flying with a streamer

seymore

Joking aside....would that Barrier tape work? :?

Because it's a damn sight cheaper than the ebay one.

The ebay one is made from lots of wing material stitched together...

EDIT: Just read a review of the tape on amazon..."Flimsy - akin to tissue paper". Shame.

I think, to be honest, that barrier tape when rolled out for even a 100 foot would snap due to the drag from flying!

Its reasonably strong in short lengths, but 300ft would deffo snap it.

Have you tried one of the wing repair companys - The loft, Aerofix etc.?

They may be able to source rolls of wing material.

Happy Christmas everyone - off to make pies........ :explode:

six quid

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... HIQ8gIwAQ#

This is the same tape that I use on the end of a roach pole 10 mts to give me my wind direction when I am flying from a field with no windsock works great even a sniff of a breeze gets it flying... :D .

My proper windsock pole an Aluminium one also 10 mts is undergoing intensive surgery at the moment and is being sleeved after I removed it from is concrete foundation with my wing tip in May :cry::cry:

:explode:

six quid

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... HIQ8gIwAQ#

This is the same tape that I use on the end of a roach pole 10 mts to give me my wind direction when I am flying from a field with no windsock works great even a sniff of a breeze gets it flying... :D .

My proper windsock pole an Aluminium one also 10 mts is undergoing intensive surgery at the moment and is being sleeved after I removed it from is concrete foundation with my wing tip in May :cry::cry:

:explode:

Better to have a flat plate on the bottom and some sand or similar as weight to keep it up right but will allow it be knocked over.

OR dont fly in to your windsock :D

I was hoping someone would jump in with a how too guide to banner flying...

From what I can remember you need to lay it out, then after taking off, fly by low and pick it up on your foot using a hoop strung between poles, with some sort of overload fuse which will snap if the banner gets caught.

Then kick it off before landing.

Does anyone else know more or better?

That's how Deano does it. I think he has something (a hoop) which he picks up with his foot in a foot drag/low level move.

Definitely don't take off with it.

I really want to get one. Maybe we should talk to the loft.

Problem is, it will probably cost more for them to make it than to order the one from the states.

• 2 months later...

Received my new 300ft streamer from BlueskyPPG out in the States Cost £162 in the end with shipping .

Looks good, with surprisingly very little drag. Fitted a a velcro fuse to a hoop made from water hose with some wire inside, then ran a meter of so of cord to a small weight and the streamer. I Got Steve Haze , who has now moved house and lives just down the road, to stumble around on crutches and film me flying.

Would be nice to double up the length by adding another 300ft.

[vimeo]

[/vimeo]

Another option is to use a complete reel of video tape from a VHS casette. Make sure you take the tape off the reels first, secure it to the frame or harness and throw it well clear of the cage/prop when flying. Perhaps not as spectacular as the thick coloured bands, but the length of the video tape makes it very interesting. It looks really weird when you do a tight turn, and meet the tape coming the other way towards you!!!!! like a contrail!!!

Goes without saying- take care to dispose of the tape carefully- you don't want animals/livestock eating it.

Also always be aware of anything you may trail snagging on barbed wire fences, hedges, etc... or electricity wires.

Although you dont pose a grounding risk while you're flying, you could short out parallel running cables, or earth cables to the ground.

GD