Air Conception Nitro 200cc

custom-vince

19 hours ago, chrisg547 said:

Is the XL your go to machine Vince. Or do you primarily use the the standard size one?

It is right now as it’s all I have. What ever I have handy is my go to machine. 

It feels big in the shed, garage, workshop whatever, when handling. On the field though, it’s nothing but normal unless stood next to a normal size one. In the air, smoother and quieter. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, custom-vince said:

It is right now as it’s all I have. What ever I have handy is my go to machine. 

It feels big in the shed, garage, workshop whatever, when handling. On the field though, it’s nothing but normal unless stood next to a normal size one. In the air, smoother and quieter. 

Do you really notice that big of a thrust difference between the XL and normal Nitro? Or was that an exaggeration by Aviator?

Guest chrisg547

I read (not sure in this post or one of theres without checking) Vince reckons the prop screws through the air differently when airborne. But not much noticeable difference on the ground. But swinging the bigger prop his rpm's seem to be a lot lower for the given thrust.

This really interests me from not just the economy end, but primarily about reducing the noise to protect my hearing. At 5500-6000rpm on a Moster its fine but over 7000 I'm not keen on how much noise I am subjected to (NB. I wear foam ear plugs and Peltor 3's) Even with both these though a lot of what you hear/feel is the noise vibration through your body/head.

(Obviously you could say that PPG is the wrong sport to be involved with if you're worried about damaging your ears from noise but lets not go down that road).

14 minutes ago, AndyB said:

With the same engine, maximum thrust should not be much different. Certainly not different enough to notice.

Wrong, with a slightly bigger propeller you get at big difference, with a much bigger propeller you get a huge difference.
Miroslav explains it best with this video. 

I didn't calculate it, but you are right. :)

I was just guessing that for Nitro vs Nitro XL should be around 10 kg thrust difference. I didn't think this would be that noticeable . I have just tried putting the figures in a thrust calculator and calculated the difference....and got 63 Kg vs 78 Kg! We would probably notice that! Figures could both be higher as you have to make some assumptions when doing calcs. I used the same assumptions for both These figures are the in flight difference. On the ground the bigger prop does less well (but should still be higher) as it requires the moving airflow. 

Yes I notice a big difference on the thrust when flying. More so than I expected, it was surprise to me also. 

Chris. If you want to protect your ears, try ANR it’s the only system I found which combats the noise coming through skull vibration. It’s a simple test, put your fingers in your ears and humm. You hear yourself, much the same with plugs or defenders. With ANR, your own humm is very muffled, quite bizarre. Bose QC20 is working for me, need to shield from wind noise is all. 

On 4/29/2018 at 16:17, custom-vince said:

Yes I notice a big difference on the thrust when flying. More so than I expected, it was surprise to me also. 

Chris. If you want to protect your ears, try ANR it’s the only system I found which combats the noise coming through skull vibration. It’s a simple test, put your fingers in your ears and humm. You hear yourself, much the same with plugs or defenders. With ANR, your own humm is very muffled, quite bizarre. Bose QC20 is working for me, need to shield from wind noise is all. 

Do you think once the Tornado comes out, the Nitro will go down in price at all?

Hah! price go down, not a chance! It's still a superb product that will be on the market for a long time. But I seriously think they will do a major update in a couple of month, or early next year, based on the latest development.

With the R2 frame development and the switch from alloy to magnesium. Price will increase slightly. The R2 has a more complicated build process with a few more features plus 2 sizes.

The magnesium delta machine will be the new price competitive option while also greatly improved over any standard alloy product. I think this will raise a few eyebrows.

Magnesium is lighter and stronger than alloy. 

12 hours ago, Casper said:

Hah! price go down, not a chance! It's still a superb product that will be on the market for a long time. But I seriously think they will do a major update in a couple of month, or early next year, based on the latest development.

Supposedly all Nitros from now on will come with the V2 frames, which is the updated Race and the new Magnesium. Eric said magnesium should be about $250 more than the aluminum one. 

Supposedly all Tornadoes come with the diamond coated interior, making them stronger than the nickle interior that the nitro has. I wish they would upgrade all future nitros to the diamond coated interior as well. But I haven't heard anything about that.

A quick video from yesterday, mounted a gopro session 5 directly to the frame, it shows some vibration, not bad though. Flying Nitro XL level flight, Natural sound, no music. You can hear the difference flying out on slower trims and flying back on faster trims. 

Ozone freeride 19m, I’m 84kg plus clothes.

I have a foot camera also gopro 3 Silver , have not seen that footage yet. The newer session WiFi connect to my phone, the older gopro does not. 

• Like 2

I have not flown long XC with it yet.

I launched with 4.5 litres and landed with 2.8 litres left after 45 minutes flying. I took photo before launch and after landing. 

I need another pilot to fly a similar setup and confirm. The freeride seems economical when combined with XL, plus I had 20 mins full trims out. no bar.

Edited by custom-vince

Made the most of another nice evening. Low flying and punching the throttle a bit more while turning etc, I burned a bit more fuel. 

Best I can judge, about 2.7 litres in 50 mins. Landed with a little under a 1/4 of a litre. (Very low ?)

chrome dome is back

• Like 1

Cool Vince. As you were ripping around low I see you flew through some bonfire smoke or something similar... did it throw you about a bit, or was it nothing to write home about?

I ask because I've always avoided warm rising BBQ/bonfire smoke - thinking I'd be doomed!

Good question. 

I did get a little wallop from that. Felt the heat and got a single bump. As I passed to the side on the way back over you can see my right brake handle lost pressure, I would guess from the mushroom swirl of heat rising, there’s some sink around it. 

Anything bigger I avoid for sure. 

2 hours ago, alan_k said:

Those yellow fields are rape seed for future reference.

Love to see them myself.

Yes I know, I live in the country surrounded by the stuff ?

Townies struggle if I say I love flying over all the rape. They cunjour up a different image. My local farmers have a lot of rape this time of year. Good time of year for a lot of rape in the fields when the suns out. 

See what I mean? I’ll just call them big yellow fields. ? cause they are yellow, big and fields. lol.