Chameleon throttle

Looking for info on and experiences with the Chameleon throttle. I have a friend that is going to install one on his Air Conception. Just a few days ago he chopped his throttle cable clean off in his prop. All caught on Gopro. He had to ditch it in the river and would have died had it not been for the folks on the bank that came to his rescue.

Is it a good type of throttle?

Do they have a good track record?

Anyone have any tips for proper or improper install and use?

Are they safe? what can happen.

Thanks Al

They have pros and cons.

Fitting is simple enough, attaching to the carb can be fiddly depending on what's already there.ie grub screw or machined end and a slot.

Pros.

Really comfy in flight,

No bulky throttle on take off

Very accurate throttle inputs

Cruise control is very good and easy to alter or disengage in flight.

Three fingers free all the time for brake.

Comes in left or right hand options.

Cons.

Even strapped down with extra straps it can turn on your wrist making reaching the cut off button with your thumb difficult.

On a forward launch the above can come into play if you need to abort. Although a work around is possible if you were to experiment.

Your finger tends to be stuck out there and gets cold. That said you can use it with thick gloves or put cruise on and slip it off your finger.

Although the off switch can be difficult to reach it seems easy enough to catch and unintentionally kill the engine.

On the cons I've been really picky, unfairly so, to give every thing I can think of. Personally it's a cracking piece of kit. I have one, so has my dad. If your accomplished at your fowards so having to worry about aborting isn't an issue then the main drawback isn't really an issue.

I also must say. I'm learning about quite a bit here on this site and also many new or never used words here in the States. Kit?

Al

It would tickle me to know what some of those words are :-)

I remember my wife giving me a kidney punch in San Fran, when we were stood waiting to cross the road and I said to her I was 'desperate for a fag' which in the UK is a Cigarette rather than a person.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

SW :D

Fanny pack always had me wondering??

As for a beginner using. Personally I think having you thumb over an easily reachable cut off switch out weighs coping with a cluttered hand. So I'd learn on a standard throttle and move on to one latter. But that's just me.

Cheers Lee.

• 2 weeks later...

I also must say. I'm learning about quite a bit here on this site and also many new or never used words here in the States. Kit?

Al

It would tickle me to know what some of those words are :-)

I remember my wife giving me a kidney punch in San Fran, when we were stood waiting to cross the road and I said to her I was 'desperate for a fag' which in the UK is a Cigarette rather than a person.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh that and a few other words in the wrong place will get you in trouble. Much like snatch box and pussy. Which can all be found in a kids film.

Fanny pack always had me wondering??

As for a beginner using. Personally I think having you thumb over an easily reachable cut off switch out weighs coping with a cluttered hand. So I'd learn on a standard throttle and move on to one latter. But that's just me.

Cheers Lee.

Good advise. Thanks for responding. I haven't been on this site for a few days.

Al

Hi Al,

kit = equipment, bits and pieces associated with a particular sport or hobby.

Could be fishing kit, diving kit, football kit, etc.

Cheers,

Alan

For us in the states. Things come in a kit or package and need to be assembled. Once assembled they are no longer referred to as a kit. But we say it came as a kit.

But we have a "shaving kit". Comprised of razor, foam, soap, shampoo, tooth brush, tooth paste and anything else you may use in the bathroom on travel while away from home.

Al

Our flying kit is the same as your shaving kit. :-) lol

Paramotor Club cannot accept responsibility for any injury caused by attempting to use a paramotor for the purpose of shaving.

Personally, I would recommend not shaving at all as the safest course of action.

Why do none of the emoticons have facial hair?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I spoke with my buddy using the Chameleon throttle. He says it is taking some getting used to and that the spring is too strong. He's trimmed it off and feels it's still is a little too strong.

I hope he gets it right before it's the cause of another crack up. It just doesn't sound like a throttle I'm going to purchase.

Al

I've had one on my paramotor for a year and a half and the spring being too strong is not an issue. I think your mate has either installed it incorrectly or has another issue.

The main issue I find is that you need to be very careful that the cruise doesn't get knocked on while you are faffing about before starting the motor. If you have electric start then this problem won't happen thanks to it's design but if you have a pull start then you need to make sure that the cruise is off before you pull the cord. Of course the motor will be on your back before starting and nobody will be in your clear zone so it will be manageable if it does happen.

I find the cruise on long XCs to be awesome and fine-tuneable. Uncluttered hands allows for easier photography and more riser/brake control when taking off and landing.

Don't ever recall any problems with the throttle turning so the kill switch couldn't be reached. The throttle can be adjusted to suit your needs with a choice of finger bars and pads.

As a beginner and using one on a school paramotor for the first time for my pilot rating I found that it would slip forward and then trying to reach the kill button was bloody hard.

Also hold your hand up and flex all your fingers,you have to concentrate not to flex the index finger slightly.

A brand new one (as opposed to a very worn school one) would probably solve that.

Very expensive

Just as an aside:

We are currently teaching a guy to fly, 'also a commercial airline pilot' and his paramotor has a one of these throttles.

I can honestly say that he is having minor but very real and unique difficulties with the throttle use. Timing, amount, and smoothness. I have checked it and is seems to be routed perfectly.

I guess what I am getting at is, if you take away all of your individual experiences place it in the hands of someone who has non, look at the results, and there is if not an answer, some fairly strong evidence that suggests this throttle does make things a little harder. (if only at the start)

I see your point Si but don't know if it is actually harder. For me one of the biggest pains when learning was having hands full of too much stuff when launching. We're all different though.

The Cameleon has just had an update which will also be available to modify v2 throttles: http://www.xcmag.com/2015/08/aef-release-cameleon-v3-paramotor-throttle-controller/

I have been using this throttle since my third flight really like it.For take off your hands areless cluttered which makes it slightly easier.In flight its comfy and responsive.I haven't used the cruise control yet so cant comment on that.

A couple things to bear in mind.You need to keep you throttle finger outside of brakes as you can inadvertently switch off the engine.You may need to make a few extra straps to hold the cable on your arm to stop it moving around.

I find it an excellent piece of kit that has been well thought out.