South West Scotland

Hi all,  after a couple of years of thinking about it I've decided to get into this. As I'm in my late 50's I'm thinking along the lines of a trike. I haven't bought any gear or done any training yet as I'd like to chat with some experienced pilots first to make sure that my thinking is right before spending k's!

Is there anyone in SW Scotland that I could meet up with, watch them set up and fly (with or without a trike) if possible and pick their brains?

Edited by AndyR
  • Upvote 1

There were a couple of guys around Dumfries jibber jabbering on here about getting airborne a while ago... Not sure how far they got.
A trike might not be a terrible idea if you are unfit but foot launching is way more versatile if you can still run at a reasonable lick :) 
My legs are getting old so I'm not far from needing a trike myself.

I don't envy anyone trying to get into the sport these days as training schools seem to be sparse....

Training is the most bombproof way of staying safe and getting airborne (at our age :)  ) so personally, I would forgo getting any gear and find a school if you can face the cost and pain of intermittent weather windows // travel.

IF you then catch the bug, you will find the cost of gear reasonably easy to stomach and you will be better armed for selecting suitable kit. 
If you are set on getting it done, the hardest part is being you :)  >>>>> EDIT: The hardest part is *Behind* you... lol although "being" you might well be a handful<<<<<<

Edited by Blackburn Mark
Spell check!!!

I think Dan Kettle does training out of the Lake District area. Don't know of any other northern ones.

Foot launching is really fun but you do need to be very fit. I am disabled, 57, and still foot launched until the end of 2019 when I finally became too bent (back deformity) so built a trike. The issue I have with my trike is it needs much better take off/landing field than with feet. I used to take off in 18" deep grass when running!

2 hours ago, AndyR said:

Hi all,  after a couple of years of thinking about it I've decided to get into this. As I'm in my late 50's I'm thinking along the lines of a trike. I haven't bought any gear or done any training yet as I'd like to chat with some experienced pilots first to make sure that my thinking is right before spending k's!

Is there anyone in SW Scotland that I could meet up with, watch them set up and fly (with or without a trike) if possible and pick their brains?

You could put your details in here and see if it finds anything close to you.

https://parajet.com/find-your-instructor/ 

Thanks for the replies guys.

Foot launching is out of the question for health reasons, but i do (I think!) understand the comparative limitations of a trike.

I've used the Parajet Instructor search and there seems to be at least 1 within a couple of hours, but at this stage I'd really rather just chat informally to someone experienced rather than pay large amounts of cash just to help me make a decision.

I have no problem with travelling to make that happen, if anyone feels like it!

16 minutes ago, AndyR said:

large amounts of cash just to help me make a decision.

Ah... I thought you had decided.
Getting yourself to the right place at the right time for a jibber jabber might be a bit trickier than you think.
Weather windows can be narrow and short notice meaning pilots might only know they are flying five minutes before they set off to their field.
Have a look at the members map to see if there is anyone within a reasonably short drive, twist their arm for their launch site, watch the weather for sub 10mph winds and loiter :) 
https://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Pilots tend to be quiet and detached before launch but I have yet to meet a pilot who wont talk your ear off if you catch one after they have just landed!

1 hour ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Ah... I thought you had decided.

I have, at least as far as committing to learning goes, but I have a loooooong list of questions, including many about training. I'm just as happy to meet up for a pint/coffee if anyone's up for it!

Equipment isn't cheap, as you all know much better than I do, so a good conversation about who bought what and why, and what they think of it after use would go a long way to helping me make purchase decisions. I'm afraid I put little faith in company websites or sponsored athletes/instructors to be truly honest. That's a view based on many years experience as a winter mountaineer, where the right kit used the wrong way can kill you as easily as the wrong kit.

2 minutes ago, AndyR said:

wrong kit.

Short story:
More than twenty years ago, I scoured the Loot (anyone remember that rag?) and bought a solo 210cc paramotor with a Airwave Harmony (safe simple wing) and taught myself to fly (NOT recommended, I was younger and still made of rubber back then)
Think I payed £2000 all in and the gear was mint.
It was a reasonably lucky buy because I didn't know enough about gear (or more importantly, good weather conditions) 

I didn't really take to powered flight but fell in love with free-flight, sold the motor and got fifteen years of obsessed joy out of that.... Then got a bit bored and flew occasionally until I decided to give power another twirl :) 
Fell in love with flying power this time.

