Which throttle?

cinereus

Am about to pull the trigger on a Parajet Atom and was wondering if people can offer opinions on which throttle is better and why. 

I've read the thread on right vs left but there are three actuel throttle type options: polini, parajet and vittorazi. 

What are the pros and cons of each? 

2 hours ago, Safron said:

I find the vittorazi throttle takes up all my fingers no matter how I hold the throttle?

Many people trim the end of the lever so it fits just their 3rd/4th fingers. Other manufacturers have the lever the correct length to start with!

8 hours ago, AndyB said:

3rd/4th finger throttles leave your 1st/2nd fingers free for doing other stuff.

So which of the three would be best for this? Parajet is out.

Are you saying the Polini is better than the Vittorazi because of the level length? What about ergonomics? Which has a better kill switch? And I'd prefer no cruise control...

Edited by cinereus

I add my own cruise control using a small loop of bungee cord and a clip over the throttle lever. Pushes off in a second if need to take it off.

The key to a throttle working well on 3rd/4th finger is that it needs a really good adjustable, elasticated strap around your hand. Thus, once adjusted it stays where you want it.

I have use Polini, Parajet and Air Conception throttles, although they well have other names. I find the AC one the best so far.

• Like 1

On 11/09/2020 at 20:01, AndyB said:

There are dozens of throttles. Better to think of them as 1st/2nd or 3rd/4th finger.

Okay but there are only three available for the Parajet Atom 80 and I have no idea which is which nor what are the pros and cons of each.

Edited by cinereus

Some people like the parajet one because it has a cruise control screw fitted. Others dislike it because of that. Personally I found the screw got in the way, and also didn't like operating the throttle with my fore finger (the throttle pivots at the top). The Polini throttle suited me better, pivoting at the bottom, meaning I could use my lower fingers for throttle and leaving my fore and middle fingers for brakes. It's also a bit slimmer, which I liked.

(PS cinereus, sent you a PM)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AndyB said:

As I said at the start, I prefer 3rd/4th finger throttles as these leave your 1st/2nd fingers free for doing other stuff.

I used 3 different machines while training. Maybe you need to go and try them some.....

Yes and as I keep saying I still have no idea from what you have said which of the three I mentioned are 3rd/4th finger throttles. If I had the opportunity to try the three throttles available I would but I don't hence asking on here...

4 hours ago, chrsfrwll said:

Some people like the parajet one because it has a cruise control screw fitted. Others dislike it because of that. Personally I found the screw got in the way, and also didn't like operating the throttle with my fore finger (the throttle pivots at the top). The Polini throttle suited me better, pivoting at the bottom, meaning I could use my lower fingers for throttle and leaving my fore and middle fingers for brakes. It's also a bit slimmer, which I liked.

(PS cinereus, sent you a PM)

Thanks. So I can safely rule out the Parajet one.

Is the Vittorazi also 3rd/4th finger? And if so what are the differences between that and the Polini?

I love the toughness of the Parajet throttle, it's what I'm currently using and keep coming back to - It's the throttle I've used most in the past ten years as it just reliably works and takes the knocks. It can feel a bit cold in sub-zero temperatures. Good recessed and reliable buttons and the cruise control is consistent. 

I used the Polini for about three years and trimmed the lever not long after getting it as it is definitely too long. Found it okay to use but too often I accidentally rubbed the kill switch on the risers, especially during a nil wind launch. I've known people have issues with the wiring failing although I didn't have that problem.  

I thought the Vitto throttle was surprisingly comfortable but felt like it was going to fall to bits at any minute (it didn't). If it withstands abuse it would be worth looking at. But I have little time using that throttle.

For about three years I used a Chamelion Finger Throttle which I really liked - take a look at it as it's quite a different approach. It was great for keeping your hands usable and I thought it was very ergonomic. I didn't like that you could knock the off switch accidentally but in reality that rarely happened. Mine was the v1 and I think the latest are v3. That company also makes another 'outside the box' throttle which looks interesting. I'd go back to a Chamelion without protest. 

