Refuelling

Probably a simple/stupid question,  but here goes anyway.  

Most of my flying is on my own so don’t get to see what others do,  but I just find refuelling a PITA.  I don’t fly too often so don’t really keep pre mixed fuel.   Not that I have any issue with the mixing.  More the filling up of the fuel tank.  On a parajet zenith for what it’s worth.  

I’ve tried numerous ways, wiggle pipe, funnel etc. And always find it a messy or time consuming.  I think my main issue is I use a Mr Funnel as that was what was advised when I learnt, but find it a little tiresome/awkward as it doesn’t flow very well Unless I’m holding it up out of the fuel tank. It gets even harder when trying to get the last drags out and end up inevitable with little spillages and end up feeling I need another pair of hands to hold everything in place.  I’ve  tried a longer/bigger funnel with a longer flexible hose as an option, but then not using the Mr funnel and  find it more flimsy when pouring,  especially if pouring more fuel in one go.  

so at present I mix my fuel In a mixing can then pour it in to a little 5L Jerry can and then with mr funnel fuel up which is easy to manage, , but as I said find it a faff especially if wanting more that 5L.  It’s  time consuming enough so that puts me off going out in the evenings after work.  With that and setting up time.  

Do I accept that it is what it is and allow more time.   I’m just convinced some of you Will have your refuelling down to a fine art and Probably be something simple and obvious.  So any obvious or clever recommendations of what you use or do, would be greatly appreciated.  

Thanks in advance.  

I use 25 litre metal gerry can. I mix oil as soon as I fill it, and I write on can when I filled, and what ratio I used.

Sometime it might sit in there for 6 months (as some of it had flight before last when I finished it and had to refill.

I've never had any problems from 'old' fuel or degrading mixed oil that folk go on about.

I use a standard glass ball jiggle syphon. A few shake starts it, then I hold the gerry can up high to increase flow. fills in no time.

take out of gerry can first, and allow fuel in pipe to flow into tank. remove pipe, and leave out to dry while you fly (so no stinky fuel smell in vehicle). no spillages, no hassle really.

Cheers guys,  I seem to have lost my jiggle pipe,  when I moved house, 

good to hear about older fuel being alright to use,  does it matter, what you store mixed fuel in, I.e plastic or metal Jerry can.   If I can pre mix and leave Until I need it  that would be helpful and save a bit of time.  

21 hours ago, admin (Simon W) said:

You are going to love me for this :-):-) lolol 

Mod your Mr Funnel by adding a meter or so of silicone tube to the end :-):-)

That's what we use for the school machines and its soooo much nicer. 

SW :D

Yes....and if you snag a wee hook (I found mine laying on the floor in a Dobbies) or fashion your own from wire you can hook the funnel onto the cage spar and it leaves you both hands free to pour the petrol....

20200705_102744[1].jpg

• Like 2

I did find the small one - very slow in pouring.

So I upscaled and got a big Mr Funnel now (Yellow one).  Flows great, but does take a lot of room up really and I use the wire thingy with rubber around the outside - works a treat attaching it to the cage.

Think I'll get a D - for description :-)

Tony

7 hours ago, r11ky0 said:

Yes....and if you snag a wee hook (I found mine laying on the floor in a Dobbies) or fashion your own from wire you can hook the funnel onto the cage spar and it leaves you both hands free to pour the petrol....

20200705_102744[1].jpg

If you had used a rag before hitting that bend in the hook with your long nose pliers you would not have taken the paint off 'bloody butcher' lolol ;-) 

Fantastic ideal that I will implement.

SW :D 

On 05/07/2020 at 10:31, r11ky0 said:

20200705_102744[1].jpg

Ah man... the hook, so simple but I gotta get one. Thanks.

• 2 years later...

Newbie question incoming on this topic…..

At what point should I filter?

I was assuming I’d pour unleaded petrol from my jerry can into another container through a Mr Funnel and then add oil to this filtered petrol.

Or should I be pouring mixed fuel through the filter into the Paramotor tank? I wasn’t sure whether the filter removed anything from the oily goodness of the Motul juice.. ?

Cheers,

Jonny