Well I went a nd booked a lesson then!

lib

Hello there folks,

I have my first paragliding lesson tomorrow! (Yay!)

I decided to take an EP course. As I said in another thread, I want to paramotor so I wasn't sure if I should just skip straight to that. I ended up choosing to start with a paragliding course because it seems that some clubs insist on club pilot to use their launch sites. Besides I want to have the certificate that says I know what I need to know to be safe. (My wife was rather keen for me to have that too!) So I plan to do a CP course after then come and train for PPC1 with you folks.

I think it would be really good if we could do the individual steps EP, CP and PPC1 with you. Is this something that you are thinking of?

Paul

Hello there folks,

I decided to take an EP course. As I said in another thread, I want to paramotor so I wasn't sure if I should just skip straight to that. I ended up choosing to start with a paragliding course because it seems that some clubs insist on club pilot to use their launch sites. Besides I want to have the certificate that says I know what I need to know to be safe. (My wife was rather keen for me to have that too!) So I plan to do a CP course after then come and train for PPC1 with you folks.

I think it would be really good if we could do the individual steps EP, CP and PPC1 with you. Is this something that you are thinking of?

Paul

Only BHPA sites and there are plenty of other sites around.( I have never been asked for mine)

Where are you based?

Hello there folks,

Paul

Good luck mate, for me the beauty of paramotoring is the freedom from bureaucracy and the ability to just turn up at a field and fly. The PMC course offers a similar structured approach to the one you mentioned but it's not mandatory.

Good luck Paul, enjoy your paragliding. PG and PPG tend not to live that well together on the flying field as the noise we generate pees off the PG guys. They feel it threatens their established sites and I'm inclined to agree and sympathise with them. They should make you really welcome!

Wrong choice Paul IMHO. If paramotoring is the ultimate aim go on a paramotoring course. If you do want to do both PG and PPG then OK, once trained your PG skills will be set for both disciplines.

You do not have to be an experienced paraglider to take up paramotoring. A paramotoring course ensures that you understand a wings performance and can control it before you are even introduced to the motor.

.......... because it seems that some clubs insist on club pilot to use their launch sites. Besides I want to have the certificate that says I know what I need to know to be safe.

Paul

If you are wishing to use club sites that insist on club pilot rating this implies to me that these will be PG hill sites and as Norman has said PPG does not necessarily sit comfortably on PG sites.

One of the real beauties of PPG is that flight is from level ground.

As far as the safety is concerned a certificate is not going to make you safe, good training and common sense is all that is required. You will know when you feel confortable with the particular stages of your training, it is no detriment to put off the next step until you yourself are ready. In fact it is encouraged to build your confidence gradually as confidence is one of the essential ingredients to becoming airbourne.

I do hope you get to fly PPG Paul as it is the best sport ever.

Good luck,

Alan

Hi.

Does a flex wing microlite pilot learn to hanglide first? No because although the met' the flight theory etc are the same, the skills (muscle memory) are very different. I found that out the hard way!!! :oops: . Paragliding and powered paragliding are also different disciplines.

I have been made most UN WELCOME by my local BHPA club since starting PPG. This is despite being a member of the local club and the BHPA for nearly 20 years (hangliding) (both lapsed recently).

I was once asked to leave the site when practicing ground handling and was very recently told I couldn't use / land in their field unless I was a BHPA member regardless of my own insurance. Do it their way or the highway!!

That narrow minded attitude is very damaging to the sport of PPG and they wonder why people are looking beyond the BHPA.

At the last PPG fly in, I and a number of others took time to introduce a complete stranger to the kit and had him ground handling by the end of the day. Not for financial gain, but for the sharing of knowledge and interest with a like minded soul who showed a fascination for this great sport. If he chooses BHPA or PMC route the choice is his and it is great to have a choice. Whatever route he chooses he will always be welcome at a PMC field / fly in. THATS THE DIFFERENCE!!!!

And they wonder why PPG ers have branched away from BHPA forming the PMC !!!!!

Whitters. :wingover:

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the advice folks.

I spent two days in Derbyshire playing with a wing. Got off the ground, quite high a few times.

I think it would be good to be able to do both. I am more interested in paramotoring but I will need some time to save up the extra funds for the kit. It seems a lot more expensive. I would like to get going quite quickly so I thought of getting a £1500 second hand glider to practice with until I have the 4-5k that I would need to get a paramotor. A least that way I can get started now.

I have paid up for the EP course and I might do that and then consider moving straight onto PPG.

Bignos - no I am not from Wolston, I am from Kenilworth. I would actually find meeting up for a chat quite useful if that is OK?

Paul

I fly both with and without a motor. IMO you have made a mistake. You came and posted on this forum because you crave the freedom of power most, the idea of free flight is just an added benefit, right? You'll spend the winter getting frustrated because the wind will be too strong/too light/too easterly/too northerly/too westerly/too southerly for your lack of experience and then you'll realise that if you had just gone for the motor from the start you could have been flying throughout the whole period.

• Upvote 1

Well it wouldn't be the first time that I have made a mistake ;-)

Still I will have finished it in another 3 days and be ready to decide what step to take next. I am thinking that going straight from the EP to the paramotor course will probably be the next logical step. I'll have a chat with bignos and play things by ear as the time nears (which, weather depending should hopefully be quite soon).

Thanks,

Paul

Well it wouldn't be the first time that I have made a mistake ;-)

Still I will have finished it in another 3 days and be ready to decide what step to take next. I am thinking that going straight from the EP to the paramotor course will probably be the next logical step. I'll have a chat with bignos and play things by ear as the time nears (which, weather depending should hopefully be quite soon).

Thanks,

Paul

Paul whatever route you take, I wish you good luck and safe flying. :D

Dave

• 6 years later...
On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2009 at 18:37, lib said:

Hello there folks,

Paul

Ah ha, Found your route

No need for EP and CP with the Paramotorclub syllabus, you just do paramotoring. If that's what you want skip the EP and CP.

I didn't have or do any paragliding training before learning to paramotor and didn't miss a thing.

I believe you get a certificate with the PPC1 course, having been with the PMC throughout the syllabus development I can attest to it's quality and fit for purpose standing.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

unfortunately you did miss a thing, do you know how to get out of a asymmetric tuck? how about a big ears? what happens if you get a full stall? all these things do matter, so do the full course up to club pilot. talking from experience