Annual cost for a paramotor? Thinking of starting PPG

Hello!

I've considered beginning paragliding and possibly later on powered paragliding for a few years now but haven't pulled the trigger because of the starting costs. I've now saved up enough to get a paramotor and a license if I want to, but before I start I would like to know what annual costs I can expect. If I'm not mistaken, it's the glider that cost the most per year (a glider lasts for about 250 hours in-air right?)? Appreciate your help :)

That made me smile Gordon.

If you're worried about the cost, a good instructor will save you some money, in the long run.

Another big expense for many, seems to be props. Half a dozen breakages will frustrate your wallet to the tune of 1000 - 1500 quid + Try to find a unit that doesn't break up to badly, especially whilst learning. Gets better later.

Hey everyone, thank you for your help! It looks like it would be a manageable annual cost (especially if it's possible to keep it at the cost-level that you do morgy). I know that this is will vary alot and might now be possible to answer, but does a paramotor often require expensive repairs (if I as recommended by you research different paramotors and choose one that doesn't break up to much)? Is it like an old car that can break down now and then? Is the construction somewhat simple so that it's possible to do smaller repairs by yourself?

For wings you have to factor in a once every two year check with the manufacturer or one of the independants (The Loft, Aerofix etc) £50-£80 including shipping.

The rest of the costs depends entirely on the type of flying you end up doing and even where your flying from, as nice soft grass is far gentler than stubble fields surrounded by barb wire!

Biggest unexpected costs seem to come from broken props, serious engine failures or engine problems which are hard to diagnose.

Good dealer / manufacturer support comes into it's own when you are trying to diagnose a niggly motor problem which prevents you from flying 8)

Engines can let go at any time, but obviously the more hrs you put on it increases the chances of this happening. Some motors rev less and are better at dissipating heat, so they'll have an easier life than a high revving racing motor. 2-strokes are more likely to go bang than a 4-stroke, but are 'generally' easier to repair. You will often hear horror stories of engines letting go at 15hrs, but most modern motors will go waaaay beyond that if looked after with the right oil etc...

I think of paramotor 2-strokes as big model airplane engines (which I spent most of my miss-spent youth stripping down, flying into the ground etc) so most maintenence jobs/problems don't phase me.

HTH!

Rich

Edited by Guest

Van

Your right the upfront cost is the big one. You can get 500 hours out of a glider if you take care of it and have it checked for porosity regularly. Most people upgrade to get the latest in performance or perceived safety (could be factual in some cases) I sometime think most times it hype than anything.

The run cost is nothing really. Your beer after the flights will be the biggest cost factor to worry about. Buy $15-20 of gas and oil, put some gas in the truck and drive to your local flying site.

Let’s face it the paramotor is not a complex system. In most cases is a moped motor, gearbox and prop. Take care of it and it will last a long time. You will get tired of it and want something new before it needs rebuilding.

If you buy a 2stroke you can rebuild these easy if you have a little experience and mechanical ability. Worst case you take the engine into the local bike shop and they will fix it for cheap. I would recommend you get the parts from the dealer first (original parts are the best and some have been modified).

I fly a Miniplane. I’ve dropped the motor out at the site pulled the starter cable out replaced it remounted the motor and went for a fly (60min). I only needed maybe 4 tools. I’m sure the new 4 strokes are a little more complex but still not unmanageable

Moral of the story…. Buy your motor and get at it!!!!!

SW is a very generous man, I conclude.

From another post, I would not generally agree that 4 strokes are more reliable than 2 stroke motors. Some 4 strokes have had short lives, needing rebuilds at 30 hours and very dear. Not as easy for DIY rebuilds. Stuff like Top 80's and Simonini 200 can give hundreds of trouble free running with similar fuel economy.