Bought a smashed Bailey's (four stroke // very efficient good for long xc flights) £1300, rebuilt it and I already had a wing with a value of maybe £300 and I enjoyed the sport that much I splashed another £1700 on a Kougar 2 wing.

It can be done reasonably cheaply (especially if you have lots of tools and a bit of know-how)
Its tough to know how you will respond to the sport.
I don't recommend teaching yourself!
I don't recommend buying gear until you know you are hooked.
I am "almost" loathed to say get training because it can be pricey and "might" be wasted.... But I couldn't recommend anything else and maintain a clear conscience. 
Bit of a rock and a hard place.

Paramotoring (and free-flight) are a pretty frustrating sports, peppered with disappointment, occasionally terrifying even after thousands of hours experience, smelly, heavy, noisy, a tad dangerous.... But every now and again, you will find yourself thousands of feet above the ground tiptoeing the tops of clouds or skimming  a mountain 50 miles from home.... it can be BLISS.

• Like 1

Motors and wings particularly have come on in leaps and bounds. For a newbie wing they are easier to launch and more forgiving than a few years ago.

I have bough both my serious wings 2nd hand, the last one with 20 hours for £2K. Anything with 20-30 hours should still be virtually as good as new and by the time you have put 100 hours on it you will be looking to upgrade probably.

Wings should last 400-500 hours or more if looked after however I don't know of anyone flying one continuously for that period. There is lots and lots to learn so make sure you get on with your instructor. Have you got any of the PPG books to start with?

14 hours ago, alan_k said:

Wings should last 400-500 hours or more if looked after however I don't know of anyone flying one continuously for that period.

This is true (mostly) all my friends used to love getting new wings... I personally didn't like having to surrender all that experience so would fly one until I lost faith in its ability to survive a nose down spiral or SAT... I even bought a new line set for one when they started breaking at 60% under load test.... That was back in the days when Ozone used to use that rubberized, long lasting wing material.

I'm not sure if its old age or the fact I am now on a reflex wing but I am seldom as comfy as I used to be when it gets hairy :) 

Interesting stuff Mark, not sure I would have waited until 60% load test.

I do have a ReAction that has 318 hours on it and came back from the factory with a 'Very Good' report, however it is now in the slow category so will probably never be flown again. 

8 minutes ago, alan_k said:

not sure I would have waited until 60% load test

Haha.... yep, I know exactly where you are coming from!
There is some margin though:
With some rough calculations, using only A and B lines, 60% would still give me approx. 10G before line failure... Call it 6G because of the bias on the center A lines.
A nose down spiral might be 3 or 4G maybe a tad more in a SAT entry so there is some wiggle room but 60% was enough to make me splash the cash on a new set (£100 if my memory serves me right)

6 minutes ago, AndyB said:

Lol. I don't think I have ever passed 0.5g or 1.5g total including me! My wing will last 40 years.

I am right with you these days.... Give me a simple meander in smooooth air over rivers and meadows with a jam buttie in one hand and a pop in the other and I am done.... 0G is just about right :) 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Skipper101 said:

skye based

A double edge sword....
On the one hand, the best looking landscape in the UK to fly over and on the other, miles away from anywhere!

The Scottish weather window might be a bit narrower than it is for most of us and you have the mountains churning the wind into lumps on their lea side.... I personally would still want to get airborne up there given half the chance... You are likely to going to need to obsess more than most over weather details. 

I really hope you crack this, it would be nice to have someone on Skye reporting back here with mind boggling photos :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hey 

Im really sorry I couldn’t  acknowledge this before now , almost a month later

but Thankyou for your encouraging words ,  me too I REALLY think this has to be some of the most dramatic scenery and I copy your weather , Yep Lee sides and precipitation and Atlantic will add to the challenges but I err on precaution and planning

I will post as this thing takes off and won’t forget yourvweather advice. Thankyou

• Like 1

• 11 months later...