Brand new and hoping for advice

Hello all, 

This is my very first post after registering yesterday. I've spent the last 24 hours pouring over countless posts. :-)

The more I read the more I want to learn to paramotor. My questions are, if anyone could spare two minutes to give advice;

*I'm 6'4 and 22st (139kg), will this cause any major headaches? Or will I just need an easyjet engine as a motor? :-)
*I live near Warrington (between Liverpool and Manchester). Does anyone have any recommendations for any flight schools? I don't mind travelling and checking into a nearby hotel for a intensive course (really didn't want to say "crash"). Costwise, like most, I really need to keep down. Any suggestions? 

I had been looking at;
http://www.airways-airsports.com/flying/paramotoring/paramotoring-courses-and-costs
However got confused with differentiating between; "Club Pilot Power" and "Paramotor" courses? 

I also saw on this forum;

https://www.paramotorclub.org/store/product/4-full-paramotor-training-course/

I thought £900 is fantastic value for money, considering other sites charge thousands. Does anyone have any feedback? 

Thank you in advance. 
Mike. 

Edited by LifeBeneathTheStars

10 hours ago, LifeBeneathTheStars said:

Hello all, 

This is my very first post after registering yesterday. I've spent the last 24 hours pouring over countless posts. :-)

The more I read the more I want to learn to paramotor. My questions are, if anyone could spare two minutes to give advice;

*I'm 6'4 and 22st (139kg), will this cause any major headaches? Or will I just need an easyjet engine as a motor? :-)
*I live near Warrington (between Liverpool and Manchester). Does anyone have any recommendations for any flight schools? I don't mind travelling and checking into a nearby hotel for a intensive course (really didn't want to say "crash"). Costwise, like most, I really need to keep down. Any suggestions? 

I had been looking at;
http://www.airways-airsports.com/flying/paramotoring/paramotoring-courses-and-costs
However got confused with differentiating between; "Club Pilot Power" and "Paramotor" courses? 

I also saw on this forum;

https://www.paramotorclub.org/store/product/4-full-paramotor-training-course/

I thought £900 is fantastic value for money, considering other sites charge thousands. Does anyone have any feedback? 

Thank you in advance. 
Mike. 

Hi Mike, On the plus side. your weight is almost irrelevant :-) you just get bigger more powerful kit to match :-) 

We are down near Swindon so maybe logistics could be a problem? 

Give me a bell when you get a moment for a chat! 07983 428 453

SW :D

That's actually a valid point about learning here set's you up better for flying here. 

We have a good number of people who come to our field for extra training that have learned in Spain or France. It seems to be that anything but a totally perfect day tends to be the main cause for concern 'reason we see them' they also tent to arrive with a fear (rather than heathy respect) of thermals. 

Loads of people who do a week in Spain and or France also tend to lack the general confidence which would be expected from one of our students. This is almost certainly because a week is not long enough to build confidence in many cases. 

Not always the case.. I don't know anyone who offers one week training to Pilot?? Spain and France can be perfect but also thermic, more so than the UK..  If time is on your hands and you are happy to travel too an instructor that is close too you then all good... Many Pilots have to travel 1hour plus for training, only to arrive at a wet field and get blown out or canceled due to wet conditions or spring thermals..  

put it this way.. two weeks in Spain equals to two months approx of UK weekends if you get the weather!!  you could be looking at 3 months + 

work out your travel costs, cost of instruction, time lost traveling and waisted days on a cold field, VS warn sunny weather I know what i would choose!!!

Not knocking any UK instructor as there are many Great instructors out there and I have no connection with any facility in France or Spain just my 2 cents...   

Not always the case, no. But we see enough of them to know it's an issue. 

I could count the number of day's where we got to the field and it was not workable over the last 12-months on one hand :-)

We just do an idiot check the evening before and make a collective decision. It's worked brilliantly well for the last 10 years or so.

Each to there own... but give me warm sunny 20c over a damp wet field any day..  pilots learn quicker and don't have to re learn due to long lay offs between flying weekends or days..  Having learnt to fly Hang glider and a sail plane in the UK  it takes ages HG EP I was lucky and got it down in two weeks CP took me 6 months to finsh !! one reason why i went to Omarama NZ to get solo in a single seater, getting there in 2-3 weeks compared to a fellow pilot who was still trying 1 year later... same goes for my PG flying learning in NZ flying nearly every day... 

Going abroad may not be possible for some people... But from my experience it's quicker and much enjoyable... 

3 minutes ago, cas_whitmore said:

I'm not in anyway taking sides far from it'

a new pilot who recently got trained for a week in Europe ask to fly with me .which I welcome. Also said be nice if I could talk him in on finals just as voice in his ear that's all' for the first few times . Just for a confidence boost .  

Cas 

We do the same down here Cas... All new pilots need help and advise no matter where they learn..  

22 minutes ago, cas_whitmore said:

I think what I was trying to say was ' it's a lot to learn in a week ' if you went somewhere knowing  nothing '

cas.

who does one week to pilot rating?? EP in a week yes then CP or Pilot the next..   If it take longer than 2 weeks for CP in Spain then just imagine how long it would take in the UK just doing weekends!!! ;-)