Wasp paramotors UK

Justin

Hi,

I'm half way through my paramotor conversion course so I'm on the lookout for a new paramotor. My priorities are lightweight, low hangpoints, a clutched engine & easy assembly.

I've been looking with interest at the Wasp paramotor with the EOS 100 Booster engine (wasppg.com) which seems to tick all the boxes. Has anyone any experience with this unit? There doesn't seem much information out there on the web other than from their website so I'm interested to learn other people's opinions on it. 

Im also interested in the Miniplane Top 80, but it seems a bit of a hassle to assemble/disassemble. This is an important issue for me as I would have to break it down for storage & transport. 

Any input would be most welcome. 

Thanks. 

Hi Justin, 

It may be worth looking at the Parajet Maverick with the EOS 100 booster engine in it. :-) (not yet advertised but IS available) all up is 20kg exactly and although in the light weight category still offers a good strong titanium frame, low hang points, and the best customer service in the industry. 

We have a Mav 185 at the school, (near Swindon) and I am sure Parajet can arrange for you to se the mav with the 100 engine. 

Link to article: 

SW :D  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi again morgy, I've gone for a Miniplane Top 80 in the end. A guy in my local club was selling it with less than 5 hours use & only 12 months old so it has the new type frame. It worked out perfect really as I've just completed my paramotor conversion on Miniplane & this made up my mind what I wanted. No doubt there are lots of good machines out there, but having the chance to fly one is a huge bonus. 

A bit awkward to rig & de-rig but is lovely & light & a well proven machine. 

Thanks again,

Justin

15 minutes ago, adamjedgar said:

Shouldnt these paramotor weights be quoted with fuel and reserve chute installed?

In reality a 21kg unit is going to be a good 7-10kg more at its actual flying weight.

Trouble with that is different makes of reserves can have big differences in weight & some machines can opt for bigger size tanks. Also a lot of people don't always fly with a full tank of fuel so I guess it's much easier & more accurate to give dry/empty weights. Most car & motorcycle manufacturers do so too. 

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

Most cars and motorcycles do not fly.

Part of the problem in not quoting both dry and wet weights is that, and this happens a lot, people are conned into thinking a particular paramotor is the "lightest on the market" because standard equipment needed to fly is not included in weight. I have also seen engine weights quoted as being "ready to fly" with no exhaust amd no prop!

Not trying to disrespect manufacturer but the 55lb weight quoted on the flat top for example is the small engine size (which i think from memory is about 80cc), no fuel, and no reserve. Who flies with it like that...who even flies such a tiny engine?

The other issue i have with this method is this, when choosing a wing how do you size it? You take your flying weight and put yourself in the middle of the weight range.

So a newbie gets a misquoted flying weight due to bullshit marketing drivel that is 12-15kg below the actual flying weight, purchases a wing too small...finds out the hard way that takeoff speed is higher than specified, landing speed is higher than expected, and the wing essentially goes up an En rating because it is being flown heavy...(purchasing for the middle based on misquoted light flying wwights, and in reality being 15kg heavy with full kit will put you over maximum certified weight for ppg wings) quite likely the certification pilot thought they were flying under is also invalid because they are outside weight range for wing.

A brand new wing gets listed on the market for sale second hand reason for listing, the wrong size. (How often do we see this...far too often!)

• 2 weeks later...

Every paramotor you buy needs fuel and should have a reserve, I see no point in quoting a wet weight, what reasoning?

Heavier pilot will need more fuel and larger reserve vs a lighter pilot on the exact same machine.

My Air Conception Nitro 19.5kg plus reserve which is 1.2kg plus Y bridle and connections 200 grams. nearly 21kg. How much fuel should I quote? full tank or 1 hours flying.

1 hours flying add 3kg (4 litres of fuel), so now 24kg ready to fly. Plus me at 85kg. plus my wing at 4.5kg. plus gps, helmet, gopro.

I could add the exact same setup to a Maverick at 24.5kg and be at 28.9kg but for me this does not fit with my reserve chute. So with that I would need to upgrade my reserve chute to a larger one, 1.6kg for a posh one, being heavier and the moster fuel burn I should add another litre of fuel (5 litres total) for my 1 hour flight I'm now 30kg ready to fly.

Not everyone is willing to pay nearly £800 for a super light reserve chute. a £450 reserve chute can be 2kg for me or for a larger pilot reserves go up to 3kg or so.

Now you can see how it all varies with fuel and pilot weight affecting reserve chute choice.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
37 minutes ago, Paul Shotan said:

I bought my WASP from Roberto two years ago and I have yet to find a more reliable, lighweight or good looking machine. Plus of course dedicated support from the man himself is unbeatable. LOVE IT and looking forward to the new 4-section frame and the long awaited 4-stroke Quattro.

Just out of curiosity what other motors have you had? Cheers

1 hour ago, Paul Shotan said:

I bought my WASP from Roberto two years ago and I have yet to find a more reliable, lighweight or good looking machine. Plus of course dedicated support from the man himself is unbeatable. LOVE IT and looking forward to the new 4-section frame and the long awaited 4-stroke Quattro.

Just out of curiosity what other motors have you had? Cheers

ive watched all the scout vids about paramotor design and suspension and its amazing how much work seems to of gone into those things, at a price i know. I just wonder if the same amount of r&d goes into these other makers or weather they just wing it or copy others. Just thinking curious

I trained on a custom titanium frame with Nitro 200 and it was that experience that sent me on the path to the WASP Titanium with EOS150. After training I bought a Flymec Carbon Sky 110S which felt surprisingly heavy, unbalanced with the top radiator and didn't suit me at all.

I'm an older pilot, pretty unfit and I needed the lightest. most comfortable rig I could find and the WASP ticked all the boxes for me. It has power, strength. light weight and reliability backed up by great personal support from WASP. I couldn't ask for anything better. This is purely my opinion based on my own experience and of course we all have our preferences and flying styles but I have yet to find fault with the rig. In combination with an Ozone Spyder 2 I can launch easily in most conditions.

Hi Justin

For a little extra I would recommend going for the latest 2020 version EOS150 rather than the EOS100 booster. It is a superb motor with all the power and reliability you could want with incredibly low weight. Give Rob Ferrero a call at www.wasppg.com for details.

How does this new WASP compare with the Maverick?. Ive not seen one up close yet but will hopefully get to see Rob soon. Just though i would ask you guys what you think. Is the wasp mid or low hang point? 

I have no experience of the Maverick as I was guided foremost by weight and power. The best thing is to get them both on your back and see how they feel. That will tell you what suits you best according to your body build, fitness and what will match your flying needs.  Spec sheets only tell you the bare technicalities but beyond that you need to know what feels "right" for you. I know Rob is more than happy to demo the rig and advise you ............ without pushing for sales!
www.wasppg.com