After the wind drops

matt_k

That's interesting.

I've taken a look at tomorrow's chart. East anglia has a line of strong thermals at the coast. I guess this must be the cooler sea air being forced aloft as it meets the warm land mass?

The times given are 1230 (midday). Is there any indication of how the thermals drop during the day - specifically the last 3 hours?

Ah - Just noticed the time bar on the right. Very useful. All goes a nice shade of blue during the last 3 hours.

Steve

That's interesting.

I've taken a look at tomorrow's chart. East anglia has a line of strong thermals at the coast. I guess this must be the cooler sea air being forced aloft as it meets the warm land mass?.

Steve

you v'e got the right idea, but it's the other way around, it it the the warmer land air that gets pushed up as the colder sea air wedges under it

Paul D

• 4 months later...

Hi Matt

Stop worrying about GIRLY!! swirly air and get your arse up there ......

Have a looking at this web site it will give you a better understanding of what the air is doing. It will tell you if its going to thermic +how thermic windy how windy, cloud base Infact there is too much info to take in unless your micheal fish...

http://rasp.inn.leedsmet.ac.uk/RASPtable.html

I normaly just use thermal updraft velocity/ht of critical updraft strength Ave wind 2m wind and cu cloud base.

Dont bother going into the soundings unless you have a phd :D