Air Conception Nitro 200cc

custom-vince

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There was a gap in the weather Thursday and I got to fly.. Nitro200 & revo3 26 & gts19 & it was all great but muddy.

Nitro is amazing, the power of a Moster in a 19kg machine, it spools up really fast, very punchy on power but also very controllable.

Revo3, is an all round subtle improvement over the revo2, big things that stuck out obviously is the trimmers are really easy & a lot more tidy. Efficiency at faster trims felt good, efficiency felt improved at all trims.

Gts19. Fast, fun, agile and feels really safe. It's a small wing and for me at 85kg and my skill level it's right on my limit for launching in nill wind. I think that will improve with a few more goes and refining technique. Loved it.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

16mm hoop is an upgrade meant for tandem. The narrow profile hoop is lighter.

Both have pros and cons. The narrow hoop saves weight right where it's needed at the point furthest from the pilot.

The 16mm hoop is 300grams more making the paramotor 19.3kg. A begligible difference I admit and only arguably stronger.

The 16mm hoop comes on the polished frames, 12mm narrow profile comes on the White frames.

Both designs can be power launched, all thought I don't full power launch with the nitro. 1/4 throttle is enough to get you moving, building rpm as I run.

That's not so easy. Replacing would mean removing and refitting with rivets.

It's not hard but you do need a drill and manual rivet tool.

Small repairs though can be carried out as per fishermans netting as it is knotted not woven style net.

I say small, I once dropped a radio complete with wire and plug through my netting and prop. Took out about 6 holes which i weaved back in. Even the prop was ok.

Lots of examples on YouTube of net repair, if your unfortunate enough to need it.

Here's an example.

http://youtu.be/eRZP-_n0Rik

I've only had to do it the once so far, not a major problem.

16mm hoop is an upgrade meant for tandem. The narrow profile hoop is lighter.

Both have pros and cons. The narrow hoop saves weight right where it's needed at the point furthest from the pilot.

The 16mm hoop is 300grams more making the paramotor 19.3kg. A begligible difference I admit and only arguably stronger.

The 16mm hoop comes on the polished frames, 12mm narrow profile comes on the White frames.

Both designs can be power launched, all thought I don't full power launch with the nitro. 1/4 throttle is enough to get you moving, building rpm as I run.

I saw a gentle power launch on one in las candelas and the cage flexed so much the netting was caught by the prop. On a subsequent flight both the bottom plastic spigots broke on the cage which could have been nasty.

The Nitro engine has both the low and high jets sealed on the carb. The engine I saw seemed to be running very lean with a white plug and smelled very hot with no adjustment the owner could have done without voiding warranty. The throttle pick up was bad and lead to a few failed launches due to this.

That's a real issue with all of these ultra light frames in my opinion.

As a minimum I would expect to be able to power launch in light winds.

I get that the plus of owning one is a super light machine, but for me if it does not do one of the few jobs that it's supposed to do then that's a real shame and I would gladly carry a small amount more weight for a stronger cage. :-)

I love that they are all getting lighter and nicer to use / fly, but can also see what I would call unacceptable weakness in a number of machines through a range of manufactures just to save a few grams at the cost of real functionality loss. This is not a direction I would go in as a manufacturer personally but 'each to there own I suppose'. :-)

It's great that we have such a variety of machines to choose from now!! When I started it was a RAD or it was home made, maybe I am just hard to please... :-)

SW :D

I saw a gentle power launch on one in las candelas and the cage flexed so much the netting was caught by the prop. On a subsequent flight both the bottom plastic spigots broke on the cage which could have been nasty.

The Nitro engine has both the low and high jets sealed on the carb. The engine I saw seemed to be running very lean with a white plug and smelled very hot with no adjustment the owner could have done without voiding warranty. The throttle pick up was bad and lead to a few failed launches due to this.

Yes I have that one in right now.

The plastic lugs are designed to break in the event of a crash, thus saving the main chassis from damage. This design has been used by Air Conception for 2 years without fault and still no fault on the 12mm frame. Since offering the upgraded 16mm tube it has caused a couple of breakages, maybe leverage, not 100% sure why. It has been remote and sporadic, a couple of lugs across 60 paramotors. The main concern is the few that have broke have no reason, no accident involved. For this reason the part has now been made from alloy. It will be much stronger yet being alloy it should still break before bending the titanium in the event of an accident, which is the aim of the part. Soon as I heard I warned all my existing pilots who could be affected.

I haven't seen a power launch flex the frame, it is very stiff when assembled, more so than many sectional frames, any video? I will keep an eye on that and will ask this pilot for his verdict.

This was the first nitro to come in with sealed jets, If it can be seen to be running lean, I would have advised pilot to richen and the 2 years warranty will still stand. I will be reporting this back and see what feedback I get. Yes if it was not picking up from idle I suspect it is a little lean. The engine has undergone lots of testing and doubt it would have caused an issue, they run cooler than most.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any word on a clutch for the Nitro 200?

I spoke with someone over at Blackhawk Paramotors who said they tried fitting clutches on their Talon 175cc motors, but they all failed because (I guess) the added torque and power is simply too much for a lightweight clutch to handle.

I would imagine that a centrifugal clutch would indeed not be enough for a 175cc+ motor, and plate clutches would be too heavy?

There has been working prototypes but not been 100% happy with them.

Got to remember Air Conception offer at least 2 years warranty.

I have seen recent developments and it is coming, don't know when. More testing being done, to early to say.

At one point I thought we were getting a clutch version before electric start but it wasn't upto the testing so electric start nitro got here before clutch.