Transporting your Paramotor - the trailer option?

dmh

Nearly getting to that day when feet will leave the ground so thinking ahead..... At the moment I have to dismantle my MAcro to take it to the training ground, cage, props etc for it to fit into my Landy.

So I am thinking.... do I get a rack to go on the back? I have seen threads on here proposing various models but they will struggle to fit on the rear of my Landrover Defender with the tyre overhang.

So I am now thinking, maybe get a box trailer off ebay (c £500) and fit it out to hold the macro made up, my wing, windsock etc etc. It will be protected from the elements, from prying eyes and can remain all made up ready to fly....

Has anyone done this? Any recommendations or ideas?!http://www.paramotorclub.org/forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=1#

Cheers

MArk

£500 is a big lump of money just to save a few mins clipping a cage together and bolting a prop on. My motor travels in the boot and does not take long to assemble at the flying field, even the reserve only takes a couple of mins to strap on. One bonus of putting it together each time is you are able to give it a nice pre-flight check (and post-flight) wheras if you dump it back in the trailer it would be too easy to overlook a loose bolt or cracked mount. All that aside, I do like the idea of storing it whole in a trailer, just attaching it to the towbar whenever you need a fly knowing it's all there ready to go.

Seems a shame that a relativley big vehicle such as a Landrover cant accomodate a paramotor..... Taking the cage off is accepable, i guess.... but be careful if you need to remove the prop every time. Are you aware that the nylock nuts should be replaced after approx 4 cycles??? some people only use them once.... Used to have a LR Discovery too.... same problem, big vehicle, no room inside. Moved to a Renault Kangoo Trekka, and buckets of room inside- H&E R120/99 can fit inside without folding the rear seats!!!!

I have a disco (well 2 in fact with the new 4L V8i Petrol)

I also have a 9ft box trailer (for sale!, min £650 though)

The box trailer is great, i had it fitted with a full size single mattress, 240 inverter with leisure battery, heater, extractor fan, sink, and water tank... and it works perfectly for fly-ins and so on, no tent required, park up and fly.

I never leave kit in it over night, although I am sure it would be fine. There are alarms and locks you can get (its no different than leaving a motorbike outside your house)

SW :D

That said,

I regularly have a compact (cage fitted) a Macro (cage removed) 4 wings, a petrol can, 4 harnesses, a load of helmets, radios and so on..

And I still have my seats up!

If you cant fit a paramotor and a wing into a disco you have a problem!!

if your macro has the 3 blade prop...perhaps consider changing to a 2 blade...you should slide that in alot better without removing the prop, then only have to remove the cage..

you would need a different reduction drive tho....still cheaper than a trailer.

Useful stuff, I didn't realise that nylocks were only supposed to be used 4 times...... I am currently removing my prop every time:-(

Take the point re pre flight checks but I would do that anyway, just putting less stress on the whole rig if it's permanently made up I guess. It is a bit daft that it won't fit into a landy but it doesn't and I need the landy for work so no change there

Can you PM me some pix of the trailer Simon? Also dimensions internally and externally and any other spec you have, age/make etc

It may be the answer! (after a bit of haggling....)

Cheers!

mk

So how many of you would be interested in a quick release system for your prop ie undo one nut or pull a pin out to remove the whole prop.

me too!!!...very interested

pete...if you do come up with something....and im pretty sure that the logistics of design would mean that you would do this anyway....

but think about including some sort of spacing backplate to fit on the reduction drive...this would move the prop away from the starter and exhaust a bit and save some people using those rubber mounty things. ( technical term )

keep us posted!

So how many of you would be interested in a quick release system for your prop ie undo one nut or pull a pin out to remove the whole prop.

On the H&E machines- id prefer to remove the 'combined gearbox and prop' unit as opposed to removing the prop. It's 3 bolts versus 4, and generally the gearbox nuts are under a lot less pressure than the prop.

GD

Useful stuff, I didn't realise that nylocks were only supposed to be used 4 times...... I am currently removing my prop every time:-(

Take the point re pre flight checks but I would do that anyway, just putting less stress on the whole rig if it's permanently made up I guess. It is a bit daft that it won't fit into a landy but it doesn't and I need the landy for work so no change there

Can you PM me some pix of the trailer Simon? Also dimensions internally and externally and any other spec you have, age/make etc

It may be the answer! (after a bit of haggling....)

Cheers!

mk

Never seen any type of nylock nut on a Macro prop ?..........

Mine has the standard round ally plate, 3" allen key bolts with flat and spring washers.........

Out of the factory they should be as per Neil C's description.

If you have a Parajet (and studs) as apposed to holes for bolts to go into... that would be very strange and NON standard.

Nylock nuts are not ideal for props if they are removed after each flight.

Send some pics in....

Nearly getting to that day when feet will leave the ground so thinking ahead..... At the moment I have to dismantle my MAcro to take it to the training ground, cage, props etc for it to fit into my Landy.

Hi Mark, the Thule backrack has a removable 'A' frame almost directly above the tow ball, which you would normally use for support and anchorage. On my Ford Maverick (Nissan Terrano) all I did was dispensed with the 'A' frame and used a ratchet strap round the spare wheel, plus another to the trailing edge of the rack. If you're lucky, you won't even need to pad the spare, as the tyre makes a brill shock mounting for the motor.

Not sure, but I think the Thule is larger in the fore aft direction than the other well praised brand on here, so plenty of space to work with. If you'd like, I'll do some measuring tomorrow. and could perhaps do a pic or two.

Phil

Phil

Phil

Unfortunately it's the result of NO medication! Been off all my pain killers since Monday trying to get this damned monkey off my back (over 3 years of opiates).

Almost total insomnia at the mo, check out the times of some of my postings :-(

I've had the full spread of withdrawal symptoms including mild hallucinations, so I might have just been hearing an echo...echo...echo...

Last night it got VERY silly when I was considering cranking over my motor in a very crowded utility room (I didn't).

Well, if he knows where to get one, or wants to make some up himself, then put me down as interested...

Cheers

:dive:

Does the above emoticon remind anyone from the France trip of anything in particular?

Must not do 360s. Must not do 360s. Must not do 360s. Must not do 360s.

S Bends next time. S Bends next time. S Bends next time. S Bends next time.

........................ still doing my lines....