Great time at guilford today

As above , couple hours of fun above guilford with my mate mark ' went up again to catch the sunset ' the wind had changed direction and wow from 120 feet ish " it turned in to rock and roll ride , got 800 then wow I'm at a 1000 very lively ' great fun though . Came down and at 100 ish feet all was calm again , fantastic time .     Had I not had any pmc insurance I would not have had a fantastic time because I wouldn't have been able to use the site .   Glad I have insurance ,

cas .

• Upvote 3

Nearly did this weekend Cas, but been cultivating a local farmer contact to use a field of his and so far looks OK, albeit like probably most other flyers on this forum, jealously guarded & not for wider sharing I'm afraid. Issues are noise (nowhere near as bad as expected), neighbours & horses (don't fly anywhere near them), crops/livestock (rotate sites as required), be responsible (t/o and depart, no circuits, no low flying in the vicinity), no raves (1-2 pilots max). Kinda makes for interesting evasive manoeuvres depending on wind direction. But it's local, so worth the effort.

You London based chaps should try a few farmers close to the M25 where maybe noise isn't such a problem, most farmers I've spoken to are actually quite curious about the sport, suggest you do a trial flight for them from a suitable field, you can normally get the OK for 2 of you to fly on the basis of safety (not good form to spend the night bust up in their field O.o).

• Upvote 2

It just takes a little bit of confidence and to go knocking on some doors :-) Keep a bottle of something nice in the van for the person who says yes. 

Over the years I have spoken to a fair few land owners, and they have all allowed me (and others) to fly from there land except one who's wife put a show stopper on it after they argued it out in front of me on the field LOLOL. 

I think my point is: Go and knock on some doors!! they can only say no and will most likely say yes :-) 

It's always a good idea to mention aerial photos in the conversation as well (they make a great gift!) :-) 

SW :D

I was thinking of going up Barry's on Sunday, but those clouds from 14:00-16:00 looked like they meant business! Sounds like it was a rollercoaster. :coptor: Opted for a sunset flight with @steve342 instead to wave at some balloon passengers. :)

Glad Barry is still 'operational' this year @cas_whitmore as I heard he was thinking of building on the site??

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, cas_whitmore said:

If he can get building plan's for the field he's selling up moving abroad. ?

That's a shame. It's a great site and would be a shame to loose it. I flew there a few times last year and the only issue seemed to be the odd "bandit' flying low out of Farnborough. Let's hope it lasts.

9 hours ago, cas_whitmore said:

I'll try all the above today . I'm on a two day film shoot at bovingdon little used airdrome ' got some info on the owner' his dad has ppl so see how it goes .  

Plus cash is king !!!! ?

Be careful heading for the default 'cash is king' setting mate... As soon as a landowner takes a payment, they are responsible for making sure the 'land is safe' and that will put many off. 

Gift's are king in this case I find. :-)

Good luck mate, and if you need a copy of the PMC landowner disclaimer let me know.. See you at the weekend!! 

SW :D

Yesssss' as I posted earlier 'was going to ask airfield owner if I could fly from his land ' well he got wind I was going to ask him so he came found me' took me to the other side of airfield said if this bits any good I can use it , didn't really talk about does and don't. Except to say that we're both pilots and it's yours ( me ) to lose . So we'll see how it goes .  

Cas . 

• Upvote 1

Is anyone else thinking of flying from Barry's field tomorrow night (Friday)? I suspect some people might be heading across to Borechasers, but if you are let me know. I'm only about 2 miles from Barry's field so really keen to get to know the people that fly there. 

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...