Great time at guilford today

No I didn't fly Paul, we were having a bbq and the last forecast showed the gusts increasing out of limits so I decided to have a couple of beers and avoid disappointment (as I thought). Took the dog out at dusk - no wind! Typical! 

3 hours ago, paul_grover said:

Did you get to fly Alex? I've recently moved back to London so Barry's is closest to me now. It would be good to meet up with others there.

pg

Ah OK, where can you get that live feed? I use windfinder and it reports the measured wind at Farnborough but it doesn't report gusts as such. I believe it's a kite surfing app so not as relevant I guess. 

I missed that you'd edited your post so I went down to Barry's at about half 5 to see who was there. Looked a bit. Like this. Cloud Base was low

received_10101554201825812.jpeg

MetOffice aviation forecasts are a pretty reliable source of weather info, they do location/area balloon forecasts which on the day are generally spot on. If the balloons are up, it's usually good enough for us.  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/ga-briefing-services. Aerodrome actuals are also accurate in real time.

Particularly useful for forecast winds at 1000ft and 2000ft which can often be considerably higher than ground level, not much fun soon after taking off from what appears to be light wind conditions at ground level.

• 8 months later...

First flight this year from Barry`s farm. Quite good in the middle of the field, more wet & sloppy close to the buildings/caravans, so no driving on the grass. All in all it`s good and flyable. There`s a new code for the gate, so call Barry before you go.

barryfarm0069.JPG