Zenith engine alignment

I'm looking for a second opinion on a possible issue I've uncovered. 

After having extremely poor service from Bailey I decided to buy a Parajet Zenith frame to put my Bailey motor into. My motor is a V3 180, not new but very limited use, less than 30 hours on it and it runs lovely. 

The Zenith frame is a work of art, but was never fitted with a V3 motor. It came supplied with mounts and tank brackets to suit a Bailey v5 motor so I've had to make a new engine mounting plate from correct spec material.

I used the dimensions available from the Bailey site to map out my bolt holes while lining my prop centre with the V5 mount which I have. 

Now that I have it mounted it seems to be offset to the left by around 10mm. 

Is this a torque compensation element or have I made a cock up and the prop should be in the centre of the cage?

Scott

Yeah I've already got the Bailey bits fitted, but they suit the V5 motor, mine is a v3 with the mounting holes in a slightly different place.

Parajet don't do a mount to suit the V3.

Any Zenith owners know if the prop sits over to the left a bit? (Looking from the rear)

Scott.

Edited by Vauxscott

After having extremely poor service your still using the V3 Motor?? Does your V3 have all the latest upgrades?  

I have to say i still love the V5 engine and i did love my old V3, 180 for XC flying,  I also loved my Moster zenith, BUT  IMO there are motor and chassis combinations that really shouldn't be...   Modern combo's like the Parajet V3 with Top 80 engine??   Fairly heavy chassis with a low power engine when there is a great set up like the Miniplane!!

I think that your choice of chassis and engine combo is not going to be that great...  WHY?.. The Zentih V5 needs a backing plate as you know pushing the engine further out the back making it feel much heavier and more cumbersome than an alloy classic chassis V3 V5. The V3 and the V4 Bailey engine are even deeper and are allot heavier than the V5, some +3kg @ 18.5kg. The all up weight of your set up is going to hit close to or more than a Mac Fly fitted with a 250 @90kg thrust and 2-3lph!!

For the same thrust output you could be flying a 21kg Thor 80 Mac Fly 60kg thrust  or a Top 80 with less power but at 19-20kg 50-55kg thrust.. 

Good luck on your project 

I hear what your saying Morgy and I totally agree. However it's all about budget and forward planning for me, after a poor experience with Bailey I decided to change frame. I would have loved to buy a complete package but my budget doesn't allow for that. I plan to use the V3 motor until I have budget available to upgrade, when I do it will be to a Moster which suits the frame perfectly.Until that time I need to make do with what I have. 

Ive knocked 2.2kgoff the motor by removing the charging circuit and fitting a lipo pack. That battery is a heavy lump!

The V3 Zenith combo will feel heavy that's for sure, but it's only heavy on the ground!

Scott.

Personally i would advertise the V3 motor for sale and just buy a SH Moster.. The price difference won't be that far out..   Plus if you have not had the Crank upgrades on the V3 your going to in for min £500 if it goes pop and will loose that motor for 3-4-5 months!!  

Hi Scott

You said your prop is out by 10mm  . Did you allow for the offset on your excentric  shaft   when you tighten up your V - belt.

I had the exact same issue  when I fitted my twin cylinder JPX on a zenith frame. I set it up on the center line and the excentric  took it out by around 10mm.  I am flying it like that , no issues  and no torque  steering.

Casey 

• Upvote 1

Got the motor finished off today and run it up. Certainly feels heavy but not unmanageable. Run for about 10 minutes at a range of throttle settings, all bolts rechecked for torque, nothing came loose or fell off so I'm calling it a success! 

Need to do a hang test before committing aviation. Was thinking about using the swings at the local park but I'd get some funny looks...

Ill post a few pics once I work out why the upload keeps failing.

Scott.

• Upvote 1

I'm 88kg, With the heavier engine now fitted it's definitely worth checking properly. I'll use the roof beams in the garage and a long ratchet strap. Should work fine, but if I'm not back on here it probably means I've pulled the roof down on myself...

Scott.

Scott

Hope your hang test went better than mine. Mine was hanging  over a round pipe, which  was on the edge off another pipe ,  with the floor covered in junk.

I said to myself :DO NOT LEAN BACK *******    Got in the seat and started dreaming about taking it flying !!!!!

I forgot that detaiI  while I was seated , ended up with my legs in the air  between  a lot of stuff  when my support came adrift. 

Took a while to get out of that mess !!!!!!!!

Up to this day I still can't remember if the hang test was successful !!!! at least I was flying  , however short that was !!!!!!!!!!!!

Casey

• Upvote 1

Well my hang test didn't go to plan... turns out the Zenith doesn't have enough travel on the hang points to suit my engine. 

Even in the rear holes on the arms it's still borderline, and I can't get my arms through the swing arms... 

Seems a V3 is just too heavy, not only that but the weight is too far back on the Zenith frame. 

Looks like my hunt for a Moster engine has started early!

This has been a load of work, but hopefully nobody else will waste their time.

:-) I was waiting for that ;-) I know little Jamie had issues when upping the engine size. :-(

The Zenith is great if you match the engine to your weight, Although that said, the 180 in the zenith works well for me @75kg and so does the 80lc (with the hang points in the same place, so not like it's grams we're talking. :-) 

SW :D

. i would try test flight i fitted v2 bailey to wasp frame im 95kg.done hang test then test flew it i was on back hole on the minari arms.on hang test in garden,had to move 2 holes forward after first test flight ,flys perfect now.you could buy wasp frame best valve for money frame about and keep your engine.or try different arms on zenith the minari arms are not as radical as the zeniths swan necks,it might work for you.how do you upload pics on here

Spoiler