Thule Easybase - any feedback?

paul_grover

Hello - I've got a Thule Easybase and wonder if anyone out there is using one to transport a paramotor? It's great for camping stuff but that didn't cost the same as my new motor - just a little concerned about whether the connection to the tow bar is up to the job.

Any advice gratefully received...

Paul

Personally i would not place my motor outside of the car. A friend of mine used to have a rack he placed his motor on and it started to bend the frame and covers it in road debris. (he did leave it full assembled) so not to bad if you just have the chassis on the easy base....

I haven't used one personally but I'm looking into options for carrying my motor. My main criteria is that the motor stays built up as it takes me ages to set up & I can't be arsed faffing around assembling/taking it apart all the time. Security is my other concern.

I've spoken to as many pilots as possible & have made my decision based on their input.

I'm about to have an old trailer converted into a box trailer as this seems to me to be the best compromise - I'm sure others will not like the idea.

A van would be easier but I like all the toys in my car & the economy is good too. Also had to laugh in the face of the van salesman when I heard what he was prepared to offer me for my car!

There is another option if your fed up with setting up your motor every time because it takes you so long to do......

Buy a motor that takes minutes to set up........ No need for me say who i would recommend!!!!!! Start to finish in 3 minutes if that.... 5 including getting it out of the car !!! :lol::dive: not including pre flight checks.

It only takes a minute or two to steal a trailer and it will have ALL of your kit in it!!!!!!

you know it make sense phill..... :wink:

I use a Bak-Rak, which is similar, and I absolutely love it.

Upsides:

1) My paramotor stays whole. (less wear and tear, but more tempting to slack on preflight checks)

2) No stink of fuel in the car.

3) It's a great platform to strap on the paramotor (no more muddy knees) or to work on it.

4) Transferable to any car with a tow hook, can be converted to carry...well, almost anything (bikes, luggage, garden box can be attached etc).

5) Most importantly for me, is that it's fast and easy.

Downsides:

1) I live in a hot country and don't suffer from road grime. Would not drive on wet roads with it.

2) Security - I use a u-lock to secure the base of the frame to the rack. However, it only needs a spanner and a dodgy criminal mind to completely remove the rack from the tow bar.

3) I constantly get people up my arse trying to get a closer look at the weird looking contraption hanging off the back of my car. You can see the man explaining to the woman that it's one of those fan things that nutters wear to try and fly.

4) In the unlikely event of the paramotor falling off.....well, it doesn't bear thinking about.

Hope this helps :)

Dan

Thanks all... ok so I should come clean and say I have a mini (so the motor's not really going in the back) :)

I'm not so worried about the motor falling off the rack - that'll be down to me securing it properly - more about the system itself - seems like a big cantilever to me: have there ever been cases of the rack falling off the tow bar?

I was fine until the Bailey was finally sat in my garage - now I'm feeling rather more maternal!!

Feel I'm being drawn towards a small trailer at the moment. If I did, is it ok to lay the motor face down rather than carrying it vertically (can't think of any but guess that's what this forum's about).

Questions questions - thanks in advance

pg

Wish I could have a 4 stroke but the ear bending I would get from the wife would be unbearable.

Ref security of the trailer I have a motorcycle chain lock, a lock that secures the trailer to the towbar, a wheel lock, a shed alarm for inside the trailer & 2 large dogs. Also planning to lock the motor onto the trailer

If anyone gets round that they deserve a paramotor!

In addition any DIY I do usually looks like it was done with explosives so no one would think there was anything worth stealing.

My motor will be going in upright as the prop sticks out the back & I don't like the idea of fuel spilling out.

Hi Paul

I use a Bak-Rak to save the smell of petrol in the car and not having to take it apart (it is a bit bent and not so easy to assemble and dismantle as it used to be).

I made a plywood base for it that fits perfectly into the rack with battens screwed on to hold the paramotor base stable.

I can fit the rack very quickly and always jump on the back of the rack before pulling away as I am also not sure how it works either but it is very solid.

Eddie

Hello - I've got a Thule Easybase and wonder if anyone out there is using one to transport a paramotor? It's great for camping stuff but that didn't cost the same as my new motor - just a little concerned about whether the connection to the tow bar is up to the job.

Any advice gratefully received...

Paul

I use a Thule Easy Base, the model that is can carry up to 60Kg, I was a bit concerned that the clamp on to the tow hook may not be up to the job, but it has proofed to be very good and easily strong enough

Thanks Paul

I guess that if they didn't work, by now I would have heard all manner of horror stories about racks and motors falling off on motorways...

If I do use it I think I'll take the cage and prop off and just carry the chassis (covered for weather protection). How do you secure yours to the easybase? I was thinking of kayak straps but open to any better suggestions. I like the idea of carrying it upright but guess the problem is the high centre of gravity and making sure it can't move.

pg

• 5 weeks later...

I am in the process of starting my Paramotor carrying trailer, for which I'll probably start a new thread (with a few photo's & build description).

Prior to that though I need a bit of advice from someone with more engineering knowledge than me.

The frame is Galvanised steel with decent suspension onto which I plan to build the box. I'm looking at something around 1.5m long, 1m wide & 1.5m high - The Bulldog cage is 1.4m.

So my questions:

1. Anyone after a few beer tokens to make the frame or knows of anyone good in the Guildford area who can do this?

2. What's the best strength vs price cladding? I'm looking at ply or possibly ACM panels if I can get any for a decent price.

Would prefer something (frame & cladding) that I don't have to fanny about painting every 5 minutes to keep it looking decent.

Any thoughts would be appreciated at this point before I finalise my plans.

Steve

My fault, I didn't make it all that clear. I have the chassis which is small, light galvanised steel with decent suspension. Built by zee Germans so I imagine it will be spot on. This is the base on which I intend to build the box body. It's the building of the box that I need help with.

I agree , You need good suspension on a trailer if you plan to mount and transport the motor in it...

I use a FRANC trailer i got off t'bay and everything does get shaken about a bit... All my tools in the tool box require taking out and fixing every couple of months :shock:

I'm lucky that my motor (Bailey) fits in my boot (A4) with the cage and tank removed. A quick release prop would be nice, but not vital. Wing goes on the back seat and all the rest goes in the trailer. The advantage of this is I can just unhook the trailer and wheel it in the garage at the end of the day and I know where everything is ... usually... :mrgreen:

I wish I never sold my Vito though!! :?

Rich

This is all interesting stuff, as I plan to use my Triumph Spitfire to carry a paramotor and wing. To this end, I obtained a substantial boot rack and tested it by driving to work and back for a week with 40kg of workshop detritus strapped to it. Nothing fell off, but it doesn't help the Spitfires already dubious handling characteristics!

For Tricky's rattly trailer syndrome, here's a lesson from riding old bikes:

Tools will rattle - wrap them in an old shirt or other rag. After a few hundred miles,, you will have shiny, clean tools and a box of rag dust. Empty out the dust an substitute a new rag.

Pete.

I use a tow bar rack not sure what make it is but it works fine its a little un=nerving having it suspended out there but ive done 200 miles traveling at 80mph no problem ive also used a small trailer but find it get bumped all over theplace and my motor was starting to show signs of the bumping so the tow bar rack it is and very good it is to