Landing - to switch off or not to switch off...

I cant think of any reason to land with my engine on. It just asks for trouble!

Once set up for the landing I kill my engine at about 100ft usually.

I read somewhere above that someone kills the engine as the flare but when I kill my engine the wing has a slight surge forward which at 100ft is fine but in the flare would use up valuable energy which can otherwise be used to soften my landing.

I've learned this lesson before on a badly set up landing where I cut too late and landed fast on my arse!

Each to their own I suppose, but I have never broken anything whilst landing.

Taking off however ........ :shock:

dont leave it too late to kill your engine, I left it to the last 50ft on an XC once and due to cold hands missed the kill switch, with the ground hurtling up towards me I pulled brake only to inadvertidly pull the throttle too, it got messy, the end result was a broken prop and torn netting.

lesson learned.

Agree with the above- I always kill my engine from at least 100ft. Especially when wearing gloves, it can take some fumbling to find the kill switch, and you need to keep this pressed for a few seconds to be sure the motor has died.

I often kill the motor much higher and enjoy free flying down. If you do this when over your landing field, you can always do some 'S' turns to lose some height if you need to. Plus it's good practise in the event of an engine failure, and minimises noise for anyone nearby.

HTH

Bests

Carl

Seems like most are more comfortable with killing their motor at height (eg. 100ft) That's probably best for most, but I can say with some confidence (even after wrapping a line in a prop and bending a cage) that there is a lot to be gained by learning power landings. If not only for the fun of it. It can turn a potentially shitty landing into a good one, if the energy in the wing, alone, is not enough, one can add a little more energy, with the addition of power from the paramotor, if required or desired. If you don't know how to, or let others talk you out of learning the technique, you might never realize the benefits. Having said that, it's not mandatory.

Dave

Seems like most are more comfortable with killing their motor at height (eg. 100ft) That's probably best for most, but I can say with some confidence (even after wrapping a line in a prop and bending a cage) that there is a lot to be gained by learning power landings. If not only for the fun of it. It can turn a potentially shitty landing into a good one, if the energy in the wing, alone, is not enough, one can add a little more energy, with the addition of power from the paramotor, if required or desired. If you don't know how to, or let others talk you out of learning the technique, you might never realize the benefits. Having said that, it's not mandatory.

Dave

Learn to land where you want to power off first then you can get in to powered landings.

The most important thing is to know you can land exactly where you want even in a very tight space because one day or another you will need to do it, YOUR engine will stop when you least expect it

I think its partially important what unit you have:with clutch or without ,misjudging landing target by cross wind or different unexpected trouble, and you have landing with dead engine too early for example in hedge or trees

I kill the engine only when I want to land, my legs touch the ground

just sample landing with engine off look please at 5:40 this film ,he had a chance to reach landing field,but wind make surprise http://tinyurl.com/a9nod6m its too late to start engine again ,and land in very rough bumps