New headset

matt_k

Hi

I have a set of peltor headsets fitted to my icaro helmet. The helmet is great light/comfy but i do find the peltor headsets let in to much noise for my liking and its not like i use loudest of machines. I have not tried micro avionics so cant compare but i do want to try them.

Avoid headsets with built in rechargeable batteries. They will let you down when you least expect it. To be able to change the battery in the field is a much better option IMO.

Kev

A good point......But the rechargeable batteries in the Micro Avionics headsets are brilliant and seem to last forever!! I remember Simon pulling a MA headset out of the back of his trailer that had been used on the Skycar trip a year earlier, and hadn't been touched since....It still had charge in the batteries!! Most 2M radio's have rechargeable batteries - just remember to charge the headset at the same time.. :)

Neil.. :D

Ive had Micro Avionics for about 5 years and it is great. It has rechargable batteries which seem to last for ages. I listen to my ipod and carry/use VHF transeiver every flight. About once a month I re-charge it over night, occasionally i leave it switched on with my ipod playing to run it down before re-charging over night. Ive never had any problems.

I use the traditional head band with the helmet over the top which works well despite the Icaro helmet not being designed for that. I don't like the permanant fixture type because they do not clamp to my head tight enough to keep out the noise, and I use 2 types of helmet depending how cold it is which allows me to change without fuss.

Micro avionics can set up the leads for lots of combinations attaching 3 items at one time. Often I use 2m VHF and Ipod in flight as on the tip to tip. You can even get a lead for your phone for in flight use. What more do you want. Also its toug/ rugged as you can tell when you pick one up.

I agree with Pete, if you are hetting a headset you may as well get the best. I also have a Peltor but I never use it, it only works with 2m which i don't use very often.

Regards.

Have used the Micro Avionics headset. I found that listening to music with the volume cranked up uses up the battery life rather quickly. The headset is decent enough , the weak point for me being the soldered in re-chargeables. I would prefer them to be removeable.

If you have power out (on your motor) or a small 12v battery just plug the charging lead in and you can use them