Tip to Tip 2010.

Hi Simon,

I'm very interested in your Tip 2 Tip Oz project. Sounds like it will be a fantastic adventure. A number of my family live in Oz and I'm sure they'd be happy to give their support with advice and whilst over there. I've recently started flying and am getting as much flying time in as possible. I am an experienced photographer with a good deal of jungle travel and living experience, having organised a number of expeditions with friends to jungles in India. I have an uncle in Oz who has hunted extensively in the outback, so should be able to provide some good insights into what you can expect and how best to avoid the worst of it. Anyway, I'd be very keen to get involved in helping out with the expedition and would love to participate as a pilot if possible.

Thanks,

JWD

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought a helicopter would have been the logical vehicle to use for support, as most of the area you will be flying over will be hard to access by land, infact some of it may be so difficult to cross by vehicle you may end up leaving your support vehicles way behind.

It is gong to take a while for the dust to settle on this project and for there to be a clear indication of how many people are needed and with what skills they need to be equipped. Certainly from a planning viewpoint, if anyone really wants to get involved, particularly those who have 'in theater' knowledge - please drop me a line. There will be more that enough work for those who fancy lending a hand.

We will certainly need:

* Local knowledge of the NE sector, the FIRST part of the route (or a desire to research it and make in country contacts and gather data).

* People with an understanding of legislation who are prepared to research the Australian end with regard to

permits,

permissions and the like.

* The 'CAA' angle, licensing requirements for Aus with specific application to paramotoring.

Airspace and flight planning is the easy bit, there is an awful lot to look at beyond drawing a few lines on a chart as I am sure everyone appreciates.

These are just a couple of the sub headings that roll of the top of my head.

Email address below.

What can I bring?... boobs and a ukulele. Will that do?

I don't think we need the ukelele do we boys? :D

You dont mention your excellent piloting skills, your thoughful approach to flying, your self reliant nature , your grounded common sense, your lovely singing voice and your delightful smile..... as well as the boobs.

You also know the SA bush? and can skin a wilderbeast with your wit!

Simon

There are a dedicated group of pilots in Queenslands Gold Coast and Byron Bay that would like to extend a warm welcome to you and your Australian 2010 adventure.

Keep in contact and feel free to get in touch.

This weeks local flight can be viewed at youtube under my user name paramotorben

Regards

ParamotorBen

Simon

There are a dedicated group of pilots in Queenslands Gold Coast and Byron Bay that would like to extend a warm welcome to you and your Australian 2010 adventure.

Keep in contact and feel free to get in touch.

This weeks local flight can be viewed at youtube under my user name paramotorben

Regards

ParamotorBen

Ben,

Perfect!! Thanks for poping your head up and saying hi. I have loads of stuff to ask you...

Do you have skype?

SW :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Stuart Highway is one of the main routes north/south though central Australia- i belive it was the route that was first used to cross Australia- rather symbolic. I've had a look on Google Earth, the road is visible with high resolution. The highway is named for John McDouall Stuart (A Scottish guy), the first European to cross Australia from South to North, and it generally follows his route.

The route is apprx 1761miles!

Read more at-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Highway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McDouall_Stuart

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi to you on this adventure. I have just joined your forum, found whilst browsing for some prop information. Your planned trip caught my eye as I have been considering the possibility myself. In september 07 I undertook a 1600 km xc across NSW, with a mate , on Flykes unsupported raising money and awareness for cancer research fund raising venture 'Relay for Life'. It was quite a trip, we met many lovely people and had lots of laughs but it was very difficult to keep to any sort of schedule. We were going to the 10th annual Pico-light (ppg oz talk) convention, just out of Wagga Wagga in NSW. We did make it arriving on the morning of the first day but did a lot of headwind road miles and a fair bit of bush mechanic-ing along the way. I am interested in what you are planing and extend an offer of support to you. I have a fair knowledge of most of the route though have only been up to cape york north of the Daintree by sea. I have been flying HG since '77 PG since '99 and PPG for 4 years. I have a good network of contacts within the flying community including the admin side. To do any aerial work of this sort you will need an 'air operators certificate' issued by CASA. They are available by jumping through many hoops over a protracted time. It would be the first bit of red tape to get moving on. Will Gadd recently did some paramotoring whilst filming on the Barrier reef for a Discovery Channel doco. The permissions and logistics for it were quite extensive and I think they opted to work through a Helicopter charter company who has one. An expensive option. Your route would be over and through Native title land which would require sensitive negotiation, but again a must have. Local councils along the planned route also will have their greasy palms out. your plan is ambitious (I like that), weather dependent (8 weeks will be pretty tight) but most importantly great fun. Good Luck !!

Regards Eddie

Hi Ed and welcome to our forum.

I am sure your help will be more than welcome and one of the planners will no doubt come on and say the same.

If not, please bear with us as Simon Westmore (the main man on this trip) is away with the skycar expidition until !st March which you will find on another thread.

Thanks again

Regards

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your input, I followed your adventures through the website. It looked as though you had a ball.

Planning the Australia event is proving to be a really interesting proposition. It is clear to me that we cannot do it effectively at this range in its entirety, there is simply too much work that needs eyeball time with the authorities and frankly Oz expertise. We will be discussing your contributions and our approach over the coming weeks to find our way ahead. PM on the way.

• 3 months later...