Keeping a look out - collision avoidance

Complete newbie question, but........

I understand the importance of keeping ones eyes peeled for other aircraft, but at the same time (given the slow speed of paramotors and the far greater speed of pretty much everything else) isn't this a little like asking a hedgehog to keep a good lookout when crossing the M4? Is avoidance really an option, or is it more a question of making sure you present a more visible aspect of your wing to oncoming traffic? I.e. hedgehog in hi-vis vest with strobe on its head.

Edited by Guest

Those damed balloons must sneak up on you pretty fast I imagine. I suppose the other factor, that I hadn't appreciated is that the slow speed of a paramotor also helps to reduce the closing speed compared to a couple of Group A aircraft meeting head on.

So, if fast jets don't see paramotors, what do they see? I naively imagined that paramotors were at least as visible as anything else (except balloons), if not more so. Looks like a hi-vis vest could be a plan!

It makes no difference if you are flying with Mark, if he loses sight of you it is Top Gear rules, and so leaves you any way

:)

The worst case for me is flying straight into the sun, a really good pair of shades halps, but even then you can know that someone is in front of you and totally loose them. Could be a disaster if you did not know they were there.

[*]

So, if fast jets don't see paramotors, what do they see? I naively imagined that paramotors were at least as visible as anything else (except balloons), if not more so. Looks like a hi-vis vest could be a plan!

When they're low? Closing speeds are fast. Very little collision avoidance. Which is why you gotta stay clear of the low level routes particularly during the week.

:D

Barry

Top gear rules only apply if you crash... Like Luke on the Isle of wight :lol::lol: . Or if you have an engine out and nothing can be done...

We always make sure the downed pilot gets home... As you well know from Experiance when you used to Own the worlds most unreliable Paramotor. :wink:

Glad things have now changed for the better!!! :wink:

:explode:

Happily very little low flying fast stuff around here, but I'll keep an eye out when the moment comes. Hi-vis bobble hat and kevlar Y-fronts at the ready. Gift-wrapping a Tornado would be an exciting, but brief adventure.

This is the cannon mount from a Tornado that ended up in the field next to our house (up north), 50ft is the norm on the ranges but unfortunately this one clipped trees on a slight hill and ploughed in, we could do nothing for the crew. I'm a bit of a stickler for checking NOTAMS and low flying danger area activations etc.

Tornado44-45_2.jpg

Full story HERE

Thankfully our nation now has no enemies and we can afford huge cuts in our defence budget meaning that low flying jets will soon be a rare sight! Must be part of a very cunning plan which includes releasing terrorists while imprisoning the SAS! .....I digress from lookout....

7 nm a minute for a fast jet, just hope the pilot doesn't drop his pen!

true about the inevitable reduction in fast jets but as compensation looks like the MOD is committed to its Drone program, not sure how I feel about flying around having to be spotted by a Xbox player miles away in RAF Waddington getting to grips with his new Reaper drone!

true about the inevitable reduction in fast jets but as compensation looks like the MOD is committed to its Drone program, not sure how I feel about flying around having to be spotted by a Xbox player miles away in RAF Waddington getting to grips with his new Reaper drone!

I was tracked by a military drone a couple of months ago. I only found out a couple of days later when a friend in the military told me they had been tracking me from the back of a Transit whilst testing the drones prior to deployment. The drone's camera showed I was wearing the latest DPM camo trousers and their first thought was whether something was going on that they should know about. I checked the helmet cam footage but the drone was too small and far away to be visible (but I did manage to spot their Transit eventually :D ).

I find the threat from drones pales compared to the low level jets, Hercules and Chinooks I have to avoid around here. I do NOTAMS every time - except last week when I managed to get an unexpected flight in and just as I was about to clip in a jet came over at a couple of hundred feet at lower than usual speed. It's likely the pilot saw the wing laid out because his mates came past a couple of minutes later and had made a clear point of avoiding my position by about three miles whereas they normally fly in fairly predictable position in this spot.

Well the fast jets , and Hercs , and Helicopters , have all seen me ( so far ! ).... I try to stay away from known flightpaths through the week . I ve been in the same airspace as F-15 s , Toccano s, Hawks( 3 flew under me in formation ) , Hercules , and Typhoons .

Where i live , anything can appear at anytime , so i tend to fly low near the beaches and sea , or close to the mountains .

Weekends are generally quiet , just the odd private plane or helicopter......

5733641c48e24_Typhoon2.JPG.01bbfbc702db3

Edited by Guest