thestone85

Convincing Wife!

Hey Everyone!

I'm trying to convince my wife that paramotoring is safe and that the Nitro 200 is a safe motor.  She is very scientific and data based when it comes to topics like this. Does anyone have a good site with data regarding the safety of a paramotor and what it is like comparing it to a motorcycle / car / private plane?

Thank you!

They are as safe as the person that owns them :-) 

apparently, you are more likely to have an accident on the way to the airfield than while flying. ( I have been told this a number of times by different instructors over the years ) 

Seems legit, but not sure where the stats are published. 

SW :D

• Like 1

Just regard it as dangerous - but with good training and lots of practise you'll mitigate that danger to a level which gives you the confidence (but not over-confidence) to fly safely and enjoy it. Your choice of wing is very important too. 

Like Simon said, it's the pilot which is the biggest risk factor, not the machine.  

• Like 1

Oh dear... I'd nip that in the bud asap! You're potentially going to be cheating gravity... and there are inherent dangers in doing so. I doubt any stats out there will allay any of her fears. Personally I just tell the Mrs I'm popping out to go Bullfighting.

• Haha 1

Watch all the ppg and pg accident videos. Work out why they crashed and then make sure you never do the same.

20 hours ago, thestone85 said:

Hey Everyone!

Does anyone have a good site with data regarding the safety of a paramotor and what it is like comparing it to a motorcycle / car / private plane?

Thank you!

Get the wife to research the `micromort` - it`s a unit of measurement to define the chances of death.

1 micromort = one in a million chance of death per activity.

For example skydiving = 8 micromorts per jump.

Do you have children? Giving birth = 120 micromorts!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hann__ said:

Do you have children? Giving birth = 120 micromorts!

Only to the one giving birth! 

Skydiving mortality rate is 2.1 per 100,000 (normal units),     or 21 micromorts in Hann's units. :)

Paragliding is 10 per 100,000     

Being killed in a car accident is also 10 per 100,000.