ppg crash

In my humble opinion, if you where to "plummet from the skies" you'd bust more than your ankle, classic case of the people who don't know paramotoring,

dramatising it up for the report...

The guy probably did some low level flying over the sea, flew around a bit, then landed badly, it happens... (well it can when I fly :D )

Just hope he's OK..

• 1 month later...

Hi All

This was me who crashed on cleethorpes beech. I was flying low along the waters edge but if you no cleethorpes beech the the sea retreats well out at low tide. I was flying into wind and not getting anywere fast so did a sharpe turn down wind and you can guest what happen next I got asymmetric collapse. Being only 50-60 feet high wing never recovered. I think i got away with it only breaking my ankle. I am on the mend with pins and plates now in the ankle but hope to be walking within the next 3-4 weeks. As for the CAA they did take my kit for inseption and also took mesurements were i had crashed.

They were happy with the distance from the promenade and no action was taken. :|

Hi All

This was me who crashed on cleethorpes beech. I was flying low along the waters edge but if you no cleethorpes beech the the sea retreats well out at low tide. I was flying into wind and not getting anywere fast so did a sharpe turn down wind and you can guest what happen next I got asymmetric collapse. Being only 50-60 feet high wing never recovered. I think i got away with it only breaking my ankle. I am on the mend with pins and plates now in the ankle but hope to be walking within the next 3-4 weeks. As for the CAA they did take my kit for inseption and also took mesurements were i had crashed.

They were happy with the distance from the promenade and no action was taken. :|

Good to hear you are fine I fly the other side of the Humber regularly I will post this on our forum (Parafly) and let the locals know cheers Alan.

Hi S1bull

Yes got all my equipment back after a week the frame is beyond repair but engine if fine. I have only been flying 18 months so not a lot of experience. Don't think it has put me of but time will tell when I am fit enough to try. I would love to no why the wind did collapse but I assume they could be loads of reasons. Anyone no of a good frame the mostor 185 motor would fit last one was EC extreme fancy something different.

Now you have my curiosity. I don’t think a collapse is normal in a quick high wind turn.

Was the wind coming in from the sea? How many kns/mph was it? How sharp was the turn really? Do you remember what your hands where doing on the brakes at the time? What was your trim? Wing type? What’s your wing loading?

I was out just on Sunday in 10kns and I did many steep turns. I like turning fairly hard picking up speed then catching the uplift when reentering the direct wind. However when doing this you need to let the wing catch up with the wind speed and weight shift etc.

But a collapse during this in stable air…. I have a hard time understanding how this happen.

Anyone else?

Hi S1bull

Yes got all my equipment back after a week the frame is beyond repair but engine if fine. I have only been flying 18 months so not a lot of experience. Don't think it has put me of but time will tell when I am fit enough to try. I would love to no why the wind did collapse but I assume they could be loads of reasons. Anyone no of a good frame the mostor 185 motor would fit last one was EC extreme fancy something different.

Hi there,

glad to hear the first hand version of the story and that you are more or less ok.

I'm still wondering about the collapse though, was your sharp turn to the left or right? Were you applying power?

I can only think that the wing went into a unintentional negative spin for a combination of lots of break + turning against motor torque + applying power or something like that.

Fast recovery!

it is sometimes easy to get caught out, tonight myself and Matt K were over canewdon, windsock was looking like it was around 5 mph, forward launch off I went, I had done some adjustments to my carb and was going to have a quick blatt around the field to test it out.

good forward speed climbing to around 60ft into wind, turned around and all of a sudden it was like I had lit the afterburners, shot across the field at a hell of a rate, and I dont mean fast, I mean fecking fast, required a good dose of throttle and a bit of brake to sort things out, did another circuit and was getting thrown all over the place, so came around and landed in a very short distance, now i fly a Nuc and this has a great glide so was expecting a bit more time to getting ready to touch down, but it came down like my old Revo 2.

All the indications told us it was fairly docile, but once I got up there it proved to be anything but :shock:

The wind speed was about 10-12 knots with trims out less than half way on a Nuc. The wind direction was more off the land than sea. Were I crashed the nearest building was 422 meters (that info came from the CAA) I was not to hard on the brakes in the turn turning to my right. On the camera you see the left hand side of the wind fold in and then you hear me power up to gain height do you think it would of been better if I had stayed of the power as I can't remember it going into a spin.

Thanks for all your advice and best wishes and hope this has not put me off.

The wind speed was about 10-12 knots with trims out less than half way on a Nuc. The wind direction was more off the land than sea. Were I crashed the nearest building was 422 meters (that info came from the CAA) I was not to hard on the brakes in the turn turning to my right. On the camera you see the left hand side of the wind fold in and then you hear me power up to gain height do you think it would of been better if I had stayed of the power as I can't remember it going into a spin.

Thanks for all your advice and best wishes and hope this has not put me off.

You had a camera with you? I think it would be useful to us all to see the footage and try to understand what happened. Do you mind sharing it?

The wind speed was about 10-12 knots with trims out less than half way on a Nuc. The wind direction was more off the land than sea. .

Probably not relevant to the accident- but the first 'alarm bell' rings for me here... Off shore winds, especially of such magnitude I would not fly a coastal location...

I cant tell you wether a broken ankle hurts, Si. Never broken one, but will give you odds of 10 to 1 that it does. And I'd describe a person with a broken ankle as being injured.

On the second point. I can only tell you what I have learnt about procedure. Your students should be up on this stuff too. I wouldn't know (or like to predict) wether the police (or other authorities) will follow it to the letter though