Fine for breaking 500ft rule in UK

stuartasutherland

What's more interesting about this is.....

This is the first (to my knowledge) PPG related 'offence' that I can remember.... ????

As numbers increase I suppose this type of report / offene will.....Hope not of course.

SW :D

Very true Alan. The Germans make them. We English gold plate them. Spanish break them and the Italians don't even read them. (rules)

But the minority have felt this would happen sooner or later. Easy to say "it wont happen, the CAA have got bigger fish to fry. They won't bother with us." Now let me think. Who said that ? Any takers ?

Everyone knows the law, and occasionally they are tempted to do things that they know they shouldn't be.... I belive it does no harm to fly low on a beach- as long as you obey the 500ft from any person, vehicle or vessel aspect.... If you fly close to people, the chances are you are going to annoy them... or scare them in some way and a complaint will be lodged. The police/CAA probably won't act unless a formal complaint has been lodged.

Very true Alan. The Germans make them. We English gold plate them. Spanish break them and the Italians don't even read them. (rules)

But the minority have felt this would happen sooner or later. Easy to say "it wont happen, the CAA have got bigger fish to fry. They won't bother with us." Now let me think. Who said that ? Any takers ?

Dave, I think it was a 'Majority' that knew that at some point in time someone would get nicked for a flying related incident. And actually, I have always believed that the police / CAA would respond to an official complaint if made (they have too)

The point is, as far as I am aware, this is the first time it's happened. This is of course in it's self not a good thing. But the numbers are still WAY WAY too small for the CAA to be 'policing' us as a sports aviators.

In any walk of life, if you break a law and get caught doing it.... I guess your going to get nicked. There is no special law for Paramotor Pilots and I for one am not at all surprised to see this happen.

Most have broken the 500ft rule at some point, this guy was unlucky and got caught. Assuming people are now taking pictures and sending them to the police and the CAA expect more people to get nicked (for breaking the law)

All seems very normal to me?

Common sense should prevail here.

No problem breaking the 500 foot rule, we all go that little bit faster than the speed limit in our cars/bikes BUT we dont do it when there are police with speed cameras around.

So think of people as police with speed cameras and don't do it if they are around.

I am sure that you can find a nice place to go foot dragging with no one to show off to, or is that why you do it??.

Thats a very good question.

You can't file a flight plan without a G number but every G number aircraft HAS to file a flight plan to cross international borders, and can be called to land at a customs airfield!!!

Hummm.......

I've seen posts relating to channel crossing to France from the UK. A flight plan was filed by phone and the G-reference was given as "G-XXXX" with details relating to a foot launched paramotor. This was apparently accepted by the French authorities and the fileplan was later closed when the crossing was complete.

Yes- I definitely need to check this out as I'm well within flying distace (21miles) of the Scottish FIR boundary with Ireland.... to further complicate matters the FIR boundary dosen't follow the land border.... and some large areas of Northern Ireland fall within Irish FIR (South Fermanagh) and some large areas of Ireland fall within the Scottish FIR (North Monaghan).

I guess there is nothing stopping you from landing and walking across the border if this is a problem.. :lol: