Gaggle - Flight Recorder feedback thread

Hennie Espere Brink

Hi Everyone,

I am the developer of Gaggle, the new flight recorder the paramotor pilots. For those that don't know about it yet, it has all the flight instruments you would need as a paramotor pilot like altitude, elevation, wind direction and speed, and also airspaces. It also works pretty good groups of pilots flying together because it has built in location sharing. You have a look at more of the features and some screens by going to the website here: https://www.flygaggle.com/

I thought I'd create this thread as a place for pilots to give me feedback and also to have a general Q&A here for any questions that anyone may have.

• Like 1

In all honesty you probably don't gain a lot by switching to Gaggle right now since they have pretty similar features, in fact XC Guide probably has a quite a few more. I am still busy building out the feature set in Gaggle and it's still in the early days of development. I do aim for it to be very easy to use with a decluttered user interface only showing relevant information when it's needed. A feature that I will be introducing soon is leaderboards between friends that might be fairly unique if that is something that interests you. Other than that Gaggle is meant to work out the the box between you and your friends without needing to many other apps and integrations, so you can get notified when friends are flying, track their live location, and also see flight recordings in a 3D visualisations.

• Like 1

I've been using it for the past half dozen flights, running it simultaneously with FlySkyHy. I really like it, it's solid and I really like the simplicity of the interface. Haven't flown with other pilots that were using it yet. 

There was a slight discrepency of data compared to FlySkyHy, which is odd as they were both using the same hardware at the same time. But the differences were only very slight and not an issue. 

Exporting the data in a choice of formats was really easy, love that a lot! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 9:29 AM, Steve said:

I've been using it for the past half dozen flights, running it simultaneously with FlySkyHy. I really like it, it's solid and I really like the simplicity of the interface. Haven't flown with other pilots that were using it yet. 

There was a slight discrepency of data compared to FlySkyHy, which is odd as they were both using the same hardware at the same time. But the differences were only very slight and not an issue. 

Exporting the data in a choice of formats was really easy, love that a lot! 

Thanks for the feedback! I would expect some discrepancies since Gaggle most likely uses different algorithms than FlySkyHy when processing the data. All apps perform quite a bit of filtering of the sensor data to smooth out spikes that can sometimes occur when working with GPS devices and the like but it shouldn't be so large that it makes a big difference in your flying.

Let me know how it goes when you've had a chance to try it out with some friends.

• Like 1