Paramotor Books

i want to learn as much about paramotoring as possible before i start flying. gotta save up $! does anybody have any opinions on which paramotor book i should get? either Paramotoring From the ground up by Noel Whittall, or The Powered Paragliding bible by Jeff Goin. thanx!

the dec 15 2008 edition of Paramotoring From the ground up by Noel Whittall
As an absolute newbie I certainly found this book a very useful introduction to PPG - as it is well structured, and a very easy read.

But you will soon find that it needs to be used in conjunction with information on these forums, when you want to go into more detail around topics such as navigation and meteorology.

Don't think that there is a comprehensive 'PPG Bible' out there yet - but Norman seems to be working towards one :D

Andy

When I was first interested in PPGI had from the ground up which is an excellent introduction. More recently I have the PPG Bible which goes into a bit more depth. It'sa bit more USAcentric but the theory still holds up.

Norman - "They won't be out till the backside of next year". That's a bit of an arse - I can't wait!

Tj

Definately get the Powered Paragliding Bible.

Before getting the bible I purchased "Paramotoring from the ground up" and "Touching cloudbase" and while these are good books, I found the bible to be more comprehensive. I also liked the little tip boxes to help you self-diagnose when your launches go wrong.

Awesome wordery. ;-)

SW :D

I agree! Normans page measures up to his usual, impeccable standards!!!

A stark contrast to the "Powered paragliding bible". I enjoyed and learnt a lot from this book but found the spelling, grammatical and editing errors very distracting. I would still recommend it over "Paramotoring from the ground up" which I found to be very basic.

Worth reading as many books as you can get your hands on as there are nuggets of info which are different in each one. :D

Best regards,

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

I have Dennis Pagen's "Understanding the Sky", and have found it hard to read, perhaps just a little boring for my tastes.

Has anyone read "Meteorology and Flight" ? How did you find it?

I have the 2nd revision of the PPG Bible and it's brilliant, highly recommended!

It is an eternal problem with technical books of many sorts, if I am unable to sleep I just pick one up. It's the thud as it falls from my hands that cues me to turn out the light.

Bringing met alive isn't easy which is strange because it is potentially one of the more interesting areas to study. Wandering around the globe looking at weather from above has been a source of fascination and wonder for a few years now.

Here is a troubled sky over Cuba some months back...

20091120-cew3qawwpy41q1j49tj3icctig.jpg

Kelvin Helmholtz cloud caused by wind velocity shear, this one at low level. This is a comparatively rare phenomena, I had only seen it at high level previously.

20091120-m8t3hxsw78nky6nbgmf7a1m1qd.jpg

What about weather books?

I have started two so far and found them to be less than appropriate for the beginner. They are:

Understanding Flying weather - Derek Pigott

Air Riders Weather - Alan Watts

The problem with them is that they don't explain what they say. They say things like:

winds flowing into an area of low pressure must exit it, otherwise the depression would fill in very quickly.

OK so I know that the air does exit, I can even explain the angles of entrance and exit, but I have no idea why it does not just fill up. Maybe it's just the way that I work, but I need a mental model of these things, not just a list of facts.

For this reason, I can read the book, but I have to read each paragraph about 10 times and make my own model of what is happening and figure out for myself why it is how they are describing it, which I assume is right, but you know what they say about assumption... These people may be good at their subject, but are no good as teachers.

Anyone know a good graphic book or video I can use a basis before reading these less descriptive books?