Question of the day:

Nice practical question! So, my relatively ill educated thought process goes like this; cumulous clouds means thermals, I'm guessing the thermic conditions are contributing something to the gusts - all in all lots of moving air. I'd be concerned about ground rotor low down, increased turbulence higher with rising/falling air threatening a bumpy ride and with the wind gradient meaning more wind speed at altitude, I would worry I would be flying backwards at a safe height. If it was afternoon, I'd wait for the wind to calm down as the thermals cooled.. If it was morning I would pack up as conditions are only going to decline. I wouldn't write the whole day off though.. Am I close? Or do I need to read up on my met?! Great exercise btw Simon!

1) surface to Flight level 105 (10500ft at standard pressure) in this class D airspace.

2) 3000 FT to Flight level 105 (10500ft) - so you can fly up to 3000ft

The R is a restricted area and I'm now off to brush up on the code following it.

I've got a question, the following are on a 1:250k air map, what do they mean?

CARDIFF CTA "D"

SFC-FL105

LARS 119.150

CARDIFF CTA "D"

3000'-FL105

A red/brown solid line area with diagonal hatching and R153.2.0 written inside

Sent from my iPad using PMC Forum mobile app

• 2 months later...
Your flying along with an IAS of 20kts and it starts to snow ,you have a tail wind of 25kts where would you expect the snowflake to hit you 1 in the face 2 on top of your head 3

on the back of your neck :mrgreen:

The Snow will hit you in the face ( or being pedantic on your visor )

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

SUPERB idea! Education AND a great organisation! I'll be following and hopefully contributing to this one.

Please add to that: Personally I'd be very interested in an explanation on how these things work too when you give the answers. Like possibly the answer to this annoying state of affairs that others have no doubt experienced:

Why on earth am I struggling to do my well practised and always good take offs since I just went to high hang points (not what I wanted but you have no choice if you want the Ferrari of paramotors... Nirvana)?

Answers (I think, possibly, so far)

A): When I moved to a hot paraglider wing way back when, for some reason I pulled DOWN on the A-risers on take-off and could never get the wing up straight. Took me ages to realise such a simple error. It is a real challenge to hold the A risers up high enough for the payload to take the weight rather than hands with a high hang-point PPG I'm finding. I definitely don't get the point of high hang points. Particularly on take-off. You have to look at the wing to see what it is doing. There is no instinctive feel (what is so instinctive then about the Nirvana Instinct;-) Also I've found it annoying to constantly have to "trim" the wing-tip toggles when trying to fly dead straight on a gps track (especially in the rain when my body is convulsing from the cold!) whereas with low hang points I could just lean a little and not have to keep reaching up. I have tried to off-set the trim slightly to let the one side fly faster but that means having one side's trimmers not fully out which is obviously not ideal. Still a work in progress so any advice would be welcome... I must say though that owning this incredible aircraft far outweighs the high hang point dislike. The power is quite unbelievable and the cruising rev's make it worth every back-breaking 5 seconds of picking it up.

B) Could it be that the Nirvana has such a slow throttle response (compared to my PAP Ros125) that when I crank it to 100% that it just doesn't quite instantly jump up to full power to time that moment perfectly with that moment the wing is in exactly the right position for the balls-to-the-wall run? This one I don't know because I'm finding that out of uncertainty I'm spending too much time getting the wing flying to allow time for the power delay. I idle the motor until I feel the wing is flying. Maybe even as simple as having no clutch. Only a few flights on it so it could just purely be getting used to a fully new wing/ motor combo which will no doubt take some time. I've had to abort just once each flight. When I do the second attempt I really focus on "choosing a target" (to run toward) as I was taught by Laura Nelson in South Africa with Hang Gliders in 1988. That target thing was essential and really works, particularly for nil or variable wind take-offs which I've had for all my flights on the Nirvana/Speedster. Could also even be settings on the trimmers that I haven't fully sussed too. It's the variables that I'm gradually eliminating - that is the issue.

Great idea Simon. Learning makes us safer.

Regards

Raidan