Don't be scared of experimenting with different throttles or even going from right to left handed, it's actually really easy and your brain adapts quickly. 

Good luck with your quest. :-) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cinereus said:

Thanks. So I can safely rule out the Parajet one.

How strange!

I had a Parajet one and needed to replace it.  I was given a Polini one to try and buy if I liked it.

Well, after 10 flights I purchased a second hand Parajet throttle again and love it.

Just think it is sturdy and fits well in your hand.  Cruise control does not get in the way and I have never used it to date.

As Steve said - best to experiment different types.

Now I'm even more confused. People have told me over and over not to get the Parajet throttle now people are saying it's great. 

I've asked literally three times which users find preferable out of the Vitto and Polini and why and nobody has been able to even give a basic comparison.

It is useful to hear that apparently the Vitto is better than the Polini but potentially less study though so thanks for that. 

I didn't realise deciding between three throttles would be such a palaver...

On 11/09/2020 at 17:57, paraflyer17 said:

Isnt that the polini one? The vittorazi is only on 1/2 fingers anyway I believe.

Really? So now I'm even more confused. People keep banging on about which fingers is best without actually answering the question about which throttle is which. Are you saying the Vittorazi is a 1st/2nd finger throttle not a 3rd/4th?

If so which of my three options is actually 3rd/4th?

Yep, ask a question about personal choice and you'll get a split decision. In the end the answer lies with you - do you prefer a throttle where the trigger is pivoted at the top or the bottom, ie do you want to use your trigger finger or ring finger, leaving the others for brakes. You won't know until you try so I suggest you play with the ones at your school to see with you prefer. The differences between the vittorazi / Polini are minor (I thought they were the same and didn't realise there was a choice from parajet, ie parajet supplied vittorazi motors with Polini throttle 😀).

As the saying goes, suck it and see  

23 hours ago, Steve said:

.For about three years I used a Chamelion Finger Throttle which I really liked - take a look at it as it's quite a different approach. It was great for keeping your hands usable and I thought it was very ergonomic. I didn't like that you could knock the off switch accidentally but in reality that rarely happened.

I'd go back to a Chamelion without protest. 

Don't be scared of experimenting with different throttles or even going from right to left handed, it's actually really easy and your brain adapts quickly. 

Good luck with your quest. :-) 

Having seen mixed reviews and now Steve you admit to using it for a long period of time ;), i think i will fit mine over the winter as sounds like it could help with my intentions of competition task flying, especially if leaving me for more hands free usage and my thinking is Cruise can be good on XC's :D

3 hours ago, kiwi k said:

Having seen mixed reviews and now Steve you admit to using it for a long period of time ;), i think i will fit mine over the winter as sounds like it could help with my intentions of competition task flying, especially if leaving me for more hands free usage and my thinking is Cruise can be good on XC's :D

I sold the machine that it was on which is the only reason I stopped using it. It certainly did free up my hands a lot to do other stuff easily. From what I can see, the newer versions look to be be even better. I found the cruise control was very useful and I liked the fact you could ratchet it up or down really easily, but the downside of that was that sometimes the position you actually wanted was 'between ratchets' if that makes sense. That may have been improved on the newer versions (mine was the mk I). 

Keep us posted on how you find it Kiwi. :-) 

10296245_10152490215689664_2065126733527755516_o.jpg

12 hours ago, chrsfrwll said:

Yep, ask a question about personal choice and you'll get a split decision

Absolutely. Just not having seen or used any of them I have no idea which is which. So even if people want to explotan why they like one or another and what each is like is going to be very useful for me. 

Just now, cinereus said:

Absolutely. Just not having seen or used any of them I have no idea which is which. So even if people want to explotan why they like one or another and what each is like is going to be very useful for me. 

Ask your instructor whether he can give you machines with a variation of throttles to try (if he has them, of course). Where are you training?