Value for money questionare.

I would expect to pay....(per head)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. I would expect to pay....(per head)

• Under £300
    • £300 - £400
    • £400 - £500
    • £500 - £600
    • £600 - £700
    • £700 - £800
    • £800 - £900

All,

Please consider this. I am just trying to get an idea....

Assuming you had the time off, and the wedge....

How much would you EXPECT to pay for a Paramotor / camping holiday that flew through France and ended up in Spain lasting around 7-10 days.?

To make it clear, I am not arranging this. But I may well be arranging something similar (but a little more exicting!) ;-)

Think Basic, Driving there by road, Camping sites arranged and paid for (kit carried by road) Driving back by road.

Forgot to mention, if you cant fly yet... lets pretend you can for this one :D

Please place your vote.

SW :D

I'm doing the Landy Rally next month around Europe for 9 days.

Only decided to do it last week. The cost is £760 for a vehicle and 2 people. The rally is an informal and fun competition with points to be collected each day with cash prizes and awards dinner at the end in Calais. None of the competitors know where they are going until each morning when they are given a map book with various tasks to do. The cost includes camping, route plans and map books, T-shirts!! etc etc.

I would definitely be up for a similar flying holiday.

Type Landy Rally in to google for some ideas.

OK, so here is the plan.

A race across France. Route to be looked at but it will be via check points and ending up on the Spanish border as a min.

It is a race that anyone can take part in, (min team 2) One pilot and one ground crew.

Entry would be somewhere around the £600 mark (which is what I was expecting) please dont let this change your vote decision....!!!

Although people involved would be paid (and the PMC may get some profit!) if we can attract enough people to this epic endurance race and a couple of small sponsors we can expect prize money of around £20,000 for the winning team.!!

So not only do you get a flying holiday in France, you could win and get £20,000!!

This is open to anyone and everyone! Non pilots can ground crew for a team.

The reason for this event in particular is to allow all pilots with basic navigational skills a real chance!

I have been letting this one slip out over the last few days and it seems we already have 4 teams who have said they would be well up for this. And I know of at least another 1 team for sure!

I would encorage EVERYONE to think about doing this and wait out for information on this forum.

I wanted to get the basic idea out now as the above post was getting close!

If you are interested enough in taking part to post here. Please do! It won't take many more teams to make it well worth a go and VERY good fun!

I am aiming to run this race early 2010 spring / summer. So even if you dont fly yet, you have the time to get in the air and get some hours in!

This idea has been eating away at me for ages so I am very happy to get it out in public! :D

So that's already 6 teams! (assuming you can find a driver)

Time to build a website and get cracking me thinks!

This is going to be brill! If you are not a PMC member you will still be made welcome to enter this event! I would love to see a team leamings or a team or two from the PPGUK forum.

Open to ALL means open to ALL that is the point of this idea.

Its interesting that you say that....

Because, as much as I hope he takes part, I dont think it would be in the bag for him.

Think of the many variables in a race like this.....

What size wing? what size tank? 4 hours kip or 6 hours kip? will your ground crew be on time with the petrol? are just a few. :D

Personal feeling is that it would be better to organise a non competitive holiday. While there may be some who relish the competition, there will be plenty others put off by it.

Dare I also say that competitions tend to bring out the very worst behaviour in people, and with a £20K carrot, the incentive to be less than scrupulous might well be there. Don't judge everyone by your personal standards, there are some real t**ts out there who would go a long way for that prize money, especially if they have had to front up a sizeable wedge of their own, just to be able to take part.

By having a relaxed and informal journey of like minded souls, it would still raise the profile and even have the potential to still attract sponsorship. Centralised recovery and help for flyers would reduce the required infrastructure, together with the number of ground crews, desperately trying to get from point x to point y in order to refuel their pilot.

That is all not to say that there couldn't be competitive elements, like nav and economy built in, and maybe even a planned day of stick kicking half way through.

Phil

There could be variations.

Stop at Airvault for the stick kicking element? Big barbie at the end of the day. Blast off in the morning?

Declared flight times (verified by GPS).

Navigation accuracy across a declared route, GPS again.

Least flight time.

There must be a way to remove the sting and lower the risk.

Reduce the prize money, maybe to the point where it pays for the winning teams trip, buys a wing and a crate of Champagne, and include an element of it for Help for Heroes?

20090811-f9uq6ug837twd5p1j5wkcxpikg.jpg

Just ideas in the 'ideas mill'!

Edited by Guest

Personal feeling is that it would be better to organise a non competitive holiday. While there may be some who relish the competition, there will be plenty others put off by it.

Dare I also say that competitions tend to bring out the very worst behaviour in people, and with a £20K carrot, the incentive to be less than scrupulous might well be there. Don't judge everyone by your personal standards, there are some real t**ts out there who would go a long way for that prize money, especially if they have had to front up a sizeable wedge of their own, just to be able to take part.

By having a relaxed and informal journey of like minded souls, it would still raise the profile and even have the potential to still attract sponsorship. Centralised recovery and help for flyers would reduce the required infrastructure, together with the number of ground crews, desperately trying to get from point x to point y in order to refuel their pilot.

That is all not to say that there couldn't be competitive elements, like nav and economy built in, and maybe even a planned day of stick kicking half way through.

Phil

I do see your point 100% but... thats why I started the thread how I did ;-)

Your F1 boys will be up and about at sunrise, the holiday 'type' may leave at 09:00 thus, already a decent gap between 'people types'

You only need to go fast if you want to win, I am sure there will be people there just 'taking part' in the adventure of it knowing they will not win. and it's the same cost (maybe slightly more I agree) as a flying holiday.

Maybe the 'race' element needs removing for safety's sake.

A pre-declared overall flight time by the competitor would do that. Each team could chose its launch times and enjoy the trip. Having a declared last time of landing at the final destination that is carefully considered would set a fair and safe pace?

Clearly the details need to be looked at in detail.

I am amazed at the response to this already! ( as an idea ) and feel 100% happy to go with the idea!

We could do,

1st 15k

2nd 4k

3rd 1k

Or something.

But I think a BIG decent chunk of winnings is vital to add buzz!

Sounds like a great idea whether competitive or not. I'd happily fly non-competitive just to fly with lots of other motors across a country.

Would there need to be any extra registration for flying in France? :?:

(dont they have numbers on their wings etc.?)

I think you are right.

With the 'race' element removed it would entice more pilots?

I am a 12 hour pilot and the thought of racing some how deters me? Especially as there will be more experienced pilots out there? Maybe I dont trust my navigation?

How difficult would it be?

There would of course be plenty of more experienced pilots relishing the challenge.

It does all sound exciting. Do all pilots flying in France require qualifications of sorts? Spain and Portugal at present require none as far as I recall?

Mike