Paramotor Re-Design

Zeus

Hello, This is the opportunity to have your say in what would be your ideal paramotor! I am a 3rd year designer on Transportation Design at Northumbria University and currently undertaking a competition in which i want to re-design and re-package the Paramotor.

I am posting this discussion to try and pick your brains for any ideas you have that would solve any current paramotoring problems or anything that would enhance the experience and make it easier for the user.

The ideas can be as crazy as you like. Is there anything that the paramotor doesn't do which you would like it to do? Is there anything about the paramotor which makes it awkward to use? Seriously anything you can think of will really aid my design process.

Thankyou

Roy

Hello Roy.

One of the weaknesses of many paramotors is the ability for the cage to flex enough to come into contact with the spinning propellor.

This usually occurs when stumbling or tripping, or generally losing ones balance during the take off run, and happens when the cage strikes the ground and gets deflected.

One of the paramotors renowned for its strength and resistance to prop strike is the Flat Top, do a search and you'll soon find it. Whether it owes its strength to the additional cross members between the front and rear hoops of the cage I don't really know.

With my paramotor, a Fresh Breeze Airboss, the rubber engine mounts will allow the cage to move enough to strike the prop when subjected to enough force, as in falling over. Maybe this aspect of anti vibration engine mounting can be looked at.

Good luck,

Alan

Perhaps general aerodynamics, the motor & pilot is such an inefficient lump? Teardrop shaped tank, thin cage profile (but still strong enough to meet Alan's suggestions above), reserve 'chute stowage together with bridle routing. Feathering or folding prop for those rare motor off soaring periods? A prop with frangible but replaceable tips? Sprung skids so a fubar'ed landing doesn't bend your cage?

While weight loss and/or power boost would be nice there are a couple of things that strike me; 1) we already seem to be at a balance point between shedding weight, increasing power, and maintaining reliability. and 2) there are relatively few of us who wouldn't benefit from losing five or more kilos off our OWN frame which would probably be easier and have multiple benefits all round :-)

Phil

Both of the above.

For me, aerodynanisysum ? lol

and As Dan says, the idea of having a 'flexifoil' type ridged wing would be worth doing just for the laugh!

SW :D

How about a motor that when you land, young good looking females approach you and want to take off their clothes, kiss you and rub their naked bodies all over you. :lol:

Did I just say that out loud??? :oops:

Whitters.

what you mean they dont do that for you then Rich?

Happens to me all the time :D

Dave

The thing to appreciate is there are 2 schools of thought-

1) the guys who just want axilliary power- to carry them to height so that they can soar/freefly using thermals and terrain

2) the guys who want performance/power- for XCs competitions, acro, etc...

In my opinion, a good paramotor is either one or the other (1 or 2)

Things that should be considered are-

-Fuel cell technology, electric motors using hydrogen converters

-Torque effect cancellation- smaller props/contra rotating props/etc... reducing torque or elimination of torque- move to high hang points/no need for swing arms

-Elimination of props- different means of propulsion??? Safety advantages.... Reaction/turbine.... (Ion transfer???)

-Lighter/safer /more reliable machines.... without compromising on current performance perameters.....

GD

Roy

Good luck with your project. If we could get the ultimate machine built on British soil, it would certainly have my backing. I've flown the Flat-Top , that Alan spoke of in an earlier post, on this thread, for 17 months. There are one or 2 things where it might be changed to suit some pilots, but it ticks alot of the boxes re. pilot safety, reliability, economy, comfort and shear strength without the usual breakages.

Maybe you should get to some flyins and see what happens so you might be able to work out how things could evolve for the better.

I dont know where you are but if you'd like to give my motor a thorough going over, you'd be welcomed. Might even get some flying done. Do you fly ?

Dave

I'll look into the female attracting motors.

Roy

Well Roy this certainly attracted one female :lol:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Now if this could be adapted/advanced for paramotor design just think of the safety :idea: , and no broken props.

article-1219907-06CD0C37000005DC-884_233x361_popup.jpg

Food for thought,

Alan