Both reserves thrown

clivefreeman

Hey Yogi

How you fining the flying out there in canada???

Hi Mark

Not flying yet, but really desperate to get into the air especially after just watching Seymore’s video flying around Pagham and Bury, really wish I could just fly over my dad’s house again :(

Here you need to have a ultra light licence with a PPG endorsement, the kit needs to have a registration number licenced with transport for Canada. The licence involves 20hours ground school, 30 take offs and landings, 5 hours solo c/c, for around $2,300.

The trouble we have is the nearest school is 9hours away and the next closest is 15hours each way !

But on the up side here with a licence you can have a trike, quad, or foot launch, we are looking at getting a Green Eagle PPG which is a 4 stroke 38hp with around 100+kg of thrust, they do a version that runs on propane!

!

We have around 80 acres so plenty of space to muck about on one of these :D

Andy

That's interesting.

I remember reading somewhere that reserve design aims at a 5 Mtr per second descent rate which would be half their speed.

I came down under my reserve on a PPG but it was a bit unique / lucky. The reserve bundle got tangled in the wing which delayed opening, I was being thrown around a bit and when the reserve opened it was horizontal to me then swung me through the vertical about 10 ft AGL and I landed on my back in a hedge completely pain free. I was 800ft AGL initially and probably threw the reserve at about 600ft so wasn't much time to think. I didnt even kill the engine and on bracing for impact was at full throttle. I didn't know the reserve had deployed until I saw it layed out then realised what had happened.

I've told this story loads of times so appologies for the repeat but it was a bit special.

Regards.

That's interesting.

I remember reading somewhere that reserve design aims at a 5 Mtr per second descent rate which would be half their speed.

I've told this story loads of times so appologies for the repeat but it was a bit special.

Regards.

GIN-rescue-oneg-2.jpg

Your right at max load around 5m/s little on the fast side. Try to be in the middle of the rage.

General note:

smaller ones open faster but also fall faster

large chutes open a bit slower but fall slower

But this is just a standard chute there are some new types I'm guessing with better decent rates.

At least companies are starting to build some nice light weight ones (bigger sizes and for motors)

http://www.xcmag.com/2011/02/extra-larg ... ue-chutes/