Gaggle - Flight Recorder feedback thread

Hennie Espere Brink

Hi Everyone,

I am the developer of Gaggle, the new flight recorder the paramotor pilots. For those that don't know about it yet, it has all the flight instruments you would need as a paramotor pilot like altitude, elevation, wind direction and speed, and also airspaces. It also works pretty good groups of pilots flying together because it has built in location sharing. You have a look at more of the features and some screens by going to the website here: https://www.flygaggle.com/

I thought I'd create this thread as a place for pilots to give me feedback and also to have a general Q&A here for any questions that anyone may have.

• Like 1

In all honesty you probably don't gain a lot by switching to Gaggle right now since they have pretty similar features, in fact XC Guide probably has a quite a few more. I am still busy building out the feature set in Gaggle and it's still in the early days of development. I do aim for it to be very easy to use with a decluttered user interface only showing relevant information when it's needed. A feature that I will be introducing soon is leaderboards between friends that might be fairly unique if that is something that interests you. Other than that Gaggle is meant to work out the the box between you and your friends without needing to many other apps and integrations, so you can get notified when friends are flying, track their live location, and also see flight recordings in a 3D visualisations.

• Like 1

I've been using it for the past half dozen flights, running it simultaneously with FlySkyHy. I really like it, it's solid and I really like the simplicity of the interface. Haven't flown with other pilots that were using it yet. 

There was a slight discrepency of data compared to FlySkyHy, which is odd as they were both using the same hardware at the same time. But the differences were only very slight and not an issue. 

Exporting the data in a choice of formats was really easy, love that a lot! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 9:29 AM, Steve said:

I've been using it for the past half dozen flights, running it simultaneously with FlySkyHy. I really like it, it's solid and I really like the simplicity of the interface. Haven't flown with other pilots that were using it yet. 

There was a slight discrepency of data compared to FlySkyHy, which is odd as they were both using the same hardware at the same time. But the differences were only very slight and not an issue. 

Exporting the data in a choice of formats was really easy, love that a lot! 

Thanks for the feedback! I would expect some discrepancies since Gaggle most likely uses different algorithms than FlySkyHy when processing the data. All apps perform quite a bit of filtering of the sensor data to smooth out spikes that can sometimes occur when working with GPS devices and the like but it shouldn't be so large that it makes a big difference in your flying.

Let me know how it goes when you've had a chance to try it out with some friends.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hennie will you be including traffic data via GDL90 from SafeSky or SkyeEcho?

Also landscape mode would be handy. 

Not having to choose road map over satellite map every time would be good too. I know this is picky but it's one more thing to think about.

• 3 months later...

Hi Folks! Hi Simon!

I'm clambering my way back into the sport and watched some USA dudes on Youtube testing out Viper 5, Sirocco 3 and Speedster 3 and they were using Gaggle - looks good. What are the cool kids using these days that I should get as I get back into the sport? I've still got PPGPS on my phone and from PG days XCSoar which most of the PG kids use on Kobo's - good for airspace. 

I want something with airspace mainly but of course with all the other metrics.

Regards and thanks

Raidan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey fellas, I'm back.  Been a while since I last posted.  I've been using Paraglider Dashboard for the last 4 years and I'm just starting to get into Gaggle app on the phone.  I normally don't use the app while flying as I prefer Dashboard.  After I land I'd usually open up Gaggle and just import the gpx igc file from Dashboard into gaggle and boom, it just works.  However, My last flight on Mar 15, 2023 was automatically uploaded and input into Gaggle.  I didn't not open Gaggle, I did not initiate record in Gaggle at all.  Will gaggle go and grab a GPX igc file on it's own now?  I'm dumbfounded as to how this occurred. I'm not upset, I'm kinda liking it.  Just found it very strange my last flight was up'ped and in Gaggle without me having to import it.

Cheers!!

• 1 month later...

I've heard people speak well of gaggle, and have peeked at the site, but not seen it in operation. I do have a question:

I've been thinking about adding the eyeride (eye-lights.com) HUD to my helmet. Transparent displays like that usually work best with relatively simple graphics. Is there or could there be a display mode with only the most basic data available for when I don't want to pull out the phone to fiddle with it, eg altitude, ground speed, bearing/range to next waypoint and to start point, maybe fuel estimate? possibly some warning about nearby airspaces, but not with a lot of map graphics?

I actually bought my garmin watch solely because of stufly, but it would be nice to have 2 instruments (against any failure issue), and a HUD displaying a phone's screen would allow a bit more data to be displayed than the garmin's screen size permits.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 07/09/2022 at 13:28, Hennie Espere Brink said:

Hi Everyone,

I am the developer of Gaggle, the new flight recorder the paramotor pilots. For those that don't know about it yet, it has all the flight instruments you would need as a paramotor pilot like altitude, elevation, wind direction and speed, and also airspaces. It also works pretty good groups of pilots flying together because it has built in location sharing. You have a look at more of the features and some screens by going to the website here: https://www.flygaggle.com/

I thought I'd create this thread as a place for pilots to give me feedback and also to have a general Q&A here for any questions that anyone may have.

Greetings from Germany.

I am frequently using Gaggle for a few months now, converted over from FlySkyHy.

Here is some feedback for your next revisions.

- German voice over does contain source code fragments. Not usable at the moment

- would love to be able to select language of text and voice

- city names in map are VERY small, cant read it (Iphone 8plus)

- calculated flight time contains waiting time before and after flight

- please enable flight planning just by waypoints - with the option to keep them private

- battery level indicator in flight view

- Safe Sky sucks battery empty like hell…

Thats it for now.

More later

Love Gaggle.

Regards

Imgo