 :) 

Atom80 is 10kg