Question of the day:

I have had an idea, that depending on response I will or will not roll with :-) I will post a question every day (give or take a day for whatever reason may pop up) so that people can answer it / chat about it.

All of the questions are CAA approved and I have the official answers. From the ££££'s worth of study books I had to buy for my heli ticket. Its a bit of fun and posting a wrong answer is by no means shameful and the following comments and answers will assist all :-)

I will post the actual answer the following day at the same time as the new question of the day. :-)

Remember you can subscribe to this thread so that you get an email when its updated.

So here is todays question:

The second layer of atmosphere is called the _______________ and the boundary between it and the troposphere is called the___________________

Answers, comment below. :-)

SW :D

Great Idea, keeps people on their toes and even if you don't know the answer it makes you look them up and that's not a bad thing either

The second layer of atmosphere is called the Stratosphere and the boundary between it and the troposphere is called the ....

Couldn't answer without looking it up & I'm not going to cheat

Badger

Well done to those who got it :-)

1 - Stratosphere

2 - Tropopause

Today's question is another met one:

If the moisture content of a parcel of air is such that it's due point temperature is +7c at what height above the ground would it's base likely form if the surface air was 22c

Ok, taking the standard dry adiabatic lapse rate of 3 degrees per thousand feet, and given the normal decrease of dew point of approximately 0.5°C over the same interval, the difference between ambient temperature and dew point decreases by approximately 2.5°C every thousand feet.

So the cloud base should be at ((ground temp-dew point)/2.5)*1000) giving us ((22-7)/2.5)*1000=6000 feet.

The correct answer for question 2 is: 5000ft

The calculation is: 22-7=15/3=5x1000=5000ft. WELL DONE TO ALL :-)

Todays question 3 is an Airlaw question:

Non-urgent information is distributed to Pilots as an ________________Circular. And those directly related with air safety are printed on ___________ paper.

Interesting, so it uses the dry adiabatic lapse rate with no correction for the dew point changing with altitude.

Air law, my least favourite!

Non-urgent information is distributed to Pilots as an AIC (Aeronautical Information Circular) And those directly related with air safety are printed on pink paper.

The correct answer for yesterday is: Aeronautical Information Circular, and Pink.

Here is a link for further information and where to find the AIC's http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... id=17.html

Today's question is another air law one:

If two aircraft in flight are well separated but on a collision course, the aircraft with the other on it's Right should do what?