Physics?

There’s probably some amazing physics at work here, but as a newbie still in training and yet to fly my Bailey V4, I can’t help wondering if the two pins holding the hang bars in the chassis and the mallions holding the carabiners (also on the hang bars and therefore the same pins) will be strong enough to take me and the motor!!

Everytime I go and look at it In the garage (which is often as I love it) the same thought crosses my mind 😱74DBB754-0E0E-4C01-ABA1-20735B97950D.thumb.jpeg.3a128404e0b97d3a1340d98c9d91b760.jpegB9259064-C473-40D8-94F2-A9CEF64E0470.thumb.jpeg.e26734c57e9ef5f90733145b16472837.jpeg

If they are stainless parts (?) they are incredibly strong.

If like me you are never going to do high 'g' manoeuvers then put it to the back of your mind. You could put a wire through the pin in the top picture to ensure it never comes unscrewed.

1 hour ago, AndyB said:

It is normal practice with the small shackles to put a small snap ring (essentially a key ring) through the hole and round the shackle pin. Then it cannot undo.

Have you got a picture of that please? I think I know what you mean but it would be good see it done. Thanks

20 hours ago, Pilot Paul said:

Everytime I go and look at it In the garage (which is often as I love it)

Lol.... I recognize that shit :) 

The D-ring has a strap as a failsafe... not sure how comfy it would be riding on the strap but it would remain flyable if the D-ring failed.
(Cant see it failing in shear though)

Twice I have managed to launch with the riser wrapped around the dog-leg (Bailey V2, similar to yours)... Not fun but the few inch imbalance was easily flyable/controllable/landable (the thrust line was off center so beware of being heavy handed)

The two Pip-Pins are under much less shear because of how the weight hangs... I would expect the welds to fail before the pins did.
Again, I would expect a shift in balance if it did but would also expect it to remain controllable.
You could do a hang-check with any of those mounting points off if you wanted an idea of what you would be into if one failed.

I once flew on old Fly paramotor without the dog-legs (I had forgotten them).... It flew but it squeezed me against the frame.

Its good to be paranoid about your gear... keep you nice and safe :) 

Edited by Blackburn Mark

44 minutes ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Lol.... I recognize that shit :) 

The D-ring has a strap as a failsafe... not sure how comfy it would be riding on the strap but it would remain flyable if the D-ring failed.
(Cant see it failing in shear though)

Twice I have managed to launch with the riser wrapped around the dog-leg (Bailey V2, similar to yours)... Not fun but the few inch imbalance was easily flyable/controllable/landable (the thrust line was off center so beware of being heavy handed)

The two Pip-Pins are under much less shear because of how the weight hangs... I would expect the welds to fail before the pins did.
Again, I would expect a shift in balance if it did but would also expect it to remain controllable.
You could do a hang-check with any of those mounting points off if you wanted an idea of what you would be into if one failed.

I once flew on old Fly paramotor without the dog-legs (I had forgotten them).... It flew but it squeezed me against the frame.

Its good to be paranoid about your gear... keep you nice and safe :) 

That’s Good to hear and  extremely reassuring! I’m training with the BHPA so currently learning free flight and practicing landings before I’m ‘allowed’ an engine. Getting some great flights from some high points in Sussex though.....Mount Caburn, Devils Dyke etc.

I can now strap on the old v4 without worrying about those little d-rings and pins 😂👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...

A tie wrap through it also works. Just regularily check they are all there.

Looks like u have Swan necks? They are in a semi sheer load - pushing against the frame. Massively strong. When under tension it would be solid even without both those pins IMHO.

do check the mallions regularily, but you'll find Paul fits baring sheaths I think through the swing arm so the load is spread across the arm. You could probably hang a car off one of em.

stu