Staying Legal and ahead of the game - NOTAMS

norman

Guys,

I do not presume to lecture, this is information and a gentle reminder.

Down Brighton way during the Labour Party conference there is alleged to have been an airspace infringement by a paramotor(s). I am sure everyone is aware of their personal responsibilities as pilot in command when it comes to checking NOTAMS/AIS etc. It is within these communications from NATS and the CAA that we find the detail of temp airspace changes, Royal Flights, Air Displays and other aerial activities that we really need to know about.

Do the right thing, be diligent in your pre-flight preparations, avoid being followed by Mr Plod and his helicopter. The darkest outcome is best left to your imagination, an interview with the police could end up being expensive - it would certainly be embarrassing for yourself and potentially threatening to the sport when your incursion joins the statistics. :oops: It was certainly the latter by all acounts for the unfortunates on the above occasion.

INFORMATION? Sources of this information are many but the web is becoming the first stop shop for most of us.

http://shgc.org.uk/php/notams.php

This is an excellent facility.

20090929-edxen2t5iewwyw7pgigm1w82sw.jpg

The Southern Hang Gliding Club was formed in 1974 to acquire and protect flying sites for its members, and to preserve and encourage the pursuit of safe hang gliding in the south of England. Since those days, the club has embraced the emergence of paragliding within the foot-launch aviation community.

The club is entirely non profit making and run by a committee elected by the members. All revenue from membership and site fees is put back into the club to ensure the continued future of the club and free flight in Sussex.

20090929-dfcmfeq8jpf512jgg5dq7n1rcx.jpg

This system auto-extracts NOTAMS and AIS material direct from NATS, a grand effort!

Here is another.

Here is a link direct to NATS-AIS. This is primary and authoritative source for information of course.

Thanks Norman

I used this site today and seems to be very good all the info you would need. I have to say it was running a little slow on my lap top not sure if it was the site or just my lap top!!

I am a memeber of the shgc and didn't even know this was on there web site!! :roll:

:dive:

All,

No licence is required for this data, so we are working on having the same live notam system on this site. (it will appear as a tab and have its own page.

I also hope to make them RSS feedable which means that you can be 'told' when a Notam is effective in your area.

SW :D

All,

No licence is required for this data, so we are working on having the same live notam system on this site. (it will appear as a tab and have its own page.

I also hope to make them RSS feedable which means that you can be 'told' when a Notam is effective in your area.

This what I love about this site, If you want it or need it Its there

Can I briefly introduce myself as the author of the notams page.

Some history: I wrote most of the website for the Southern Hang Gliding Club, and wrote a notams map page (originally a static map), because no one ever looked at NOTAMS, because it was simply too difficult.

Having researched google maps, I thought I'd try to convert it to a google map, so that you could zoom in properly and see exactly where the restrictions were. Having done, that, it sort of grew out of hand; I couldn't stop myself, and the whole UK map was born.

The reason that you haven't seen the site before is that it wasn't ready until a couple of weeks ago.

It's a bit slow, because a) Our server is in Denver, USA, b) it uses a lot of javascript (try viewing the source!) and Google maps themselves use loads of javascript. So your computer is doing a lot of work, and so is Google their end. If it's too slow, try downloading the Google Chrome browser, which processes javascript much faster than any other browser.

It used to get the aerodrome info as well as Nav Warnings and restrictions, but I discovered that there are about 750 of these any given day for a weekly look-ahead, so I dropped them as irrelevant to our sport. If you want them back, you can pay me lots of beer tokens :D

At the moment, a routine runs every 6 hours (1am, 7am, 1pm, 7pm UK local time) and fetches the notam page, using the BHPA user name and password. I've no idea how often the AIS update the page for urgent stuff - anyone out there know? I'd think that if you looked at the 7am view, that you'd be covered. After all, AIS should be doing this job, not me.

If Simon W. knows how to get a RSS feed out of it, I'd like to know how!

I'm currently working on a few tweaks to make it simpler, and to put on some go-faster stripes. It should be ready in a few days.

PS you can regard the flying sites as 'paramotor avoidance zones' :twisted:

Regards,

Dave

Dave, Hi...

And thanks for joining!

What you have created it without doubt the best way to view Notam information. thanks very much for letting us use it.

Wh have our own AIS username and password already, and the google key thingy you mentioned.

Again Many thanks indeed for your efforts.

PS you can regard the flying sites as 'paramotor avoidance zones' ........

It is worth mentioning while on the subject, that this is actualy a seirous one...

the PG guys and girls spend a lot of time (as do us PPG lot) negotiating sites to use based on a set of factors...

One of the factors is normally, (Its a quiet sport)

If PPG pilots started to fly around PG sites, its clear what would happen.

I also think its just not polite PG pilots PG, because of the silence and the natural nature of the flying.

RE Brighton Incident

My friend knows the guy involved 'Bob', an experienced paramotor pilot who has been on TV (fifth gear test of the new scirocco) - Apparently the heli landed and had a chat about his paramotor, no further action to be taken. Ive pointed him in the direction of this thread

here is the incident in question:-

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hldNa26ziA[/youtubevideo]

I am a noobie to paramotoring as I am sure is painfully obvious, (in fact I haven't even been for my first session yet!) but looking at the map link with the NOTAMs on, three things confuse me,

1. Some regions do not seem to have any A-G classification according to the map. What's all that about?

2. Some regions overlap, such as the attached one, where I have highlighted an overlapping region. What does that mean then?

3. some areas seem to have a further border highlighted by a white line.

Hello it may be worth your while buying an airchart for your area, they can be bought from places such as transair pilot shop and are only around 15 pound, on the bottom of all charts is a legend wich explains what you are seeing, I bought one when I first started training and would pick it up when I had a bit of spare time and familiarise myself with its layout and content, this should be part of our "non flying" training as a matter of course, that way once you start your flying its one less thing to have to concentrate on :D

Thinking about maybe Simon can negotiate a discount on aircharts for new students :?:

Dave

Ref NOTAM mapping softwre from Dave.

The PMC web team have now got a copy of Daves Awesome code! Thanks to Dave for that!!!!

I am told they are making a few 'tweeks' to it before putting it on the site. Not sure what they are but hey ho.... I like 'tweeks'

Give them a few days to play and we should be good to go live.

1. Some regions do not seem to have any A-G classification according to the map. What's all that about?

2. Some regions overlap, such as the attached one, where I have highlighted an overlapping region. What does that mean then?

3. some areas seem to have a further border highlighted by a white line.

1. Open airspace is not labelled on the map. There is no class B airspace in the UK. The gliding wave windows are sort of Class C. Class E is all in Scotland, except for a bizarre bit in Tees-side, which is going very soon (23 Oct).

2) Higher airspace overlaps lower, and is usually larger. All the different sections have different lower/higher limits. They overlap on my map because I draw a polygon to define one airspace, then another on top to draw its next-door neighbour. I attempt to draw the lower airspace on top of the higher, so that the higher doesn't obscure the lower.

3) Red lines indicate that the airspace goes down to the surface, and is thus effectively off limits to us. Though I guess with a motor, you can go over it...

3) Red lines on airspace above the surface were due to a bug - now squashed...

Why not omit airspace above FL100, there isn't any point in displaying it? Come to that you could provide an option to drop everything above 5000'/FL50 as it would then co-ordinate with the quarter mill and few fly above 4000' anyway.

You haven't been paying attention, Norman :shock:

That's what the flight level drop down list does...