Landing - to switch off or not to switch off...

After sorting my landings on the PG wing with a motor, I had a couple shit landings on the new Revo (nothing too dire). One thing that happened both times was I would keep banking left slightly coming in. Nothing to do with wind (nil wind, and I was dead on). So I thought it was a torque thing cos I kill the engine just before landing and thought a deaccelerating prop my give some sort of weird torque effect.

This morning I had a mini eureka moment in the shower :wink: ...the whole chassis and harness is set up for bias weight shift to the left no? So, by killing the motor I'm giving myself weightshift to the left??? Correct or no?

What do you do, kill your engine or not at all. I'm going to try both next time - but when killing I'm going to do it much earlier so I can prep for a little weight shift right....I reckon that I may start to keep tick over on and kill once feet hit the ground..

Any suggestions?

Hi David

Didn't realize you lived so close. My last unit had fuel tank and reserve pushed to the left to counter torque. I also had a slight left turn when coming in to land. Straighten it out by using weightshift if you can, then you'll have all your braking left for the flare

Re. engine running / or not for landing.....Once you know for sure that you are on target to hit your desired landing spot, I believe most pilots killl their motor. You would only really need to leave it running if you intended performing a power landing

Dave

Great stuff everyone and dave, yup good points. I have a parajet volution2 macro and the chassis is defo biased for torque.

Ill switch off and just use weght shift coming in.

Dave we have a new club in the area, we have a website but our communication is via a yahoo group. We have arranged a first meet and fly in on 25th november. I have managed to secure a number of launch sites..to be discussed!

Could you pm me your email address and we can invite you to the group. Its quite quiet on there at the mo but hopefully with time and effort :mrgreen: ?

David

Have you adjusted the trimmers at all (are they the same both sides?), they can be a bit of a faff until you get used to them (and even then still a faff).

Oh yes..had it on slow to just above neutral and back again. Actually they adjusted very smoothly no probs at all - both at the same point. Alot of strapping flapping about but all good.

Sounds like Paramania have improved the trimmers at last.

Smooth they were not - it takes ages pulling them in using one hand on mine, it's quicker to use both hands on each side to get them back in. Only takes a few seconds per side but "bad design" screams at me every time I use them.

Stevie

with all my other wings (some with mylar one with just nylon rods) I fold pack loosely and keep in stuff bags putting no pressure on the leading edge. I have done the same with the revo but it does have much more reinforcement in the intakes - both nylon rods and mylar strips - should I really concertina it? I find concertina a real phaff and dont think it necessary on my smaller wings or a wing with rods onl;y - but this wing may be different what you reckon?

I always take great care with the leading edge.

My method it to open out the Revo bag into its stuff sack mode (with the rucksack bits 'inside it'). Make a rose with the wing as usual and put it on the laid out bag but I keep a finger between the A lines and the rest of them as you pull it all in. When you have a good rose pull the A lines tight and it pulls the leading edge openings nicely together. You can pull the bag around the wing and pull the drawstring. The leading edge is all together and on the top nice and safe. When I get home I take the pressure off the drawstring so it is looser in the bag. This is also a lot quicker than folding it.

Dave I've noticed exactly the same thing!

After training with a Polini and then buying a Volution and flying a Revo2 I'm sure I can detect a slight turn to the left in the glide having been frustrated with a few duff landings turing that way.

Obviously all good advice above and I'll be trying to weight shift a bit rather than just use brake to keep straight.

Engine off for me every time with an expensive and scary spinny thing behind my legs/head!

Ad

I was taught to switch off well in advance of landing.

Doing so removes the risks of lines, wing and/or pilot becoming involved with the rotating prop and allows the exhaust to cool, removing the risk of burns to the same potential victims.

There is an argument for keeping the motor running to allow for a go-around if the landing doesn't look good.

It is my opinion that the pilot should have checked out the landing conditions sufficiently in advance that this is not necessary. Free flyers have to do this every time.

Pete.

Pete I'm still very new at this and everything I've read and seen supports what you have said. However after doing it, it seems to me that switching off early is better for the more experienced pilot. The reason I say this is on approach I'm dealing with quite alot, getting lined up judging where I will touch down, preparing for flare etc. so far I've only managed this once at first try without being talked down, more often it's a case of no I'm not quite happy with this so Ive gone around using the first attempt at landing to build half the knowledge so on second attempt I already know the approach etc and just have to commit.

Right now I don't think I have the confidence to kill the engine far out and trust my judgement, this is currently something I'm working on because if I have an engine out I only get one pass!

So for me it feels more comfortable to come in on tick over and kill it late one then flare.

Cheers lee.

Lee, I'm hardly an experienced pilot :) (see Pete's Progress in training blogs)

I had the benefit of learning to fly from the winch and land without the motor. When I first had to land with a motor, I was already familiar with the concepts of wing control, flareing etc. so I only need to get used to the extra weight.

Stick with what your instructor is telling you. When you can do it without worrying, then you can start to think about refinements such as torque compensation.

Pete.

• 2 months later...

Hi davidreckitt

I now have exactly the same problem with a revo2 and parajet zenith, it banks to the left on landing. I kill my engine when I flare.

Were you able to solve the problem? I know they said you should use weightshift , but it is not that easy when hanging from the leg straps.

Does it turn with full thrust??

You may be able to offset on of the hang points to correct this. I get no change from engine on full thrust or while coming into land on the Bailey V5. Just make sure the chassis and harness is set up correctly...

Regards

Mark

Guys,

ANY Paramotor that is 'offset' to counter torque effect will (weight shift) to the opposite side when the engine is off for landing.

Think about it ;-)

The Answer,

Two simple solutions, (most people do without even knowing it)

Assuming Left had turn while no power

A) Turn slightly further right before the final flair

B) Flair slightly asymmetrically to the right on landing (pull slightly 'further' NOT faster.. on the Right hand brake for the last few feet)

As I say, most people will do / be doing this without even realising it. I know I was for years!

SW :D

To clarify,

One question already, BUT NO QUESTION IS A SILLY QUESTION IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER!

Q, What if it's the other way around?

A,

The Answer,

Two simple solutions, (most people do without even knowing it)

Assuming Right had turn while no power

A) Turn slightly further Left before the final flair

B) Flair slightly asymmetrically to the Left on landing (pull slightly 'further' NOT faster.. on the Left hand brake for the last few feet)

SW :D

Always switch engine off, earlier the better, unless u want to touch and go,

Land slightly faster than normal so u need a steadier flare, and as u'r

flaring u will get a feel of which toggle u need to staighten up the landing

before the deep stall for landing. (years of skydiving)

Hi davidreckitt

I now have exactly the same problem with a revo2 and parajet zenith, it banks to the left on landing. I kill my engine when I flare.

Were you able to solve the problem? I know they said you should use weightshift , but it is not that easy when hanging from the leg straps.

All that is needed is a little more right brake to keep it straight